What film did you watch last night?

Admittedly, most of Eastwood's older films are among his best works, IMO.

I recommend:
The Beguiled
Play Misty for Me
The Good, Bad and the Ugly
The Eiger Sanction
Escape from Alcatraz
A Fist Full of Dollars
Dirty Harry
For a Few Dollars More
Where Eagles Dare
Magnum Force
The Enforcer

Reads like a pr0n list...

Last edited:
..........a belligerent old man who slowly comes to realise that either minorities or women aren't actually that bad. ;)
sounds a bit like myself :eek: :p

to not have Unforgiven on that list is just disgusting - :mad::p
Admittedly, most of Eastwood's older films are among his best works, IMO.

I recommend:
The Beguiled
Play Misty for Me
The Good, Bad and the Ugly
The Eiger Sanction
Escape from Alcatraz
A Fist Full of Dollars
Dirty Harry
For a Few Dollars More
Where Eagles Dare
Magnum Force
The Enforcer

Films of late

Puss in boots the last wish, great, its no Shrek but more than captures the imagination, really well done and enjoyed it more than an adult should have.
Bank of Dave, a David and Goliath story loosely based on the events of the creation of a Burnley bank (not a bank), hits above its weight for sure. one for the northerners!
Tar - I tried, gave it 30 minutes but was just not for me, however the acting from Cate Blanchett was on point, Oscar bait for sure though.
Once upon a time in Hollywood, i've put this off since its release due to the mute reviews but rather enjoyed it, never felt drawn out and i was half expecting to watch it in 2 sittings but ended up watching in one go.

I’ve heard really good things about Puss in Boots 2 - pretty sure it’s not out in uk yet as waiting for the cinema release.

As in, one of the best films of the year good. Intriguing!

… and because I know that sounds ridiculous ^^^

8zL9qvy.jpg

I know I often post Doug vids (sorry) but…

^avoid the YouTube comments section because of spoilers.

So yeah, pretty hyped!

Last edited:
Babylon (2022) - 8/10

A wild ride through the Hollywood film industry where everything, especially the parties, is done to extravagant excess. The music is superb, the sets are large, the colours are vibrant, the sex appeal is raunchy, the humour is frequent and the drama is poignant, even if it is a story you’ve seen before. Each of the four main stories intertwine, showing the rise and fall of their respective careers and the roles they play in the different parts of the film industry whilst it is evolving. It’s highly enjoyable and chaotic entertainment with something always going on, and more often than not, something you can relate to. Great performances all round, especially from Robbie who steals every scene she’s in.

But it is too long – the build up to and “dungeon of depravity” scene could have been shortened or cut completely and the ending dragged on with multiple ‘fake’ endings before ending with a summary of the entire film. But like the rest of the film, the ending is done to extravagant excess and for that, you have to admire it.

Watched the new Avatar last weekend and thought visually it was great. Storyline and script were average to poor.

Saw Babylon tonight. Thought it was great, found it went really fast. Tells the tale of how quickly you could go from nothing to the talk of the town in early Hollywood. And then later how you can go from a star to nobody incredibly quick in many different ways. I loved it visually, loved the music, loved the acting. It oozed ‘cool’. The ending scene was a bit trippy. I also think when I watch this again at home it won’t be anywhere near as good. This film needs to be seen in a cinema.

Tenet

Wow. A cracking, clever, ride of a movie; brilliant in concept and execution. A clever premise is thoroughly explored with a range of excellently drawn characters and superb acting performances. I can see how some people might have bounced off it hard, it's a complex mix of spy movie and sci fi, but I thought that was both refreshing and brilliantly executed. Figuring out what is going on is half the fun. I'm also not sure why there were so many complaints about the dialogue being inaudible, there were really only a couple of scenes were it wasn't clear. I dunno, maybe the audio was different in Cinema to Netflix. Despite it's length (2 and a half hours) I was thoroughly engaged from start to end and it's the kind of movie you'll be thinking about for days afterwards.

9/10 Hard recommend.

Entertaining Mr Sloane https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065700/

I haven't seen this for yonks; some curiously odd memories of small parts of it were shelved away, deep within my memory.

Quite amusing in places and demonstrates well the transition from some of the sugar-coated works of the 1960s,
to the more quirky and thought-provoking style of the 70s.

I was entertained throughout.

Inspired by my recent success with Rope I finally got round to…

12 Angry Men

i.e. the old film known best for hovering around the top of the IMDB top 250 :p

Yup, it’s a good one… but I feel compelled to immediately blurt out that I don’t think it’s top 5 films ever made. For that accolade, it’s very narrow in scope. Although, perhaps that’s why people like it so much? The concept that drama created by 12 men in a room should be praised as a symbol against more bombastic affairs…?

Anyway, where credit is due it is clever how some assumptions get tested through dialogue… and leading Juror 8 (Henry Fonda) was a very likeable, rational character. The ‘villain’ jurors are a little ‘one note’ though.

Definitely worth a watch, but I think I preferred Rope - which was more sinister and felt more like a ‘power play of minds’ than the ‘logical argument’ nature of 12 Angry Men.

8.5/10

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom