What film did you watch last night?

The Wonder - 7/10
I think I wanted this to be more than it was, Pugh is as usual brilliant in it but the story was a lot more simple than I expected. It felt like they added the little preamble at the start to try and make it more interesting.

M3GAN - 7/10
Good turn your brain off slasher flick, just don't think too hard. Again could have been better but was a bit by the numbers as it went on.
I laughed out loud when the robotics engineer didn't think of using the robot she had in her garage, but instead just lamely pushed a shelving unit over instead and then struggled to get a strimmer off a hook. But then her daughter thought of using the robot :D.

Last edited:
Boiling Point.

Enjoyed it a lot. People always say Uncut Gems is the ultimate anxiety-inducing movie; I think this is equally, if not more so anxiety-inducing, especially how grounded and realistic it is. I tried to spot some hidden cuts, but I Googled it later, and was shocked to learn, and still find it hard to fathom, that it was literally shot from start to finish in one take. It definitely added to the realism and wasn't just a gimmick.

8.5/10

Last edited:
Boiling Point.

Enjoyed it a lot. People always say Uncut Gems is the ultimate anxiety-inducing movie; I think this is equally, if not more so anxiety-inducing, especially how grounded and realistic it is. I tried to spot some hidden cuts, but I Googled it later, and was shocked to learn, and still find it hard to fathom, that it was literally shot from start to finish in one take. It definitely added to the realism and wasn't just a gimmick.

8.5/10
I loved it, but I love anything with Stephen Graham in.

Wakanda Forever 6/10

Managed 20mins first time, finished it off last night. Slightly outside the usual formulaic marvel tosh, but not far enough. The sci-fi futurism of wakanda is getting ridiculous though. Some nice sentiment for Chadwick.
Loses half a point for no real end credit scene.

All Quiet On The Western Front - 10/10
even better on 2nd watch.
I hear this is going to be re-released in the cinema? I’ll definitely give it a second watch if so.
but I Googled it later, and was shocked to learn, and still find it hard to fathom, that it was literally shot from start to finish in one take.
No surprise the anxiety oozes from the screen then. Imagine having a bit-part over 1hr in. The stress to not stumble over your line or something would be insane :D

(But then again, theatre actors do it every night so what gives!)

Meet the fablemans. 8/10

Predictable but Interesting semi biography I assume about speilberg.... Good start good end but a few high drama scenes with nothing but boring dialogue that just left me wanting more of the kid than the parents....

I don't think it deserves an Oscar but I'm not sure what the competition really is....

I don't think it deserves an Oscar but I'm not sure what the competition really is....
If he wins it's because it's Spielberg and he deserves it for his other output. It's not his best movie, but it's still a good watch. Top Gun Maverick, AQOTWF or Tar should win best film in my opinion.

Top Gun: Maverick
9/10

I didn't manage to see this in the cinema. A little cheesy in places. But even watching on a phone it was a fantastic ride.

Eight For Silver (The Cursed) - 7/10 - based in the later decades of the 19th century, a group of land owners violently remove a group of gypsies from their land and end up dealing with a curse.

It feels like a familiar story but unfolds in a unique enough way to not being too signposted in it's twists and turns. Some great practical effects paired with moments of tension kept me interested throughout.

Also bonus point for Kelly Reilly side boob :D

Obligatory tag of 'horror club' @Nitefly and @arc@css

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom