What film did you watch last night?

Triangle of Sadness - 7/10

I really enjoyed this. Lots of uncomfortableness, dry humour and a drunk Woody Harrelson. Also wasn’t quite what I expected which is always a bonus. I liked it more than The Square, I guess with that in mind I should check out his other film Force Majeure. Would recommend.

Watched the Storm Riders, famous Chinese manga characters (Wind and Cloud) brought to the big screen where their Kung Fu level borderline superhuman. Was made in the 90s so the effects arent the greatest compared to now but it was ok for its time. Absolutely loved it growing up. You can even watch it on youtube :D

Last edited:
A Quiet Place Part 2 - 5/10

Not sure why this was even made. It's just rehashing the first, which itself wasn't exactly the most original movie ever made.

Eminently forgettable.

The whole "scary monster can only use one sense" trope is done to death. Especially when they appear to be pretty bad even with that one sense.

Moreover this film also features inconsistent monster behaviour (we only hear/find/kill the red shirts, you know), general stupidity (in a world of face-eating monsters no self-respecting child stays put when they're told), and "isn't that convenient/just in time!" timing all over the place. It's another dumb, by-the-numbers flick that has no new ideas, filled with the same infuriating tropes you can find in a million other films just like it.

Last edited:
The Banshees of Inirsherin - 8/10
Found this really engaging for some reason. Superbly acted by Colin Farrell in particular but all the main parts are great.

Black Adam - 5/10
Bit of a car crash, at least with most Rock films, he has the charisma to carry things along, but a deliberately devoid of personality character even stimies that.

Entertaining but flawed film. Way too long, could easily trim 30-40 minutes and not lose anything. Visually impressive, but a total CGI overload. Very simplistic storyline and characters you struggle to tell the difference between as all just gangly blue people. That said, I enjoyed it more than most Hollywood blockbusters of late.

Entertaining but flawed film. Way too long, could easily trim 30-40 minutes and not lose anything. Visually impressive, but a total CGI overload. Very simplistic storyline and characters you struggle to tell the difference between as all just gangly blue people. That said, I enjoyed it more than most Hollywood blockbusters of late.

thats-racist-kid.gif

Last edited:
BUT, is it a Christmas film?

The big debate :cry:

More like ‘the debate that nobody has ever had’ :p

Minions: Rise of Gru

Some fleeting funny moments but entirely redundant. Shockingly underdeveloped and meaningless - wafer thin characters. One of the most vacant films I’ve ever seen.

3/10

More like ‘the debate that nobody has ever had:p

Minions: Rise of Gru

Some fleeting funny moments but entirely redundant. Shockingly underdeveloped and meaningless - wafer thin characters. One of the most vacant films I’ve ever seen.

3/10

Plenty of it has happened on this forum, and across the web. Even Bruce himself says it's not a Christmas film :P

Creed III - 3/10

What a load of donkey .....

I've watched some more of the Saw film series over the last couple of days, 3,4 and 5.

I thought #4 & #5 were better than the #3, but all are well worth viewing if you like horror/thriller type films.

Costas Mandylor plays a superb role in #4/#5. I think he may have also been in a little of #3, though I can't quite recall.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Among Thieves - 6/10 (higher if you're a DND fan, maybe 7.5) - I quite enjoyed this film, being a semi-DND fan, and I was surprised at how "inoffensive" it was to non-fans, as in its the sort of film the whole family could watch irrespective of knowing anything about DND and all enjoy it.

The cast do a pretty good job, with Pines charm schmoozing through the screen as a Bard should, Rodriguez really leaning in the Barbarian mindset and Grant chewing his way through all the scenery and having a whole lot of fun doing it, although the two "youngsters" playing the Druid and Sorcerer showed a definite gulf in acting quality over the more established stars. The story was OK-ish for the most part with plenty of DND nods through-out whilst not being over-bearing to non-fans, although it did suffer from the old "Magical MacGuffin in the right place at the right time to advance the story" syndrome a few very obvious times, with the ending being foreshadowed literally from the 10th minute onwards.

The CGI was quite well done for the most part, the humour worked well, the set/costume design was great and the location shots really added to the "reality" rather than being all CGI on a stage. The weakest part was the "bad guys" whose back-story was a few minutes of exposition at best and then dismissed until the very end for a very brief finale (<5 minutes).

Overall I enjoyed it enough that I noticed a numb-bum once in over 2hrs15 and I think it'll do better than expected due to word of mouth spreading

Back
Top Bottom