1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Jokester

Don

Parasite - 7/10
    Disappointed with this to be honest, couple of decent bits, but ultimately none of the characters are particularly likeable (maybe the point I guess) so I didn’t really care about the outcome.

2. keenan

Hitman

I feel the same..

While it is definitely a good movie, I just don't get the absolute hype surrounding it's release!

3. smokedog

Mobster

I understood the meticulous attention to detail, wonderful cinematography and masterful story telling... after watching countless YouTube videos explaining it. But I'm not that much of a film nerd and on my initial viewing, I found it slow and rather boring. 6/10

4. arc@css

Caporegime

Eden Lake. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1020530/

At first, I thought I might have already seen this but on reflection, I don't think so.
    Anyway, all I can say is excellent, well worth watching.

As the story unfolded I found myself becoming more and more unsure of how things would go, so my advice would be to make sure you watch until the very end.

5. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

@arc@css curious if you've read my spoiler now and if you felt similar.

6. keenan

Hitman

Watched this many years ago and it's still at the top of my recommendations (along with Landmine Goes Click) for bleak and hopeless movies with an overall theme of unease!

7. keenan

Hitman

As mentioned above, have you by any chance seen Landmine Goes Click?

8. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

Yes that was quite a hard watch, more for the conclusion during the second half although the first part is hard going.

9. mrbell1984

Capodecina

I love films where they are complicated and have a twist to the story line.

Must watch some more like this. Shutter Island was the last one I watched with a twist.

10. arc@css

Caporegime

Yes, I read it almost immediately after viewing and...

...I can't say I detected the remorse you mention, though maybe I need to watch that bit again. I think my mind was focusing on two other things;
    1, in what manner were those three men going to end that poor woman's life (stabbing, I presume; the shrieking is what I won't forget), and 2, that O'Connell might phone the police to stop them killing her (strange to think that he would, I know).
    I think what else also has stayed with me is that put simply, it's not a film with even a semi-happy ending. The goodies die and so do a couple of the baddies. Jeez... that poor kid on fire... :(
    When that woman was taken in, at first, just for a brief moment, I thought she might be ok as the woman tending to her seemed more civilized. Great recommendation to watch, ta. :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  11. arc@css

Caporegime

I don't think so but will check it out a little later this evening, cheers. :)

12. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

@arc@css the remorse is just maybe a short 4/5 second pause before he pulls out the phone. I could be misreading it but I saw it as a bit of an on the nose commentary about the lack of attention with youth and how easily distracted they are. Even from utterly vile things they've done.

Glad you enjoyed it though, if enjoy is the right word.

13. arc@css

Caporegime

@SixTwoSix After reading the above, I literally was going to watch the last bit again right now but I'm not sure I can if you know what I mean.

14. arc@css

Caporegime

Yes, attention spans and all that, very true. I think this is down at least in part to the internet/modern media production/too much choice. In fact, I was only thinking the other day about this and the final moment in the vanilla version of Clear Sky came to mind (it might not resonate with others but it's what came to mind anyway):

15. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

I really must finish the stalker trilogy some time.

Also know what you mean about not rewatching the ending.

16. Begbie

Capodecina

It's one of my favourite movies, just due to the pure bleakness of it all. It's something that just gets so out of hand so easily, that it seems tragically real.

17. Bluecube

Wise Guy

Talking of bleak films, I just watched Threads for the first time. Jeezo. Makes The Road seem like Carry On Camping.

18. jpaul

Sgarrista

excellent film saw it last night freeview ... the originality of the plot up there with get out , sixth sense.

19. rotters

Soldato

I have never seen The Butterfly Effect, I need to get on that.

20. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

Butterfly Effect is great but not sure if I saw the original or the alternate cut, the version I watched had a very dark ending in that...

To prevent everything that ever went wrong, he travels back to himself in the womb and twists around and strangles himself with his own umbilical cord

Also has a line that makes me shudder to this day when confronted by someone in prison holding a knife who wants to make sweet love to him -
    Sequels are terri-bad though.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020