What film did you watch last night?

Shazam 2 (out local cinema is only just ahead of streaming). Fun, goofy entertainment.
Helen and Lucy both looked amazing. My wife told me that HM cracked two ribs doing her own stunts. Mind blown.
I've always admired her. She is old but has that "young" look about her... It's hard to explain.

I watched the film last night too, was silly fun.

Watched the Super Mario Bros movie this morning with the twins first ever cinema trip.

It was actually really enjoyable and quite nostalgic having grown up with a Gameboy Nes and SNES playing all the games. They managed to fit all the small things in I remember from Mario/DK and did it really well at the same time. Can see it being a great hit with families, had some good laughs that had the whole audience chuckling.

Pleasentlye surprised 8/10.

Creed III - 6½/10

Pretty average movie. I guess it's hard not to be predictable, but this went rather as you would expect, although I feel the main fight was kinda dull and I feel like they could have had a better reunion/make up after the fight perhaps?

Murder Mystery (2019) - 4/10

A silly and goofy take on the traditional story and setting with a multicultural cast of stereotypes which may have seemed funny on paper but isn’t used to any great effect. There’s an awkwardness about the writing and humour which is sometimes funny, but frequently not, which combined with the fact the mystery is second to the drama of their relationship, makes it dull to watch. The ending was good fun, but it’s nowhere near as smart as what it’s trying to parody.

and Murder Mystery 2 (2023) - 5/10

The same but different light hearted and mildly funny entertainment which could have been a lot better or a lot worse. There’s very little mystery to the murder, but with more slapstick action and silly farce, it’s more enjoyable than its predecessor. The setting is better, but the characters are less memorable and the plot is just as mediocre.

Skinamarink.

When I first heard about Skinamarink, I thought it sounded like one of those weird Kyle Edward Ball movies. And I was right: it is one of those weird Kyle Edward Ball movies. But is that a bad thing? Let's find out!

The premise is simple: two small children—Kevin and Kaylee—wake up in the middle of the night to discover their father is missing, and the nature of the house is changing erratically. All windows and exterior doors are spontaneously replaced by walls (preventing any escape), toys and other objects warp into eldritch shapes, and household items randomly flicker in and out of existence. Some of the lights still work, but the rest of the house remains in semi- or total darkness. Even the flow of time appears inconsistent.

As Kevin and Kaylee explore the house, they encounter a mysterious and unmistakeably sinister presence. Then, without warning, it begins to speak.

If you're already familiar with Ball's work, you'll have a good idea of what to expect here. If you're not, you're in for a rare treat. Be aware that this is an experimental film, and defies the usual genre categories.

Ball produced Skinamarink on a micro-budget in just seven days, with a case of four, using digitally replicated film grain and aggressive framing techniques. His application of oblique angles is particularly unsettling. Sound design is exceptional for a production of this calibre, and I was impressed by Ball's courageous decision to use a 10 layer audio track without any music.

I rate Skinamarink at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as an ambitious 7/10 on IMDB.

Last edited:
Skinamarink.

When I first heard about Skinamarink, I thought it sounded like one of those weird Kyle Edward Ball movies. And I was right: it is one of those weird Kyle Edward Ball movies. But is that a bad thing? Let's find out!

The premise is simple: two small children—Kevin and Kaylee—wake up in the middle of the night to discover their father is missing, and the nature of the house is changing erratically. All windows and exterior doors are spontaneously replaced by walls (preventing any escape), toys and other objects warp into eldritch shapes, and household items randomly flicker in and out of existence. Some of the lights still work, but the rest of the house remains in semi- or total darkness. Even the flow of time appears inconsistent.

As Kevin and Kaylee explore the house, they encounter a mysterious and unmistakeably sinister presence. Then, without warning, it begins to speak.

If you're already familiar with Ball's work, you'll have a good idea of what to expect here. If you're not, you're in for a rare treat. Be aware that this is an experimental film, and defies the usual genre categories.

Ball produced Skinamarink on a micro-budget in just seven days, with a case of four, using digitally replicated film grain and aggressive framing techniques. His application of oblique angles is particularly unsettling. Sound design is exceptional for a production of this calibre, and I was impressed by Ball's courageous decision to use a 10 layer audio track without any music.

I rate Skinamarink at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as an ambitious 7/10 on IMDB.
Not one for a Saturday morning with the kids then?

Back
Top Bottom