What film did you watch last night?

Associate
I watched Menace II Society on Netflix since the first time it came out on video around 93 or 94.

It definitely held up well with a sharp script, good performances and a true sense of danger throughout. Larenz Tate as O-Dog a truly underrated performance in just how chillingly careless he acts in it aged just 18. Embodies the reckless stupidity of youthful gangbangers who know nothing better. There were a lot of good crime movies in the 90's so it didn't stand out as much back then, but I really think it still stands up today as a great gangster movie.

Interested to notice I recognised a lot of slang this time round that I didn't register at all back in 94. You can see how culture gets absorbed into the mainstream, especially how much African American slang has permeated via mass use of online that this predates by about a decade.

Also you can see just how much Rockstar North took from this to make GTA San Andreas, it's hugely influential in that regard visually and in terms of storyline.

Still well worth the watch in 2020 and highly topical right now for a film that's almost 30 years old.

I remember getting this on pirate VHS back in 93, totally agree with you, fantastic film. That and Boyz n the Hood.

Soldato
Charlie’s Angels (2019) 5/10 Kinda meh even if we ignore the super subtle men are bad theme it’s charmless and relatively poorly made. I didn’t hate it it but there was little to enjoy. Not enough charm to carry the film off without other areas being excellent. Sadly Lots of action films do the action better. Lots of film are better filmed and directed. Lots of films have more compelling stories. It just felt so halfhearted. The previous 2 movies were better in every way.

Associate
Charlie’s Angels (2019) 5/10 Kinda meh even if we ignore the super subtle men are bad theme it’s charmless and relatively poorly made. I didn’t hate it it but there was little to enjoy. Not enough charm to carry the film off without other areas being excellent. Sadly Lots of action films do the action better. Lots of film are better filmed and directed. Lots of films have more compelling stories. It just felt so halfhearted. The previous 2 movies were better in every way.

Another case of "this definitely should not have been remade" I've not even watched because I know it's going to be dire.

Soldato
I watched Menace II Society on Netflix since the first time it came out on video around 93 or 94.

It definitely held up well with a sharp script, good performances and a true sense of danger throughout. Larenz Tate as O-Dog a truly underrated performance in just how chillingly careless he acts in it aged just 18. Embodies the reckless stupidity of youthful gangbangers who know nothing better. There were a lot of good crime movies in the 90's so it didn't stand out as much back then, but I really think it still stands up today as a great gangster movie.

Interested to notice I recognised a lot of slang this time round that I didn't register at all back in 94. You can see how culture gets absorbed into the mainstream, especially how much African American slang has permeated via mass use of online that this predates by about a decade.

Also you can see just how much Rockstar North took from this to make GTA San Andreas, it's hugely influential in that regard visually and in terms of storyline.

Still well worth the watch in 2020 and highly topical right now for a film that's almost 30 years old.

"What you say about my momma?"

Always felt like M2S was overshadowed by BoyZ In The Hood despite being the grittier and more realistic movie.

Same as 187, far superior to the Dangerous Minds hollywood happy crap.

Associate

I watched this for the first time recently, didn't realize it was a different film to that parody one don't be a menace to south central

Quite enjoyed it though.

Associate
Unhinged (2020) - 6/10

A run of the mill thriller with a modern view on the stresses and consequences related to modern day society in the USA. Good acting and some moments of suspense and surprise, but nothing remarkably good or bad about it, other than the clichés and the overly happy ending.

Associate
Unhinged (2020) - 6/10

A run of the mill thriller with a modern view on the stresses and consequences related to modern day society in the USA. Good acting and some moments of suspense and surprise, but nothing remarkably good or bad about it, other than the clichés and the overly happy ending.
Going have give that a go

Associate
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (2018) - 6/10

Colourful cartoon mayhem which is silly and slapstick throughout, but runs out of good material long before the end.

The story is good with a good modern moral message and the characters are entertaining, but it still feels uneven with crude humour at times.

Soldato
Unhinged (2020) - 6/10

Where did you watch this?

Soldato
Brawl in Cell Block 99 8/10

Completely unrealistic nonsense but very satisfying punch ups and gory violence. :D

The Post 7/10

Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, about the Washington Post publishing the vietnam war government scandal.

Soldato
Knives Out 7/10 fairly decently acted, nicely made, plot was fairly engaging but I'm not sure about all the love it got from the reviewers. So we had all the grasping irredeemable bad/weak relatives get their comeuppance. Very vanilla, some nice plot points but needed to be either cleverer with the plot or more campy. It kind of fell between the two tropes that work for me. It was good but I'll have forgotten it soon and didn't leave me going Wow. Which is kind of what I was expecting from the noise about it at release.

Soldato
Greyhound 8/10
Nice solid ww2 action film. Short and to the point, wasn't really any attempt to form an emotional bond with the crew so just stuff shooting at each other for about 90 mins. Not sure how technically accurate it was but held my interest.

Terminator Dark Fate 5/10
The plot had potential. The acting from all parties but particularly Grace and Conner was awful. Wasn't doing too badly as a genetic action film until the airforce base part which was a bit too farcical for me.

Happy Death Day 7/10
A bit stupid and a bit funny, but was entertaining enough to want to see it through and know who "done it".

Caporegime
Midway

7/10

Quite enjoyable. Really vivid and over the top effects (maybe too much in places, but quite striking).

Bit cheesy as well sometimes but overall pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom