What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Probably an odd thing to say, but as a Mission Impossible I felt it fell short - yet as an action film it was brilliant and was a really enjoyable experience. Hard to explain, I just don't get the iconic 'Mission Impossible' feel from it, kind of like how I enjoy the Fast & Furious films as fun action films but the last few have felt less 'Fast & Furiousy' - somewhat losing their individual identity but still 'working' as a film. Maybe its the inevitable when a film series gets to be so long

I know what you mean, the last few have felt more like old'ish school Bond to me, Dalton era, a little over the top while being extremely entertaining.

Soldato
Probably an odd thing to say, but as a Mission Impossible I felt it fell short - yet as an action film it was brilliant and was a really enjoyable experience. Hard to explain, I just don't get the iconic 'Mission Impossible' feel from it, kind of like how I enjoy the Fast & Furious films as fun action films but the last few have felt less 'Fast & Furiousy' - somewhat losing their individual identity but still 'working' as a film. Maybe its the inevitable when a film series gets to be so long

I thought the same after watching it. I also noticed with Rogue Nation that it pretty much copied Skyfall instead of doing its own thing. Fallout lacked any sort of tension i.e. something equivalent to the original where Tom Cruise is in the vault. Even just having Ving Rhames sweating in a van on the radio would have been something!

Soldato
A Fistful of Dollars - 7/10 - I really like the "Dollar" trilogy but it's been a while since I've seen this one and it's still really good and the "remastered" version I saw was a fantastic transfer. The story is well written, Eastwood is fantastic although the Italian extras acting abilities are a singular low point. Next up is the original Japanese film "Yojimbo" which "A Fistful" is based upon and then a modern remake by Bruce Willis called "Last Man Standing" which is a favourite of mine.

Caporegime
I think the last couple of MI films have become more like action movies, instead of the devious spy and misdirection films we saw with the earlier ones.

Ummmm, they've been that way since Mission Impossible 2

And remember when in MI3, a missile blast throws Tom Cruise in to a car and he just gets up and keeps running...

I actually think 6 is the best of the series!

Soldato
Possum 9/10

A very dark movie that gets straight to the gloom from the get go. Was behind my hands a few times. A bit slow at the start although it does just build the dread right from the off.

Watched this tonight, very different but pretty good I thought.

Dismal and gloomy, with a real creepiness and sense of foreboding dread. The puppet will probably give me nightmares :p

I'll give it a 6.5/10 I think.

Associate
The 3rd one is more like a proper sequel.

Last night I watched the Exorcist 3 and Freddie64 was spot on; it is the true sequel and makes sense. Exorcist 2 was a wasted opportunity. Whilst the third was okay, a couple of clever moments, I doubt I would watch again (6/10).

The Exorcist just like Jaws, Robocop & Dirty Harry are all films which required no sequels.

Caporegime
A star is born.

Wow...this film is beautiful. Pretty sure everyone in the cinema was crying during this. The music performances were amazing. I thought Lady Gaga did an excellent job. Her voice is so powerful...god it gave me goosebumps a lot of times.

Man of Honour
The Crimes of Grindelwald - don’t make the mistake of watching this without having recently watched the original because there is a continuity with characters that I had completely forgotten about. Quite dark in parts and far less whimsical than the first film. Plot was rather thin and felt like a string of fairly impressive special effects sequences. Nevertheless, the sprinkling of whimsical beasts and magic made it a fun watch at the base level.

6/10

Soldato
The Happytime Murders - 6/10 - A film noir style gross-out adult "Muppet" movie which I found extremely funny during the funny parts and extremely boring during the story parts as it's just a generic "PI with a Hot Client" type Noir. I really enjoyed the subversion of child friendly Muppets into down and out crack addicts, nymphos and gangsters and I thought Melissa McCarthy was an OK choice for a foul mouthed "straight guy" but the film is just about that one single USP - Adult Muppets - and, just like Ted, it suffers when trying to make you care about a puppet.

Associate
Totally insane, but exciting to watch.
MV5BMTQyMTM2MzI3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDY2MzI2MDE@._V1_SY264_CR4,0,178,264_AL_.jpg

Soldato
Mission Impossible : Fallout - 6.5 / 10

Enjoyable action romp, some of the chase scenes were great, overall plot and dialogue to be expected for this type of film. Didn't think it was quite as good as the love it's getting

Soldato
Mission Impossible : Fallout - 6.5 / 10

Enjoyable action romp, some of the chase scenes were great, overall plot and dialogue to be expected for this type of film. Didn't think it was quite as good as the love it's getting

Pretty much agree with you on this.

It's enjoyable enough but I'm not quite sure why so many people are raving over it.

The plot was a bit of a mess and it was way too long.

Back
Top Bottom