What film did you watch last night?

Boiling Point.

Enjoyed it a lot. People always say Uncut Gems is the ultimate anxiety-inducing movie; I think this is equally, if not more so anxiety-inducing, especially how grounded and realistic it is. I tried to spot some hidden cuts, but I Googled it later, and was shocked to learn, and still find it hard to fathom, that it was literally shot from start to finish in one take. It definitely added to the realism and wasn't just a gimmick.

8.5/10

Yea, really good film.

If you were impressed with the 1 take method then you should try Victoria (2015)

Nearly 2.5 hrs long all in 1 take. Its brilliantly done as it moves about all over Berlin and doesnt restrict itself to 1 location. Good film too.

Knock on the Cabin Door

Was OK I guess. 5/10 - not great, not terrible.

I had to smile at the Woken Trinity of the gay couple, adopting a chinese child with a deformity and the future scene of the father and adult daughter getting into the EV car.

Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023) - 6/10

An alright superhero movie let down by a formulaic plot with nothing outstanding about it.

Visually it’s very good with lots of inventively different characters and a weird setting full of psychedelic landscapes, but the characters themselves conform to stereotypes and the main characters have little development.

The story is relatively shallow and formulaic, consisting of a different world, a revolution to inspire and an unstoppable villain only the heroes can defeat.

There’s a good amount of humour and the action scenes are entertaining, even if you have seen it all before, but ultimately, nothing really stands out about it, either great or bad.

Gretel & Hansel - (2020) - Not bad 7/10

Fairly recent take on the classic German Brothers Grimm tale. It's and interesting take on the original I think, both creepy and atmospheric. I do like weird crap though so your mileage may vary. It didn't review very well by the critics either but then horror is notoriously hit and miss.

Last edited:
Yea, really good film.

If you were impressed with the 1 take method then you should try Victoria (2015)

Nearly 2.5 hrs long all in 1 take. Its brilliantly done as it moves about all over Berlin and doesnt restrict itself to 1 location. Good film too.
+1 on this, victoria is a great film. It took them a few times to film it as the director really wanted the actors to create a bond and make it seem like they were out on a wild night together

And they really nailed it in the end, the tension just continues to rise, it really feels like you're there at times. Might even rewatch it now

Re-watch of Man of Steel - forgot how good this movie is.
Mediocre at best for me, and I still think Superman Returns was highly underrated and a much better film. While I think Henry Cavill made a pretty good Superman DC just can't make decent films (the first Wonder Woman being about the best in recent years), not that any of the recent MCU movies are anything to write home about either.

Last edited:
Mediocre at best for me, and I still think Superman Returns was highly underrated and a much better film. While I think Henry Cavill made a pretty good Superman DC just can't make decent films (the first Wonder being about the best in recent years), not that any of the recent MCU movies are anything to write home about either.

I enjoyed it more second time around.

Cavill was criminally underused in the DCU, but I can understand why they would get rid if they are wanting to make a restart and build a long term storyline as he’s probably getting an little bit too old now.

Bladerunner 2049 - 10/10
One of my favourite films. Everything is just gorgeous scene wise, sound track is immense, especially the final showdown and is one of the few films that does a IP revisit justice. So many great scenes in it.

Back
Top Bottom