What film did you watch last night?

So we shouldn't care about opinions or ratings, but we should give opinions and ratings. Makes perfect sense.

People in this thread are giving their ratings for the movie they watched. It's entirely subjective. It's how much they enjoyed it, not how much you will enjoy it if you watch it.

Come on, at least tag me!

I don’t think it’s worth rating films in this way, as it’s too subjective. If I can’t say that critics are slamming Daddy’s Home 2 and IMDb user ratings are not looking good, then why are others posting as though their pronouncements are at all meaningful? It’s inconsistent.

I certainly dont have an issue with you saying it. I dont have an issue even if you said you think its a 1/10. Everyone has different tastes, got no issue with you not liking the film. Suggesting that someone elses score is wrong tho, that I would have an issue with. Nobodys score, be it a 1/10 or a 10/10 is wrong. For any film. Ever. Its their score. And its their score whether its a score which no review agrees with or whether every review agrees with.

Have to admit, I've seen several films over the last 4 decades which reviewers rave about (especially more than a few multiple Oscar winners) which I have thought were absolutely dire, and I've seen several films which reviewers have despised which I have thought were good. Just different tastes for everyone, nobodys score is right or wrong.

As I alluded to in my earlier post, I absolutely 100% , do not think my scores are meaningful. They are meaningless to anyone other than people whose tastes match mine.

So we shouldn't care about opinions or ratings, but we should give opinions and ratings. Makes perfect sense.

I would say that you should only care about opinions and ratings of someone with the same tastes as you, if 100 people tell me that the latest episode of Coronation Street was one of the best in history, should I care? Of course not, given that I truly despise the show. If 100 people who liked Firefly tell me a new show is superb, should I care, yes obviously, given I loved the show.

EDIT : I should clarify that applies to all things, including books and computer games even. For example, no matter how many random people tell me that a new Harry Potter book is really good, I'm still not going to read it.

Last edited:
La La Land - I don't really know what I was expecting, it was obviously a musical set bright and fun in LA but I can't see how it set the world alight last year and won all (well not all) of those Oscars. 2/5

I really didn’t get what all the fuss was about. You may as well just watch Singin’ in the Rain, which is better in every way.

Films that reference Hollywood and pat the industry on the back for being so clever are always over-hyped. That hype generates money, which is really what it is all about.

Suburbicon (2017) - 4/10

A dark tale set in an idyllic 1950’s American suburb.

The plot isn’t that complex and doesn't really seem to have a point, and the racism plot that runs parallel to the main plot doesn’t really interact with it, fit with the rest of the film, or go anywhere either.

Good acting and attention to detail in the setting, but overall, is slow and not that interesting to watch.

Beetlejuice - 8/10.

Some of it is a bit camp and cringeworthy by modern standards but still watchable and very funny in places.
One film no-one has attempted to remake, yet!

Ah beetlejuice was good fun :) Back when Tim Burton made good films. It is a little camp and cheesy, but that's part of its charm.

Michael Keaton is great in this role.

I really hope they don't do some horrible cash grab reboot :( A female beetlejuice anyone? JJ Abrams directing?

Rememory.

Awkward contribution to the popular and well established sci-fi/mystery/drama/romance genre.

Starring that hairy little dwarf from the Netflix TV show about North American LARPers.

Painfully tedious. Can't even be bothered to rate it.

Ah beetlejuice was good fun :) Back when Tim Burton made good films. It is a little camp and cheesy, but that's part of its charm.

Michael Keaton is great in this role.

I really hope they don't do some horrible cash grab reboot :( A female beetlejuice anyone? JJ Abrams directing?

JJ Abrams? LOL. Hopefully he will have his hands full with the Return of the Jedi remake. :p

There has been talk of a sequel with Burton, Keaton and Ryder returning. Whether it actually materialises, remains to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom