1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. ElliorR

Sgarrista

Superbad. I really enjoy this film and watch it every now and again.

2. MCMLX

Gangster

Saw this on BBC2 and thought it was brilliant, when it transitions from B&W to colour it is just jaw dropping, really brings it all to life. I don't know if they used lip-readers but the added dialogue was well done too. Nice one Peter Jackson.

3. chris4652009

Mobster

I've yet to watch either of them , got them both on Bluray though

4. Smeghead

Hitman

Widows.

Big fan of Steve McQueen, but I think this is his weakest film. He really excels when he has one central performer with a few supporting characters, but this film, while being excellent performance-wise, plot-wise and character-wise, it felt like a bit too much crammed in. It probably could have benefited from another 20-30 odd minutes to flesh out the other characters outside of Veronica a bit more. Obvious comparison would be to Heat, but Heat is far far better. It's still worth a watch though.

7.5/10

5. Talasour

Gangster

I was in a bad movie moon and watched The Crescent Clown Moon on Amazon Prime and absolutely rubbish, just what I wanted. ;)

6. DrToffnar

Mobster

Aye, heard as much from a few friends who saw it yesterday. He's a masterful Director but even form the trailer alone this flick looked a touch too... what's the word, 'mainstream' for him?

Regardless, still don't think he'll ever beat 'Hunger'. First time I saw that film I felt like taking the week off. Superb in every regard.

7. ianh

Mobster

Mile 22 - 6/10 - Fast paced thriller with little plot other than a twist which can seen a mile off once a single person is introduced. It keep my brain happy for the most part and I enjoyed the first half of the film a lot, probably an 8/10, but it really suffered badly after the "team" entered the apartment complex where it became a pastiche of The Raid with some awful editing added and dropped to a 3-4/10 at best. The twist ending (which you'd already guessed) wasn't effective at all leaving the whole ending a little flat which was a shame. Also, the "debrief after the action" by a survivor meant that you never thought they were in danger no matter what, ruining some of the tension.

Equaliser 2 - 5/10 -
    Denzel's first sequel deserved a much better screenplay than this. The actors generally did a good job but once the revenge for a friend story kicked in the story quality dropped through the floor leading to what I can only describe as a lethal version of Home Alone. The best bit for me were the opening two scenes (Turkey and Taxi) and the story around the apartment block so I'd have rather watched more of that stuff than the very generic "Denzel vs hitmen" story that it became.

8. Robzere31

Mobster

Batman - The Dark Knight 9/10

Still IMO the best Batman film made.

9. Mark A

Capodecina

Watched all the Resident Evil animated films. Damnation and Degeneration were ok, but Vendetta was awful. It was like they saw how popular super hero movies are right now, so they turned Resident Evil into one. They even had a total Bane ripoff as an enemy.

Are there any other animated CGI movies similar to Resident Evil worth checking out?

10. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

Prob not in the same league but only real cgi movies I've watched. I rememeber watching these back in my 1.5 cs days. No idea why it popped in my head and took a while to actually find them. 12 3-4 min episodes

http://www.siddan.net/en/?id=202:ninjai-the-little-ninja-en-gb

11. darkgen

Wise Guy

Idiocracy, based on a comment from another poster in another thread. 2/10
    I'm surprised I made it to the end. Maya looked awfully tacky in it. Infact I felt tacky watching it. Yeah. Tacky.

12. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I felt that it was too long, saw it today and it is 2hrs 20mins without trailers and I left the second the credits started rolling.

I agree it is his weakest film though, I will forget this this time tomorrow.

13. NickK

Capodecina

The new Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald ... 5/10 almost gave it 4/10 but the actors are good. Longest, dullest pre-movie to the next.

14. VoG

Soldato

Incredibles 2.

Visually stunning which is what you'd expect from Pixar but from a story perspective I found it some what underwhelming, it just didn't hit the mark & didn't have the charm of the original.

6.5/10

15. StevieP

Soldato

Could well have been my comment! :D

I probably should have mentioned that it helps if you don't take your brain with you on that particular journey! :p:p

2 out of 10 is a bit harsh tho imo - for me it's one of those films that is so bad, its good!

16. darkgen

Wise Guy

Ahh an attributable culprit!

The idea was there but perhaps it was executed just a little too well. I preferred WALL-E's similar demonstration of it!

17. nands

Mobster

They Shall Not Grow Old - moving and amazing (although not as amazing as some say) documentary about world war one with actual footage from the war made colour and interviews from soldiers from the BBC archives. 4/5

It's on iPlayer BTW.

18. VincentHanna

Capodecina

When I was about eleven in 1993 my older sister rented Wayne's World on video and I thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen

I watched it again tonight and it barely raised a laugh :(

Can't decide if the film that's dated badly or if it's just my sense of humour changing over the years.

Disappointing. 6/10 if I'm being generous.

Makes me wonder if Austin Powers would be funny now.

19. jaws104

Hitman

Felt the same, lacked the charm and the wit

20. bimbleuk

Wise Guy

Takes a while to switch but stick with it and listen to the narration. The affect of the switch is immediate as previously I watched old historical clips with some amusement as the jerky frame rate made them seem almost comical and not real. Not so now as the people suddenly become very real.

9/10 mostly the stories not just the visuals which are needed in this day and age to hold peoples atention.