What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Borg vs McEnroe. 8/10

Very good. Thought it was going to be tame but quite the opposite. Quite intense, the f word a lot, little bit of nudity, good exposure of Borg's true character, and great tennis scenes.

Soldato
Not quite last night, but recently rewatched:

Shutter Island - 8/10
Interview with the Vampire - 6/10 - I swear I used to rate this film higher.
The Prestige - 9/10 - Has started to become my favourite Nolan film, and at first watch it was my least favourite - but that was probably down to how fooled I felt.
The Call of the Wild - 7/10 - I love the CGI, I love the simple but deep story, the humour and the scenery. Also Ford is just top class, you can tell he wanted to do a great job with this film.

New watches:

The Vast of Night - 5/10 - Bang average in acting, script (wtf is with the opening scene, it's ******** over the top "here's what I can do" set tracking and BS improv), and the story has been told a million times before. Glad it ended the way it did.
Freaks - 7/10 - excellent take on the 'mutant' genre. Slow burning to start with, but with a satisfying pay off.
Horse Girl 4/10 - well, yea, wtf. Some pretty decent acting from Alison Brie and some uneasy feelings (last film that gave me the wtfs was Midsommar) but generally boring as hell despite an encouraging start.

Soldato
Still worth a try if some one highly rates it

Fair point...here's some of my 'almost 10's from the last few years'

Sicario
Mad Max Fury Road
Dredd
Bladerunner 2049
End of Watch
Ex Machina
It Follows
You Were Never Really Here
A Quiet Place
Zero Dark Thirty
Interstellar
Cabin In The Woods

All subjective but films that for me at least, are fairly close to being perfect.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Fair point...here's some of my 'almost 10's from the last few years'

Sicario
Mad Max Fury Road
Dredd
Bladerunner 2049
End of Watch
Ex Machina
It Follows
You Were Never Really Here
A Quiet Place
Zero Dark Thirty
Interstellar
Cabin In The Woods

All subjective but films that for me at least, are fairly close to being perfect.

Don't think I'd argue with many on that list.

I'd add these from films I've watched in the last few years anyway.

Mission Impossible Fallout.

Hell or High Water.

Three Billboard's Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

Warrior.

The Revenant.

Soldato
The Vast of Night - 5/10 - Bang average in acting, script (wtf is with the opening scene, it's ******** over the top "here's what I can do" set tracking and BS improv), and the story has been told a million times before. Glad it ended the way it did.
The beginning is homage (some might refer to it as stealing) to Twilight zone. The good thing about Twilight Zone they're only about 30mins long not like The Tiresome of Night

I don't think a true 10/10 film exists, I wouldn't even class any of my favourite movies of all time as 10/10.
10/10 would means it perfect in every way

Soldato
10/10 would means it perfect in every way

From an objective point of view for a film to please everyone, there is no perfect 10/10 due to differing tastes.

Depends if you're judging it in an analytical way, or by how much you enjoyed it.

Enjoyment is the key thing...but then if you're talking pure enjoyment, the score doesn't really matter imo.

Soldato
Enjoyment is the key thing...but then if you're talking pure enjoyment, the score doesn't really matter imo.

To me, if I love a movie and want to see it again, like the Godfather, Exorcist, Taxi Driver, any number of classics that have depth and are simply compelling to watch, then they're 10/10 even if they had technical flaws. Rotten Tomatoes has a small handful of movies they've rated 100%/100% .

Soldato
To me, if I love a movie and want to see it again, like the Godfather, Exorcist, Taxi Driver, any number of classics that have depth and are simply compelling to watch, then they're 10/10 even if they had technical flaws. Rotten Tomatoes has a small handful of movies they've rated 100%/100% .

I was probably looking at it too technically then :)

However your list further reinforces my point about different tastes and scoring ultimately being a waste of time. For me, none of the 3 you listed would be over 8/10. (i'm fairly sure you'd have similar or lower scores for movies on my last from the last decade on post #50961)

That's not to say the movies you listed aren't classics, they certainly are and they are exceptionally good movies, i'd just never felt the urge to watch any more than once. A perfect movie for me is something i'm happy to watch time and time again.

On a sidenote, I just checked RT top 100% movies...saw Paddington 2 there, it's these kinds of things that leads me to be overly dismissive of anything else listed.

Associate
Where did you watch this?
At the Cinema (Cineworld)! it was one of the 2 films available which weren't repeats from pre-covid or remastered versions of classics.
Overall, it wasn't too weird an experience - I didnt have to wear a face mask (although you do now), and the reduced number of people wasn't that noticable - the screens were rarely full whenever I went pre-covid anyways.
Still served snacks, didn't get any trailers though.

Back
Top Bottom