What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Don't Breathe:

Started out as the usual home invasion malarkey, just about guessed the 'twist' - did not see the second 'twist'. Not a bad watch, above average so 6 or 7 out of 10.

Split:

Very good first 3/4's. Ending was too out there though. Decent enough up to the point so 7 out of 10.

Soldato
Atomic Blonde: Somewhat disappointing. Some 80's music, good fight scenes, Charlize Theron and James McAvoy are good, but in the end a confusing mish-mash of a script leaves you wondering why people are doing dumb things, and things only get explained at the end with a interesting, but ultimately too-late-to-save-the-film double twist. It tries but fails to capture the 80's cold war and toppling of the Berlin Wall. Oh, and lesbians.
Man, how can you not like that film? :( "Good" fight scenes? The stairway fight is incredible!

Atomic Blonde was one of my favourite films of late.

Caporegime
Captain Fantastic - 8/10

Really enjoyed this. It caused some interesting discussions with my wife and I and we were conflicted about feeling sorry for the Dad. In one hand we did, on the other we felt little sympathy at times. Great watch and gives an interesting perspective both on American society and parenthood.

Soldato
Valerian and the city of a thousand planets. Some interesting things in the movie, the 'virtual' market, the city itself but while, shockingly, Cara was actually decent I didn't find Dane Dehane likeable at all. Like many Luc Besson films it looks amazing, but ultimately didn't satisfy. 6/10.

Hmm, I've been wondering whether to bother with this one or not. I like my sci-fi, and I did enjoy fifth element back in the day, but I don't like some of the so called actors in this and hear plenty of negative comments.....

Hmm, I've been wondering whether to bother with this one or not. I like my sci-fi, and I did enjoy fifth element back in the day, but I don't like some of the so called actors in this and hear plenty of negative comments.....

It's really, really dreadful. I walked out after 15 minutes. The lead actors have no chemistry and you just don't care.

Caporegime
It makes me think they were trying to rip off Avatar but failing to make you care about anything that happens.

I kept thinking Dane Dehane was trying to be like Bruce Willis, if so he was failing hard. It's such a shame how much potential this had for a great sci-fi. Let down by dreadful lead cast and a such wasted scenes. You could cut half the movie out.

Soldato
I didn't think it was that bad to be fair. Perfectly watchable. Walking out is a total exaggeration of how good/bad it is. I'm assuming howie has an unlimited card.

Associate
Happy Death Day (2017) - 7/10

An entertaining slasher horror / comedy film which, although not as scary or funny as it could have been, is still enjoyable to watch.

The plot has some pacing issues but manages to both defy and fit convention in its style and execution.

Great performance from Rothe in the lead and a good range of support characters.

Man of Honour
Valerian is surely intentionally hilarious... I refuse to believe it’s unintentional - every single line the main actor says is like he’s in a parody of every 80s film ever made.

He reminds me of Keane Reeves making fun of himself, playing Neo and Ted at the same time :D

Actually - if you google the Sibling Rivalry review of Valerian on YouTube, it sums of my thoughts perfectly - probably where I stole the Ted comparison from too. Fun vid, watch it :D

Edit - rewatching that its deffo where I got the Ted comparison from but I absolutely was laughing out loud at almost every line of his in the cinema... by myself :o

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom