What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The Remains of the Day (1993)

A beautifully written old English script performed gratuitously by leading actors by Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.

This genre is not usually my cup of tea but it was such a fascinating watch and so interesting to see how the Lords lived back then.

And nice to see a young Hugh Grant and also OG Superman was here too.

9/10. Thoroughly enjoyable.

10/10 for the 4K remaster.

The first Merchant-Ivory film to receive a 4K UHD upgrade looks fantastic in the format, thanks to a superb Dolby Vision transfer that showcases its artistry and attention to period detail. More accessible and involving than most Merchant-Ivory movies, The Remains of the Day examines the complex relationship between a butler and housekeeper in pre-World War II Britain and features memorable nuanced performances from Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson. Dolby Atmos audio and all the extras from the 2019 Blu-ray enhance this top-notch release.

Soldato
Sunshine has a lot of the same elements of 28 franchise - the music and underlying momentum/terror.

blunt force trauma on freeview this week - very original concept - modern day dueling, with elements of Kill Bill with micky rourke character replacing carradine.

Permabanned

Brilliant little film. Great animation, about solitude and loneliness. Beautiful and depressing at the same time. I was hooked from the get go. Highly recommended.

A tale of friendship between two unlikely pen pals: Mary, a lonely, eight-year-old girl living in the suburbs of Melbourne, and Max, a forty-four-year old, severely obese man living in New York.

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't even know there was another film planned, is he directing it?

Most recent interviews with Brolin cast a lot of doubt on another movie, it's one of those projects where a lot of folk are 'interested' but no one can get the momentum to start it off.

EDIT: Cross chat with Sicario, my bad :D

Can see you're talking about a third '28' movie - interviews at the end of last year with Boyle said it's in progress.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Didn't even know there was another film planned, is he directing it?
Yeah as SixTwoSix says above, in progress. I hope soon as it's been a while.. loved the first two.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Soldato
Shazam! (2019)

I usually avoid Marvel/DC films but took a punt with this hoping for something light-hearted. It was pretty entertaining with a few good laughs in there but kind of lost its way in the final third.

7/10

Caporegime
Escape Room: Tournament of Champions 6/10

The first one was absolutely fun nonsense. The second one is even more fun and even more nonsense. So many things don't make sense yet somehow it's still quite fun. The design for the rooms is cool (apart from the first one) but my god it makes no sense if you think about the plot twists for more than 5 seconds :D

Associate
Been on a film binge just recently while I recover from my operation.

Recently watched The Conversation did not expect that to grip me considering the age of the film but the paranoia aspect was brilliantly played.

Road to Perdition, love the era can't believe I let this slip through the net. Fantastic film and was interesting seeing Tom Hanks and Jude Law playing very out of character roles.

Shadow and the Moon. Interesting premise but ran out of ideas and steam very quickly and the ending was very meh.

Today I watched Fury, never seen before. Had never interested me but glad I did in the end, very, very graphic. Made Saving Private Ryan tame in comparison.

Then I watched the 2022 Scream dear god what has become of the franchise. Even the old guard looked tired and going through the motions.

Probably watch some more tomorrow while I still have a few more days of recovery!

Back
Top Bottom