What film did you watch last night?

Rudy - 7/10

A kid with next to no athletic ability has a dream of playing for Notre Dame.

I figured for Superbowl weekend I'd watch some (American) football movies. This is rated as one of the better ones and I would say it's not bad. An interesting story,

and kind of amazing that he actually did get a sack on the last play of the game against Georgia Tech. I thought 'Oh, they've gone a bit far in having him get a sack too', but apparently it actually happened.

Cruella 7/10 (5 being average) - actually better than I thought it would be.

Two things did standout
Stone is doing a Eva Green impression, and it does shy away from killing the Dalmatians to explain why she wants to kill them and make coats out of them for the original 101 Dalmatians. I'm assuming stories that endorse animal cruelty is against Hollywood policy nowadays.

All Quiet on the Western Front(2022)

Very well acted, terrifying combat at times, small details in some scenes that really make you think but its a difficult watch.

It shows how horrible war is and how pointless ww1 was, millions of people dying just so they could continue it years later in ww2.

Platoon.

Seen it more times than I can remember and it's still one of the best films made.

9/10

Platoon is probably the best war film I've seen and I went twice to see it at the cinema in the 1st week of release. It does annoy me that because Kubrick made, the admittedly great, Full Metal Jacket, that film gets all the recognition in the Vietnam War Film Genre.

Platoon is probably the best war film I've seen and I went twice to see it at the cinema in the 1st week of release. It does annoy me that because Kubrick made, the admittedly great, Full Metal Jacket, that film gets all the recognition in the Vietnam War Film Genre.
Yeah I understand how you feel.

Even the film soundtrack is sublime for Platoon.

I still think Full Metal Jacket is a great film.

The Thin Red Line is another one which I think is brilliantly done.

Pulp Fiction

Those first three Tarantino films have a style I just can't describe. There is the excellent soundtrack and cinematography but I think the screenplay is what stands out the most - his films are at their best when it's just a conversation between a couple of people. Lots of interesting characters that make you want to know more. I could imagine them having spin-off films of their own.

9/10

I still haven't seen that but I'm waiting for the right moment to watch. It's one of those films where the VHS cover is etched in my mind from wandering the rental shop as a kid.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181852/

I think I saw this relatively recently, but I kind of fancied something that I could switch off and watch with ease.

Although I think it's a decent enough film and quite enjoyable overall, IMO, it's a long way off the first two.

Most of the cheesy lines don't work for me, though one or two of the comedic inclusions in the action scenes did make me smile.

It's showing its age now, for sure, though it is twenty years old. I don't normally rate films or games out of 10, though around a 5-6 seems to fit well.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181852/

I think I saw this relatively recently, but I kind of fancied something that I could switch off and watch with ease.

Although I think it's a decent enough film and quite enjoyable overall, IMO, it's a long way off the first two.

Most of the cheesy lines don't work for me, though one or two of the comedic inclusions in the action scenes did make me smile.

It's showing its age now, for sure, though it is twenty years old. I don't normally rate films or games out of 10, though around a 5-6 seems to fit well.

I would have given T3 a high rating if they left in the Sergent Candy Scene, it is on Youtube if you have not seen it :D

Watched Easy Rider 7.5/10

Lovely cinematography, fairly simple story but nicely told and I was not expecting to see a very young Jack Nicholas.
I was definitely not expecting the ending which somehow i've either never seen discussed or completely forgotton about.
The casual brutality of it, with the hicks going to scare them but accidently shooting one, then turning around to deliberately kill the other

Watching the extras on the blu ray were interesting and fun as well (one of the reasons I like having the discs), with a lot of background about the circumstances behind the film, as well as information on how they made it, the reasons, and incidents that happened along the way and the people they met/cast.

Life Force 7/10
Yet another film I've seen bits of, but never the full thing, doubly so as it turns out there are at least 3 versions and I think the version that's normally shown here is the shortest one, but the blu-ray came with both that and the "international" version (ironically that's the original UK release, but it seems we tend to get the US "domestic" version on TV here*)

Some of the effects are a bit ropey, but a lot of them stand up really well especially the practical ones, and watching the extras explains a bit about that as some of the people involved went on to do some of the big blockbusters and the budget was quite large, with them spending a lot of time doing some excellent practical effects.

Really enjoyed it as a classic 80's era sci-fi, and it felt like it made more sense/much easier to get into with with the extra run time (much of it at the start setting up the story).
Some good acting with an early Picard;) amongst many others I recognised, and the "female alien" (Mathilda May) is both gorgeous and played the role very well, the way she moved had an odd not quite human smoothness (a little like Carolyn Jones as the original Morticia Addams) and not quite "normal" sounding english (apparently she didn't speak it, so was learning her lines phonetically).

It's taken a lot longer than I expected to watch, in part because I've been watching all the extras on the disc including the three commentaries, so a 2 hour film is more like 9.

*Something I've noticed with a few films in my collection, the DVD might have the version we saw at the cinema (or the extended/uncut one) but the likes of Netflix/Amazon only have one version and it's usually the US one, or the shorter cut.

Back
Top Bottom