What film did you watch last night?

Banshees of Inisherin
Loved it. I remember enjoying In Bruges a long time ago but didn't know anything about this beyond watching the trailer a few days before.
Started off very Father Ted (as Kermode put it) but turned very tragic fairly quickly. I woke up the next morning and went over all the little bits in my head remembering more about it the more I thought (Saturday night is Cider Night) and the more I thought the more I liked it.
9/10

Also watched All quiet on the western front recently which was also top drawer, especially so for a Netflix film.

Rope - the Alfred Hitchcock film.

Brilliant!!! Short, snappy (80 mins), ****ed up, tense… just a superb nail-biter. Really worth a watch if you’re fed up of overly long films or any modern tropes.

Highly recommended :)

9/10

Last edited:
Plane (2023) - 6 / 10

A standard action film with good acting and action scenes, although it was a lot more down to earth and serious than I was expecting.

The plot is straightforward with no surprises, the characters are traditional and each play their role as designed.

Nothing really stood out as good or bad, but it was never boring with a good pace and a good ending.

Last edited:
Banshees of Inisherin

Very enjoyable film that managed to balance the very funny parts with the darker parts and not make it jarring. Beautiful locations/cinematography, and the self-contained setting was a nice change compared to other films jumping between 20 locations. I feel like I could easily rewatch it several times without tiring.

9/10.

All Quiet on the Western Front - Really "enjoyed" it, but I find dubbed stuff really distracting, although my wife just can't get on with watching subtitled stuff :(

Empire of Light - I loved it. Visually impressive, love Olivia Colman, thought Michael Ward did a superb job, I felt their relationship was authentic because she was in a vulnerable state, and he was naive. Critics have been fairly disparaging of it, seemingly because it doesn't fully explore some themes, and parts of it felt thin. I don't agree at all.

M3gan - Critics love it. I can't understand why so many people loved this but didn't like Empire of Light, for seemingly similar reasons. There are themes of a child losing her parents and coping strategies, and they're fairly light touch, presumably so that the film stays light and maintains its comic elements, but I think those things were the same things that critics were fairly harsh on for Empire of Light.

I don't agree with critics a lot of the time anyway, so I probably just " don't get it :p "

Last edited:
In the Line of Fire is probably my favourite Clint Eastwood film and I seem to remember Every Which Way But Loose/Any Which Way You Can being amusing when I was a kid (Right Turn Clyde :)), but other than that I can't say I'd go out of my way to watch his films.
Same, I've not gone out of my way to watch any, if its on tv I may watch it but I dont see anything special about them, like John Wayne I think he's way over rated.

Virtually all Eastwood films from last few decades are him playing a belligerent old man who slowly comes to realise that either minorities or women aren't actually that bad. ;)

Last edited:
Virtually all Eastwood films from last few decades are him playing a belligerent old man who slowly comes to realise that either minorities or women aren't actually that bad. ;)
Yes, that's my point they are all similar and the acting :rolleyes: is also the same, I think they are not very good.

Yes, that's my point they are all similar and the acting :rolleyes: is also the same, I think they are not very good.

Million Dollar Baby is a good movie.

I believe he directed that as well

Admittedly, most of Eastwood's older films are among his best works, IMO.

I recommend:
The Beguiled
Play Misty for Me
The Good, Bad and the Ugly
The Eiger Sanction
Escape from Alcatraz
A Fist Full of Dollars
Dirty Harry
For a Few Dollars More
Where Eagles Dare
Magnum Force
The Enforcer