What film did you watch last night?

Excellent post....not because it's right on the money in terms of the film...but a balanced intelligent response on one of the finest war films ever made.

The score itself is terrifyingly breath taking....I went for a coffe after and couldn't speak....My 17 year old was speechless too.

i bought the score because it was so different and intense (i dont think i have ever bought any other soundtracks before)

You did better than me...I managed 40 mins and turned it off...:p

It was one of those films while watching it I realised I was actually wasting my life...
You lot are mental. Atomic Blonde was great fun. That stairway fight scene was brilliant.

We watched Weiner last night. Quite interesting, fairly prescient given everything that's going on. All in all not terribly exciting though seen as it's quite old now and you know everything that happened to him. Interesting clip of Trump saying something like "We cannot have perverts in the New York city hall" or something :rolleyes:

In the end I kinda felt sorry for the guy. He obviously had a problem but he was a great politician by all accounts, very up front and passionate.

Time and time again...people don't like films...that's fine....but at least give a valid reason. I do , so I don't see why there is one rule for one and not for all...

They do, it's called their "opinion" yet because you don't like it or you don't consider it to be "valid" you believe that gives you the right to start an argument by saying things like -

No your post makes no sense. I think you are trying to sound clever but completely failing at it.

Every single time you pipe up in this thread it's to argue that your opinion is the right one and everyone else's is wrong and you can't stop doing it, because this is about the 5th-6th time I've called you out on this exact same thing, especially after the Star Wars Ep7 thread where people ended up having to ask you to leave the thread because they were all so sick of your constant arguing every time someone posted a positive opinion, which was de-railing the thread.

For the last time (I'm not replying again), this isn't a discussion thread where someone posts "I like Film A, what did you think of it" and you can then tell them why they're wrong a hundred times, it's a "what did you watch last night" thread where you tell people what you watched last night and sometimes add an opinion of what you thought, that's all. Having someone then tell you "well your opinion is wrong" in a not very nice way (like your quote above) isn't good for the forum because people don't want to get into an argument over it.

If you want a "film Discussion" thread then start new thread and I will gladly discuss films in that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So can I now post my opinion? Or will that upset you if it doesn't match yours ? Will you get all upset if I disagree?

Just post your own opinion of the film, I don't care if its different than mine because......................IT'S YOUR OPINION.................not mine, so I'm not going to tell you whether I think you're right or wrong because it'll only start an argument, just like your replies above to combat fighter, misschief, x-st and clov!s have started this one.

it's a "what did you watch last night" thread where you tell people what you watched last night and sometimes add an opinion of what you thought, that's all.

And I'll offer my opinion. The thing is here the insecurity if people doubting their own ability to decode film texts...then they get all defensive....

If someone is going to say....Dunkirk was low budget...then I'll argue it.....that's is not an opinion.....it's a statement if fact that is nonsense...

If you are not willing to have film discourse in this thread then don't post....

I'm not saying peoples opinions are wrong...I'm saying certain responses don't make any sense...so elaborate to help me understand.

If you are taking the time to say Dunkirk is ***** then at least provide some depth to your opinion.

If you can't then be prepared be probed about it...

I do tend to prefer more intelligent films rather than just violence and explosions for the sake of it.

I'll definitely watch Dunkirk. Love most of Nolan's movies.

Have you a decent sound system ? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent post....not because it's right on the money in terms of the film...but a balanced intelligent response on one of the finest war films ever made.

The score itself is terrifyingly breath taking....I went for a coffe after and couldn't speak....My 17 year old was speechless too.

One of the finest war films ever made? Get out. :p

Have you seen The Room?

Interesting to see if the film stands on its own with prior knowledge of the seeing The Room first...

No, I haven't seen The Room. I don't think any prior knowledge is necessary, as The Disaster Artist does a good enough job explaining what the film is about, and how bad it is. It shows some comparison shots at the end, which show how the documentary's representation of the scenes actually play out in The Room.

