What film did you watch last night?

Are you implying british films are typically poor?

Anything outside of Danny Boyle, Richard Curtis and Guy Ritchie...Yes. It's pretty poor. We seemed to have a golden age from the late 90's to the late 2000's were these three were churning out hit after hit but it's been sometime since there was a good British movie, The Gentlemen was the best in a long while but that was a blip

Anything outside of Danny Boyle, Richard Curtis and Guy Ritchie...Yes. It's pretty poor. We seemed to have a golden age from the late 90's to the late 2000's were these three were churning out hit after hit but it's been sometime since there was a good British movie, The Gentlemen was the best in a long while but that was a blip
You missed out Shane Meadows and Edgar Wright, although the latter mainly makes hollywood stuff these days.

Boyle would be in my top 5 directors - shame we never got his version of Bond.

You missed out Shane Meadows and Edgar Wright, although the latter mainly makes hollywood stuff these days.

Boyle would be in my top 5 directors - shame we never got his version of Bond.

I'll give you Edgar Wright, he's a great director but Hot Fuzz was all the way back in 2007 (I really didn't like The Worlds End) but I don't like Shane Meadows output

I'll give you Edgar Wright, he's a great director but Hot Fuzz was all the way back in 2007 (I really didn't like The Worlds End) but I don't like Shane Meadows output

Worlds End was a big let down ending to the Cornetto Trilogy.

Fair enough about Meadows, he's polarising but he's made what i consider one of the best british movies, Dead Mans Shoes.

Just thought i leave this here for the The SW Sequels. I dont particularly like critical thinker but this video was quite accurate and humorous.

Last edited:
Watched Phantom Thread a few weeks back. Considering the main character's profession holds no interest for me, I still found the film engaging and enjoyable.

Haven't seen There Will be Blood since it's original release, but it's on my Plex server's watchlist.

I cannot recommend it enough its bloody brilliant (mind the pun :D)

Rocky 2

This is a strange one. I really like some aspects of it. The first half is absolutely hilarious - the funniest entry of the series - and, in parts, endearing. It’s great to see Adrian stepping out from her shyness.

Then, the pacing suffers - it lingers very long on Rocky’s stagnation and Adrian being sick. The ‘on-a-dime’ comeback that Rocky makes is much less believable than his persistent commitment in the first film.

The fight is also ridiculous, they’d both be dead if they fought like that without guarding! Finally… Apollo Creed is super hench :eek:

Good for fans of the series but it won’t win over others.

7.5/10

Last edited:
Promising Young Woman

I think Carey Mulligan is a great actress, and no exception in this movie. I was enjoying it a lot, and thought it handled the tongue-in-cheek dark humour with the genuinely dark themes fairly well, but it kind of lost me at the end when it tipped over into the unexpectedly dark, and then swung right back the opposite way to the unrealistic, "happy" ending.

8/10

Last edited:
I'm trying to watch some of the older films that i've never managed to watch completely this year, so far I've managed:

Deliverance which i'd give about a 7.5/10, maybe 8.
Loved the cinematography and it in general, seen bits of it many times and so many references but never managed to watch it all (as it was it took me about 3 days)

I've just watched Logan's Run which I'd rate as a fairly solid 7.
It's nicely told, some of the sets are very 70's generally ok but some bits really look a bit naff such as the shots of the cars in their tubes (although that's probably partly because I'm watching it on BD, and can ID various bits used) but still nicely done for the time*.
The main actors were both fairly good, and Jenny Agutter was not quite what I expected, I still always remember her from The Railway Children (another film I can't remember watching in full).

I'm going to try and watch Groundhog Day today as it's that time of year. It'll be my first time seeing it so I hope it's as good as I remember.

After that it's probably going to be Lifeforce, for an early Picard moment, then probably some classic super hero stuff with the classic Christopher Reeve films as I don't think I've ever seen them uncut/in full (I can only remember watching them on ITV and seemingly always missing bits due to things like having to go out).

I probably need to do an inventory of the unwatched films i've got on BD as I've realised my "to watch" pile has been growing alarmingly over the last few years** as I've gone from being able to watch 3-4 hours a night, to some nights not managing one hour, but I still end up listening to the commentaries a lot of the time:p (one of the reasons I like DVD's is the behind the scenes stuff that doesn't usually make it to streaming etc).

*I think one of my model making/VFX books has an article on some of the effects like the cars.

**Especially the older films that I've picked up cheaply, which includes a lot of horror/sci-fi stuff that I'd given up waiting for it to get on streaming.

Last edited:
Rocky 3

Rocky is now totally unrecognisable from the doofus he was in the previous films. Now he’s slick looking and ripped. His character suffers a bit because of that. I like him goofy rather than ‘action hero’.

Still, there is a lot of silly ‘fun’ here - from super mean Clubber Lang and the ridiculous ‘Thunderlips’ (Hulk Hogan). The pacing is leaner too, even with the obvious emotional moments.

The training is ridiculous… Stallone’s faking of Rocky’s lack of rhythm is embarrassing :o

Also, it’s by far the most ‘homoerotic’ film of the lot, with the ‘crop top’ outfits and splashing around on the beach :D

A good time, looking forward to it going full cheese with Rocky 4!

7.5/10

Last edited:
Promising Young Woman

I think Carey Mulligan is a great actress, and no exception in this movie. I was enjoying it a lot, and thought it handled the tongue-in-cheek dark humour with the genuinely dark themes fairly well, but it kind of lost me at the end when it tipped over into the unexpectedly dark, and then swung right back the opposite way to the unrealistic, "happy" ending.

8/10
Not seen this yet, will check it out tonight, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom