What film did you watch last night?

Honestly one of my favourite movies ever :cool: I've not actually watched it a lot, but you can't help but get pumped up by it :cry:
ifhedies.jpg

The Suicide Squad

A huge improvement on the pile that was Suicide Squad but still not a good film. Stylish and funny in places, it falls down on the sheer flabbiness of the plot. Huge sections, characters even, could be cut without changing anything. Still, at least it's a fun ride.

Diverting eye candy at best 6/10.

Knock at the Cabin (2023) - 7/10

Silly premise, but put together very well with heavy amounts of psychological horror and emotional subject matter. The acting is great, but the plot only skims the depths of the human condition and there was no tension or surprises as right from the start you know it’s going to end in one of two ways.

Rocky 4

The most fun entry of the lot - even aside from the comic book Cold War tensions… that robot! “Happy-Birthday-Paulie” :o :D

There is genuine feels with the ‘first fight’ and the montages are sublime. So much anticipation of ‘Hearts on Fire’… and then it kicks off and you can’t help but mock exercise along :p

8/10

Puss in Boots 2: The Last Wish

So much hype around this film being an ‘sleeper hit’ and it absolutely delivered. What a cracker!

Well humoured, well thought out characters, never twee, relatable themes, a decent amount of ‘feels’ and also quite anxiety inducing to boot. Damn, considering the family audience, the villain in this is terrifying! Several children were screaming and crying at points - even I got the heebie jeebies! :eek:

The animation is superb too - borrows heavily from the style of Into the Spiderverse at times, but it didn’t feel derivative.

This deserves to be a massive success. A big recommendation from me to go and see it, but maybe leave very small children at home.

No need to see the first film. I hadn’t.

9/10 (yes, really)

@Nitefly really enjoyed your reviews of Rocky! I wouldn't bother watching anymore, 1-4 are the true originals, great plot and soundtracks! Sadly, the rest just spoil the legacy.

Rocky 3, to be fair to Stallone, the plot includes Paulie referencing his plastic surgery, where you can clearly see Stallone in real life, had a massive makeover!

I always doubted Rocky and the lack of defence / guarding, seemingly goes face on into a pounding!

Then, watching Chuck Wepner Vs Muhammad Ali (the fight and fighter that inspired Rocky) it wasn't that far off! By gum though, Wepner was a brawler and a dirty fighter!

On The Line (2022)

Being a Mel Gibson fan I saw this on Amazon, Gibson plays the part of shock jock akin to Howard Stern and ilk. I thought this film might be a half decent thriller like 'Play Misty For Me' (1971) a Clint Eastwood classic.

It's not 4/10.

@Ninco! @BUDFORCE cheers for the kids words. Ooo, that Ali match looked a right bruiser :eek:

I really like the whole set including the so called 'lesser' ones... Rocky 5 is a jarring change but has its place, then Balboa (6) has the epic motivational speech. Got to get them all in to be ready for Creed 3 :)

Possibly on for watching Rocky 5 tonight, we'll see!

Damn, rewatching clips of that Puss in Boots 'villain' on YouTube makes me think he might end up being considered a 'classic villain'. He's absolutely bad ass and has one of the most chilling, coldest lines I've ever heard.

Death: Sorry to crash the party with your past lives, or, your past deaths, as I like to call them. I was there to witness all of them. Each. Frivolous. End. But you... didn't even notice me. Because "Puss in Boots laughs in the face of Death", right? But you're not laughing now...
Puss: You are no bounty hunter. You are...
Death: Death. And I don't mean it metaphorically or rhetorically or poetically or theoretically or any other fancy way. I'm Death. Straight up.

RYG5nUz.jpg

Daaaaayyyymn! *blood freezes / hides behind sofa* :eek:

Knock At The Cabin - 5/10. Had some decent bits (the first few minutes were promising) but overall I thought it was a bit naff. None of the characters were interesting, and the news footage of the "disasters" unfolding across the world as it went looked very B-movie. So much wasn't explained and the characters all seemed okay with that which made them rather difficult to sympathise with.

Back
Top Bottom