What film did you watch last night?

I really enjoyed it, too, though I think I liked it even more during the second viewing. It's one, like Midsommer, that you will probably notice more details each time you revisit it.
If you haven't seen Midsommer, then please do! ;)
I feel like Hereditary is an adequate horror, ticks all the boxes but the end product never really resonated with me, Midsommar on the other hand I absolutely love and think it's fantastic - having watched it 3 times already.

As you say, Midsommar reveals more and more like an onion on repeat viewings.

Catching up on a few I've not logged.

The Red Turtle - 7/10

It was enjoyable enough, but I wasn't absolutely blown away like some people were. The thought of having a child with a magical turtle was just a bit weird

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On - 7/10

A nice, quirky little movie. Again, it was enjoyable enough for me; nothing to write home about. The Oscar nomination seems a bit much, though I suppose the animated category is one of those ones where there aren't a huge amount of options in the first place. It had a few nice poignant moments.

All Quiet on the Western Front - 9/10

Quite an amazing WWI movie with some very memorable scenes. The "regret" scene and the tank scenes in particular are standouts.

I thought Midsommar was overrated, The Wicker man did it so much better. @SixTwoSix
Wicker Man was a great film of it's time and borderline a classic but it's aged terribly outside of a few key scenes. Also I think it's an unfair comparison, yes there are glaring similarities but they are each far different enough from each other to go both be great films in their own right.

Personally though on a direct comparison, I think Midsommar is the better movie - soundtrack, acting, subtexts and imagery planted throughout - creeping dread which I never got with WM, even on repeat viewings knowing what's coming.

Last edited:
Wicker Man was a great film of it's time and borderline a classic but it's aged terribly outside of a few key scenes. Also I think it's an unfair comparison, yes there are glaring similarities but they are each far different enough from each other to go both be great films in their own right.

Personally though on a direct comparison, I think Midsommar is the better movie - soundtrack, acting, subtexts and imagery planted throughout - creeping dread which I never got with WM, even on repeat viewings knowing what's coming.
I'm also a massive Midsommar fan, but not sure it will last 50 years like the WM, hope it does though!

The Godfather

Was probably on TV at some point in my youth but i never really tuned into it. But just watched it and its very good. Bit disjointed when it leaps years at certain points but very good film indeed. They dont make 'em like that anymore. Onto Pt2 now.

Last edited:
Micro Men 7/10

Micro Men is a 2009 one-off BBC drama television programme set in the late 1970s and the early-mid 1980s, about the rise of the British home computer market. It focuses on the rivalry between Sir Clive Sinclair (played by Alexander Armstrong), who developed the ZX Spectrum, and Chris Curry (played by Martin Freeman), the man behind the BBC Micro.

Micro Men 7/10

Micro Men is a 2009 one-off BBC drama television programme set in the late 1970s and the early-mid 1980s, about the rise of the British home computer market. It focuses on the rivalry between Sir Clive Sinclair (played by Alexander Armstrong), who developed the ZX Spectrum, and Chris Curry (played by Martin Freeman), the man behind the BBC Micro.
Could be interesting. Where can one view such content?

i watched a real hardcore mans film.... The lion king (the original animation one from the 90s)

enjoyed every minute of it . its one of those films you are supposed to only watch if you are under 10 but you know as a grown man it still great to watch....and beats any of the more modern garbage that disney have been pumping out lately

i watched a real hardcore mans film.... The lion king (the original animation one from the 90s)

enjoyed every minute of it . its one of those films you are supposed to only watch if you are under 10 but you know as a grown man it still great to watch....and beats any of the more modern garbage that disney have been pumping out lately
I don't think it's just for under 10's, it has a lot of life lessons and quite dark for younger children.

It’s a great film, works on many level.

For children, it’s mostly singing and dancing animals.

For adults, it’s also about the pros and cons choice between a carefree life and a life of responsibility.

Micro Men 7/10

If you, and the others, enjoyed that then you'd very likely enjoy Halt and Catch Fire, if you haven't already seen it.

Halt and Catch Fire (TV Series 2014-2017)

GONCOyM.jpg

Set in the 1980s, this series dramatizes the personal computing boom through the eyes of a visionary, an engineer and a prodigy whose innovations directly confront the corporate behemoths of the time. Their personal and professional partnership will be challenged by greed and ego while charting the changing culture in Texas' Silicon Prairie.

In season one, the fictional company Cardiff Electric makes its first foray into personal computing with a project to build an IBM PC clone, led by entrepreneur Joe MacMillan (Lee Pace) with the help of computer engineer Gordon Clark (Scoot McNairy) and prodigy programmer Cameron Howe (Mackenzie Davis). Seasons two and three shift focus to a startup company, the online community Mutiny, headed by Cameron and Gordon's wife Donna (Kerry Bishé), while Joe ventures out on his own. The fourth and final season focuses on competing web search engines involving all the principal characters.

Back
Top Bottom