What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Dark Fate - 5/10

Better than the other post T2 sequels. Although, that's not really saying much. Same formulaic approach, some fairly good action scenes and reasonable acting.

Ad Astra - 5/10

Although I really liked the visual style of the film as well as the soundtrack, I found the story to be utterly flat. Also, the faux / pseudo psychological approach to how it was presented, made the film feel pretentious.

Don
Birds of Prey - 5/10
Four oppressed women fight back against the patriarchy to protect a girl from the patriarchy. The subtle wokeness isn't really a problem, it's just not that great a film and Margot Robbie's performance/accent is all over the place, though her fight scenes are good with some imaginitive bits as well.

Associate
Call of the Wild (2020) - 9/10

A moving story of a dog’s journey of hardships and adventure through the Yukon during the gold rush era.

The presentation is probably too idyllic, but the stunning vistas, great special effects and good pacing make it a thoroughly enjoyable movie to watch.

It’s heartwarming with subtle humour and has good acting and good pacing, although the humanized dog is a bit distracting at times and the villain sub-plot felt unnecessary.

Permabanned
Call of the Wild (2020) - 9/10

A moving story of a dog’s journey of hardships and adventure through the Yukon during the gold rush era.

The presentation is probably too idyllic, but the stunning vistas, great special effects and good pacing make it a thoroughly enjoyable movie to watch.

It’s heartwarming with subtle humour and has good acting and good pacing, although the humanized dog is a bit distracting at times and the villain sub-plot felt unnecessary.

Apart from the dog and animals are CGI (I did not know before hand), not sure WTF they were thinking, he looks more like a robot dog so I had to give up.

Soldato
Dark Fate - 5/10

Better than the other post T2 sequels. Although, that's not really saying much. Same formulaic approach, some fairly good action scenes and reasonable acting.

Ad Astra - 5/10

Although I really liked the visual style of the film as well as the soundtrack, I found the story to be utterly flat. Also, the faux / pseudo psychological approach to how it was presented, made the film feel pretentious.

I watched Ad Astra the other night as well, I do like space movies so that kept me watching till the end, but I agree, the story was pretty poor, reminded me slightly of a movie called Solaris that I thought was extremely boring.

Soldato
I enjoyed Ad Astra, kept me intrigued and entertained throughout but with little pay off at the end. The message was a bit ham fisted too.

I think it's something i'd like to rewatch when i ever get a 4k TV.

Associate
6 Underground (2019) - 5/10

Mostly fast paced crazy carnage with a silly sense of humour about it, although there is a sequence in the middle with a serious tone and subject matter which is quite jarring.

Impressive set pieces and special effects but it’s definitely a case of style over substance with the mediocre plot lacking cohesion and the blatant product placement spoiling the overall experience.

The oddball cast do work well together and within the premise, but it also feels a bit of an ego stroking exercise for Reynolds.

Soldato
Terminator Dark Fate - 6½/10

I could even push a 7 rating, I quite enjoyed it. Yes, you felt like you'd seen it before, but it was still a pretty good film. A little cheesy by the end mind.

I don't think it's remotely as bad as everyone decided it was from the trailers before even seeing it :D

Enjoyed it more than Genesys and T3 but less than Salvation.

Caporegime
Greed

It was really quite awful.

Not funny at all considering the calibre of people (Coogan, Mitchell, Tim Key etc) and some of the actors had nothing to do, such as Shirley Henderson playing an elderly mother.

3/10

Commissario
Greed

It was really quite awful.

Not funny at all considering the calibre of people (Coogan, Mitchell, Tim Key etc) and some of the actors had nothing to do, such as Shirley Henderson playing an elderly mother.

3/10
Oh man that's disappointing, was really looking forward to seeing this :(

Soldato
IT Chapter 2 - 5/10

Neither parts were as good as the original TV version, however I found Chapter 2 to be especially disappointing. Plot holes aside...the ending was a complete mess.

Soldato
IT Chapter 2 - 5/10

Neither parts were as good as the original TV version, however I found Chapter 2 to be especially disappointing. Plot holes aside...the ending was a complete mess.

How recently have you rewatched the TV version? It's painfully dated now and i was of the same opinion as you until watching it again a year or two back.

I agree on IT Chapter 2 though, on my initial watch I really liked it but on a subsequent rewatch, I think it's a very poor sequel. The most horrific part is the attack on the gay guy at the start, virtually everything after pales and there is no real threat from Pennywise throughout.

Soldato
How recently have you rewatched the TV version? It's painfully dated now and i was of the same opinion as you until watching it again a year or two back.

I agree on IT Chapter 2 though, on my initial watch I really liked it but on a subsequent rewatch, I think it's a very poor sequel. The most horrific part is the attack on the gay guy at the start, virtually everything after pales and there is no real threat from Pennywise throughout.

I watched it about three years ago. It is very dated by todays standards, however I preferred Tim Currys rendition of Pennywise, the lack of CGI and the general "feel" of the original. Some of that likely comes down to nostalgia though, because it was one of my favourite films as a child.

Back
Top Bottom