To satisfy my curiosity, I do now want to see The Room, but deep down, know there must be better things to do with my time.

SPR is my top war movie....that film changed me when I saw it. Dunkirk is up there...it's incredible. The whole dreaded tone and build up and tension Omg I've just got goosebumps typing this...

What's your top 3 war films?

I honestly felt no tension when watching it, I didn’t care about any of the soldiers.

I don’t have a top 3, my favourite is saving private Ryan closely followed by the war series Band of Brothers.

If someone is going to say....Dunkirk was low budget...then I'll argue it.....that's is not an opinion.....it's a statement if fact that is nonsense...

Do you use this irritating style of punctuation because you don't know any better, or is it that you think it adds gravitas to your points?
Honest question.

I'm not saying peoples opinions are wrong...

That right there is new sig material :D

I honestly felt no tension when watching it, I didn’t care about any of the soldiers.

I don’t have a top 3, my favourite is saving private Ryan closely followed by the war series Band of Brothers.
This was part of my problem. The film was engaging and very well shot. The cinematography was excellent, I just never felt involved or part of the story which is what all great films do. They draw you into the story. Dunkirk never did that for me.

dunkirk is an excellent thrilling film, with amazing cinematography, certainly the best pure cinema film I have seen in a long time

its just a very focused view of the battle from a few peoples POV (which makes it far more realistic IMHO)
people just get silly ideas about every war film needing to be a massive epic battle or SPR style combat scenes

Agree. Not many movies recently have gotten my full attention. But Dunkirk managed this. Outstanding.

No, I haven't seen The Room. I don't think any prior knowledge is necessary, as The Disaster Artist does a good enough job explaining what the film is about, and how bad it is. It shows some comparison shots at the end, which show how the documentary's representation of the scenes actually play out in The Room.

To satisfy my curiosity, I do now want to see The Room, but deep down, know there must be better things to do with my time.

The Room is amazing....I've seen it maybe twenty times...

Dunkirk, what a load of ****.

Well after an easyrider probe we can now get closer to why you didn't like it...your latter point certainly improves on your former wafer thin response to the film.

Nolans idea was to put the viewer in the place of the characters in the film...No backstory of who or why...all we know is where.

In a way the camera becomes a character, it casts you into what’s happening as directly as possible...From land and sea an air POV all from overlapping timeframes...

Nolan wanted you to become part of it all...So no back stories.... No explanations of how the characters got to where they are. They’re just there.

The emotional responce doesn't come from the rooting of the characters...which is quite frankly astonishing. It comes from your forced dislocation of the unfolding situation. But this dislocation becomes fear and dread and anxiety and hope and death.

Do you use this irritating style of punctuation because you don't know any better, or is it that you think it adds gravitas to your points?

Nope....

This was part of my problem. The film was engaging and very well shot. The cinematography was excellent, I just never felt involved or part of the story which is what all great films do. They draw you into the story. Dunkirk never did that for me.

That was not Nolans intention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nolan wanted you to become part of it all...So no back stories.... No explanations of how the characters got to where they are. They’re just there.

The emotional responce doesn't come from the rooting of the characters...which is quite frankly astonishing. It comes from your forced dislocation of the unfolding situation. But this dislocation becomes fear and dread and anxiety and hope and death.

That's not what happens though. We get the overarching back-story in the form of text at the beginning of the film, but with no prior knowledge of what these soldiers have experienced, nor the incoming threat, there's no sense of connection to the characters or feelings of jeopardy or dread. We get an ominous and minimalistic score to convey this but there's never any reason to care about the majority of the characters as they're never really developed. The only characters that get any real depth are the civilian boat crew, as we see their journey from the start and learn about their history. Empathy with non-combatants is more easy as they share the same experience of the war as we do - as in not being part of it.

Nolan doesn't give me any reason to care about the two dimensional characters and without it there's no tension or fear. It's atmospheric but shallow.

Back
Top Bottom