What film did you watch last night?

Permabanned
This is also one of my favorite movies. benny the jet urquidez who plays the baddy in the school fight scene was John cusacks kick boxing instructer and has a amazing fight record.

The scene from Wheels on meals gets praised highly as being one of the best martial arts movie fight in which he stars oppisite Jackie Chan.

Jackie also fights Benny at the end of Dragons Forever, also a decent fight, if you like their style. :)

Man of Honour
Birdman - great performances from Keaton and Norton. Often funny and then quite moving in the later sections. I would give top marks but I did feel at points that the way film poked fun at actors was a little ‘smug’ at times. This wasn’t helped by the hyper annoying drumming that formed a large part of the soundtrack, which also came across as ‘smug’. I did nevertheless feel myself relating to Keaton a bit and I was quite moved, as I said. Worth a watch.

4/5.

Man of Honour
Ghostbusters - The only things that have aged well are the concept and the theme tune. Surprisingly, not actually particularly funny (save for the “no dick” line). Bill Murray’s previously charming character now drifts between bemusing and creepy. Special effects sparse and actually really quite horrible at parts. Winston feels even more token than ever. Huh.

Still.... ghostbustin’ makes me feel good!! You just cannot deny that feel good tune.

2.5/5

Soldato
Ghostbusters - The only things that have aged well are the concept and the theme tune. Surprisingly, not actually particularly funny (save for the “no dick” line). Bill Murray’s previously charming character now drifts between bemusing and creepy. Special effects sparse and actually really quite horrible at parts. Winston feels even more token than ever. Huh.

Still.... ghostbustin’ makes me feel good!! You just cannot deny that feel good tune.

2.5/5

Imo it was never a great film to start with and despite loving loads of 80s movies, this and BTTF are firmly in the "meh" camp for me. Its passable and midly entertaining but nowhere near the classic folks make it out to be.

Soldato
Searching 7/10 - Enjoyable thriller about a father searching for his missing daughter all seen through the medium of using computers/social media to find out what has happened.

Bad Times at El Royale - 8.5/10 - Brilliant! A quirky crime mystery/drama where four strangers check in to a motel and the twists and turns of the story slowly unfold. The style of the film is right up my street!

Associate
Modern classic if you ask me, anyone who enjoyed The Thick of It should enjoy it.

I have mentioned this before on this thread that as a film in it's own right this was ok but a comedy,given the quality of the cast, Noooo !!

OOP's, wrong quote, was talking about the death of stalin.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Secret of Marrowbone (Amazon Prime)

This is well worth a watch if you liked The Orphanage (same writer I believe), it is a mystery drama come ghost story which pieces together as you go and has some pretty good writing and characters in my opinion. It gets very tense at times and the ending begs for a second watch. Unlike the Orphanage this is all English language so a lot more accessible. 7.75 / 10

Associate
Angel Has Fallen (2019) - 4/10

A mediocre action film which brings nothing of remark to the genre.

It takes itself far too seriously both tonally and with its outlandish premise, although some humour does creep in towards the end to little effect.

The special effects and action scenes are passable, and the plot is nothing special or original, being as old and tired as the leading stars.

Soldato
Once Upon a Time In Hollywood, for the second time.

The first viewing I was a little disappointed because it felt a bit 'meta' - not what I was expecting - although it certainly built up a head of steam in the latter half.

The second time I wasn't thinking about the storyline and simply enjoyed the acting abilities of DiCaprio & Pitt, the ambience that Tarantino masterfully created.

It didn't have me hanging on every word like some Tarantino films, but it was head and shoulders above the standard of other films in the cinema these days.

8/10

Man of Honour
The Secret of Marrowbone (Amazon Prime)

This is well worth a watch if you liked The Orphanage (same writer I believe), it is a mystery drama come ghost story which pieces together as you go and has some pretty good writing and characters in my opinion. It gets very tense at times and the ending begs for a second watch. Unlike the Orphanage this is all English language so a lot more accessible. 7.75 / 10
Thanks for this, sounds right up my steeet! Spooky mysteries are so much fun.

Soldato
Triple Frontier on Netflix

hmmm - very average - not particularly gripping, most of the action scenes are in the trailer, dragged on a bit. Nothing new about it.

Looked great in the trailer but at best 6/10.

Back
Top Bottom