What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Daddys Home 2 - 8/10. Its a Christmas film, so expect lots of cheese and rainbows. Its also the usual Will Farrel fare, but for what it is and the warm fuzziness of it, I have to give it a good score. It delivers in what it aims to do, its not going to win Oscars or awards but as a feel good xmas flick, it delivers.
8/10? Hmmm. Colour me sceptical. 17% on RT. Even IMDb only has it at 6.2.

Will Ferrell has done precisely one funny thing in his life, and that’s more cowbell.

Soldato
Wind River is one of my films of the year, I've watched it twice and enjoyed it just as much on repeat viewing, though it is a tough film to watch. It's like a modern day Seven set in and around an Indian reserve, with brilliant acting from all involved.

9/10

Man of Honour
8/10? Hmmm. Colour me sceptical. 17% on RT. Even IMDb only has it at 6.2.

Will Ferrell has done precisely one funny thing in his life, and that’s more cowbell.

Well isnt the point of this thread to post our own scores on a film? My 8/10 for a film may well be a 3/10 for you, likewise your 8/10 film might well be a 3/10 film for me. I rate it an 8/10 because it delivers on what its aiming to achieve, its not an 8/10 necessarily in terms of its historical standing in world cinema, its not a Godfather or a Platoon, but I went to see something that would make me laugh, put me in a good mood and have a cheesy christmassy Love Actually sort of cheesy feel to it, which it delivered for me.

EDIT : I should caveat it for those reading, by saying that I also liked Will Ferrell in Step Brothers, Anchorman, Talledega Nights, Stranger than fiction and Blades of Glory, so as you can see, your belief that he has only done one funny thing and my opinions on him are very different. So not too surprising that we have different tastes when it comes to his films.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well isnt the point of this thread to post our own scores on a film? My 8/10 for a film may well be a 3/10 for you, likewise your 8/10 film might well be a 3/10 film for me. I rate it an 8/10 because it delivers on what its aiming to achieve, its not an 8/10 necessarily in terms of its historical standing in world cinema, its not a Godfather or a Platoon, but I went to see something that would make me laugh, put me in a good mood and have a cheesy christmassy Love Actually sort of cheesy feel to it, which it delivered for me.

God forbid us having our own opinions, tastes and likes!

Man of Honour
In which case 8/10 seems high, but obviously there are significant vagaries in getting people to rate things /10.

Not really, due to as I have also already stated, its only an 8/10 for me. I'm not saying its an 8/10 compared to every movie of every genre in the history of cinema, I'm saying that for me, it delivered an 8/10 for what I was looking for. As I have said, my 8/10 doesnt mean that its an 8/10 for everybody and anybody who watches it and thinks its a 3/10 is wrong, just as I wouldnt say that a film that I rate as a 3/10 that someone else says is an 8/10 means that they are wrong. As an example, I really liked American Hot Wet Summer, but it was slated in the reviews (got something like 30% on RT), doesnt mean that all those people were wrong, just means that they and I have different tastes.

Soldato
Not really, due to as I have also already stated, its only an 8/10 for me. I'm not saying its an 8/10 compared to every movie of every genre in the history of cinema, I'm saying that for me, it delivered an 8/10 for what I was looking for. As I have said, my 8/10 doesnt mean that its an 8/10 for everybody and anybody who watches it and thinks its a 3/10 is wrong, just as I wouldnt say that a film that I rate as a 3/10 that someone else says is an 8/10 means that they are wrong. As an example, I really liked American Hot Wet Summer, but it was slated in the reviews (got something like 30% on RT), doesnt mean that all those people were wrong, just means that they and I have different tastes.

Nothing wrong with your rating. There is no need to defend it. You watched the movie and enjoyed it and gave it a 8/10. Everybody has different taste. Too many people telling other people what they should or shouldn't like.

Man of Honour
Is it 8/10 compared to all other films you’ve seen? Or are you just saying it was 8/10 of what you were hoping for right there and then? Only the latter seems worthlessly subjective!

