What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Bad mom's 2. 6/10

Yeah... It's a xmas feel good film with some funny moments but ultimately annoying.
Kids Swearing and Sheldon's mum character are the 2 highlights, there I just saved you a tenner.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Valerian was pretty good in my opinion. 6.5-7/10. I thought Cara Delavigne was good but perhaps thats just because I think she is beautiful. Special effects were stunning and I generally enjoyed the film.

Soldato
Blade Runner - The Final Cut.

Why is this film loved so much? Absolutely nothing at all happened in the film, some replicants kill a few people but it ended so poorly i was left thinking WTF? Looks great in 4K though, i'll give it that.

If someone can explain how this is a 'Classic', that would be much appreciated because to me, it's easily forgettable.

Man of Honour

Why is this film loved so much? Absolutely nothing at all happened in the film, some replicants kill a few people but it ended so poorly i was left thinking WTF? Looks great in 4K though, i'll give it that.

If someone can explain how this is a 'Classic', that would be much appreciated because to me, it's easily forgettable.
I was underwhelmed when I watched it too. Stylistically excellent, very original (particularly for the time) but the narrative is not great and it’s not very exciting.

Lilo and Stich - continuing my run of family films, this started off really well and completely nosedived about 2/3rd of the way through when the ‘family drama’ was replaced by ‘space chase with forgettable supporting chracters’. Not a classic but he first portions are bemusing - was surprised to see a Disney film dealing with social services taking away a child from its guardian due to poor treatment / anti social behaviour. That section was good and very funny. 5.5/10

Soldato
Lilo and Stich - continuing my run of family films, this started off really well and completely nosedived about 2/3rd of the way through when the ‘family drama’ was replaced by ‘space chase with forgettable supporting chracters’. Not a classic but he first portions are bemusing - was surprised to see a Disney film dealing with social services taking away a child from its guardian due to poor treatment / anti social behaviour. That section was good and very funny. 5.5/10

My absolute favourite Disney film and where my username comes from. I agree it loses it's way towards the end and becomes quite generic...don't watch the sequels or the series, they aren't great.

It does deal with a serious issue and think that's where a lot of my love for the film comes from, certainly resonated with me. Could also strangely relate to Stitch when i first saw this in my early 20's and feeling a bit lost in the world :D

Also felt like one of the last "classicly" animated Disney movies before almost everything ended up CG based, which I love but I certainly miss this style.

Permabanned

For quite a few people (myself included), it may take a few watches before you start to understand it's brilliance. It's partly it's stylistic choices that make it so brilliant to watch. That near future, heavily consumerist leaning, neo noir style aesthetics may seem a touch derivative now but at the time, there was NOTHING else that looked and felt like Bladerunner.

Perhaps most significantly, it's the philosophical questions it leaves the audience to ponder that make it so special. Why did Roy save Deckard? Is it right to use a synthetic species PURELY for financial gain? What defines 'being human'? Is Deckard a Replicant? Does being a Replicant matter either way?

Again, many of it's themes may seem derivative (especially within sci-fi which is by in large the most incestuous of genres), but at the time they where fairly new to cinema.

Permabanned
Chinatown

It's criminal that it's taken me this long to watch one of cinemas most iconic movies but hey ho.

Loved it from start to finish. By far Nicholsons greatest performance to date and easily my favourite Polanski film. After years of hearing that Robert Townes script was the greatest ever committed to film, I was a little apprehensive to say the least, but it really is that good. There's a natural ebb and flow to it that's just not all that commonplace in movies these days.

Just superb filmmaking. Can't wait to watch it again!

Caporegime
We watched Jackie last night. JFK gets shot and we follow his wife through the coming days of organising the funeral and moving out of the Whitehouse. Natalie Portman is very good, though I can't say for sure how good as I'm not familiar with Jackie Kennedy in real life. I found the score quite overblown, so was surprised to hear it was Oscar nominated.

Man of Honour
My absolute favourite Disney film and where my username comes from. I agree it loses it's way towards the end and becomes quite generic...don't watch the sequels or the series, they aren't great.

It does deal with a serious issue and think that's where a lot of my love for the film comes from, certainly resonated with me. Could also strangely relate to Stitch when i first saw this in my early 20's and feeling a bit lost in the world :D

Also felt like one of the last "classicly" animated Disney movies before almost everything ended up CG based, which I love but I certainly miss this style.
I know what you mean - on one hand my rating was a bit harsh... but it nosedived so hard that both me and my company went from “haha this is ace” to “man... that ending really sucked”.

Had it maintained the quality of the first half I’d have given it a solid 8.

Associate
Watched Alien Covenant yesterday - up until the last 40 minutes or so I thought it was pretty good, certainly not as bad as I'd feared. Then came the whole Alien universe redraft which rode roughshod over the lore "established" by the books in the extended universe.

It was still ok, and worth a watch but I'm pretty sure any next film that finishes the story will be awful. I have no confidence that they'll have the story planning to do it well.

Back
Top Bottom