What film did you watch last night?

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Captain America: civil war. 9/10 fantastic movie, really flew past which is no mean feat given how long it is, now I have to watch Ant Man, & yes I know I'm out of sequence but I'm late to the MU so bite me!. :p

Associate
Thor: Ragnarok (2017) - 6/10

A different approach to the recent superhero genre, focusing on comedy and comic book style action and banter.

The plot doesn’t flow particularly well and although the cast and acting are good, the new characters are hit and miss, much like the large number of jokes.

Most of the jokes are forced and detract from the events in the plot, but some of the comical scenes are great.

The action scenes look superb, as do the 2 very different settings, but overall, the film never truly hooked me.

Associate
The Death of Stalin (2017) - 8/10

An interesting and entertaining satire of a dark time in Russia’s history.
Not really a comedy, but does have funny moments due to the bumbling characters who are well acted by the established cast.
The plot is relatively simple and has good pacing, but I felt it didn’t close out all of the strands effectively.

Soldato
Murder on the Orient Express - 5/10 - Average and to be honest Brannagh was the main problem in the character. The wife is french and as an observation felt Suchet's character was more absorbing.

Thor: Ragnorok - 7/10 - good romp, fun jokes and the characters felt like characters, a little bit of the plot line needs attention to hold together. Jeff B's opening scene was awesome but faded on direction.

Caporegime
Valerian and the city of a thousand planets. Some interesting things in the movie, the 'virtual' market, the city itself but while, shockingly, Cara was actually decent I didn't find Dane Dehane likeable at all. Like many Luc Besson films it looks amazing, but ultimately didn't satisfy. 6/10.

Soldato
Atomic Blonde: Somewhat disappointing. Some 80's music, good fight scenes, Charlize Theron and James McAvoy are good, but in the end a confusing mish-mash of a script leaves you wondering why people are doing dumb things, and things only get explained at the end with a interesting, but ultimately too-late-to-save-the-film double twist. It tries but fails to capture the 80's cold war and toppling of the Berlin Wall. Oh, and lesbians.

Ghost In The Shell: A pretty good translation of the anime, ie lots of talking scenes, punctuated by violent action scenes full of visual effects. I actually like Scarlett Johanssen in this, and she plays it as a remote, disconnected cyborg policeman, questioning her own history and being. I do think they could have done a bit more with it to make it flow a little better, and maybe not stick quite so much to the style of pacing of the original.

Caporegime
Murder on the Orient Express - 5/10 - Average and to be honest Brannagh was the main problem in the character. The wife is french and as an observation felt Suchet's character was more absorbing.

Heard it was pretty average and decided to watch the ITV version instead. Just found it on YT;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcdbyFzZHHY

Not perfect quality but perfectly watchable, and it's free! :)

Soldato
Is it me or does she walk like a bloke in this? Was very offputting...

Yeah, she's a robot, so she's "acting" when she stomps around to let everyone know. The director was obviously okay with it. The reality is that you'd expect a super-realistic cyborg to be utterly graceful, to the point where it betrays her lack of humanity. They'd have to have code for her to emulate a human who isn't hyper-fast, super-strong and utterly accurate with every move they make.

Caporegime
Yeah, she's a robot, so she's "acting" when she stomps around to let everyone know. The director was obviously okay with it. The reality is that you'd expect a super-realistic cyborg to be utterly graceful, to the point where it betrays her lack of humanity. They'd have to have code for her to emulate a human who isn't hyper-fast, super-strong and utterly accurate with every move they make.

Plus she's still got a brain, so how she used to walk would still have been possible (to a certain extent)

Associate
Passengers 8/10

Interesting concept. Reasonably well executed. Well acted. Jennifer Lawrence required to show more flesh than was needed to tell the story, which shows where Hollywood still has its Gender equality wrong (or more likely sadly knows its customers). Ending was the weak point. Suspect focus groups played a part here.

Associate
Murder on the Orient Express (2017) - 6/10

Echoing the sentiments of others in the thread, its a serviceable and scenic interpretation of the classic “whodunit” murder mystery.

The plot unfolds in a good way, the characters are well reflected and the setting is stylish, but the ending comes about a bit too abruptly and I didn’t like Branagh’s performance as Poirot.

Man of Honour
Captain America - Civil War. I expected this to be watchable. It was merely OK. Fairly weak plot. Not very funny. Supporting superheroes were mostly forgettable. Long. I thought Stark’s guilt leading to him choosing sides was rather forced.

6/10

Back
Top Bottom