Its the latter...well...the latter sort of mixed with the former. Its an 8/10 for what I was looking for tonight AND for the genre of cheesy xmas comedies. It was not an 8/10 compared to say The Godfather, The Thing, Platoon or Alien. But for its genre and for what I was seeking tonight, it met what I was looking for. I suppose I am quite fluid in my ratings, dependent upon the mood I am in. For example, if I am not in the mood for anything dark and broody, then I would rate something like Bladerunner lower than normal but if its a night where I am wanting to specifically watch something sci-fi thats slow paced and dark and broody, then I would give Bladerunner a higher score. A film which is a 6/10 for me isnt always and forever going to be a 6/10. Its a 6/10 for what I am looking for at that time combined with a comparison to others of its ilk. In essence, I do not rate out of 10 compared to the entire cinematic history catalogue, I rate out of 10 for what I am looking for in order to fit my entertainment needs at that time. I dont rate films as pieces of artistry and I dont really rate compared to all other films I've seen, I would find it too difficult to compare films from wildly different genres fairly out of 10, I have to compare to their genre rather than all films.

Man of Honour
Nothing wrong with your rating. There is no need to defend it. You watched the movie and enjoyed it and gave it a 8/10. Everybody has different taste. Too many people telling other people what they should or shouldn't like.

Certainly I agree with you that everybody has different tastes. I am just a run of the mill guy in the street, I'm not some cinema guru, nor a film student or a world known film buff, I have no grounds in declaring that my score out of 10 is THE score out of 10 and I am not interested in judging the artistic quality and place in history of a film I've just watched, I just seek to be entertained. My score is merely that, its my score. I dont use this entire thread to make decisions on whether to watch a film, what I do is throughout the thread I note people who have the same tastes as me and I go by their scores, after all it would make no sense at all for me to go and watch something based upon someones score on here who has totally different tastes than me.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Jupiter Ascending. 5/10. visually stunning but the story was an utter mess, Eddie Redmayne spends all his screen time over emoting & trying really hard not to chew the scenery whilst Mila Kunis comes across as having zero talent, & is only there for the pay cheque. Channing Tatum does what he does best, ie flex his muscles & smolder at the camera, meanwhile Sean Bean plays Sean Bean, and he actually makes it all the way thru the movie with out being killed off!. In short, the movie is the perfect example of the phrase style over substance.

Associate
Eddie Redmayne spends all his screen time over emoting & trying really hard not to chew the scenery

The only time I've felt Redmayne could act was in The Theory of Everything. In every other film he's been in I don't think he does the job title of actor justice.

Soldato
Jupiter Ascending. 5/10. visually stunning but the story was an utter mess, Eddie Redmayne spends all his screen time over emoting & trying really hard not to chew the scenery whilst Mila Kunis comes across as having zero talent, & is only there for the pay cheque. Channing Tatum does what he does best, ie flex his muscles & smolder at the camera, meanwhile Sean Bean plays Sean Bean, and he actually makes it all the way thru the movie with out being killed off!. In short, the movie is the perfect example of the phrase style over substance.

Very generous score there.

I saw this a while back and thought it was probably the worst film I had seen that year.

Visually good but the plot was all over the place and the characters very poor.

I'd give it 3/10 max.

Permabanned

It's Vonhelmet, he is the type of guy that anything you say is wrong according to him so there is no point even arguing with him.

In America - 7/10

A family of Irish immigrants adjust to life on the mean streets of Hell's Kitchen while also grieving the death of a child. Paddy Considine plays the lead role.

Soldato
Spiderman Homecoming - erm either six or seven out of ten I suppose. It was alright. It did some things well and some things not so well.

Didn't like Tony stark... As usual, and I found the sidekick kid just annoying. And I know it is spiderman just starting out, but I thought he was a bit weak too.
On the plus side Tom Holland was great, the bad guy was excellent and I like that it was relatively small-scale as spiderman should be.

Not Marvel's best, but could be worse

Soldato
Swallows and Amazons (2016) as a fan of the books and the original film, 5/10. The film is pretty and moderately well acted but the plot got chewed up a bit and made a bit ridiculous by the sexing up for modern audiences. It kind of lost the point of childhood innocence and adventure with the added plot elements.

Back
Top Bottom