What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Freaky (2020) - 8 / 10

A cross between ‘Freaky Friday’ and ‘Friday the 13th’ which is refreshingly unabashed about its origins.

Gory gruesome fun with plenty of teen humour and slasher horror. The story’s straightforward, the characters are stereotypes and the themes are unoriginal, but it’s very entertaining and fun to watch.

It is a bit cringey at times and the body count was a bit low, but there are some fun riffs on the formula and the acting was good.

Associate
Troll (2022) - 6 / 10

A Norwegian monster movie in the style of a Hollywood blockbuster like ‘Godzilla’ or ‘King Kong’ but using their national folklore and language instead.

There’s some stunning natural scenery as you would expect from the setting and the CGI is great, but the plot is predictably straightforward and the characters and their relationships are cliché.

It tries to be sad and poignant at times, especially towards the end, but it’s too trapped in its ‘big movie’ style, so has to do the big finale and showdown which although exciting to watch, was a bit silly. If it had focused on the folklore of the creature and humanity’s relationship with nature instead of bland military action scenes and the government’s response, it could have been something special but as it is, it’s just another monster movie.

Associate
Willys Wonderland , wow that was crap 1/10
Children shouldnt play with dead things , was better on VHS in the 80's (well i thought it was) 1/10.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Rocky III (1982)

I absolutely forget how awesome this was. Clubber Lang's one liners had me in stitches :cry:. And Thunderlips....epic.

Great build ups, superb fights, real emotion and the Eye of the Tiger soundtrack.

A well deserved 10/10 movie.

I'm glad to say the 4K remaster was done right too.

Thank you for reminding me of this movie and what a great recommendation. Haven't seen it in years and absolutely loved it. Classic Gem. Rocky at his best. Creed movies was good but does not come close to this.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What on earth would possess you to just watch The Grudge 3 if you haven't seen the original :cry:

Even the original is not that great tbh, it's quite overrated.

You take that back! The American remake of The Grudge is superb!!

It’s one of only two horror films to give me multi-day heebie jeebies as an adult (the other being Hereditary).

• Haha
Reactions: Kyo

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I tell you a good Japanese horror movie, the original Dark Water (not the american remake) was so scary when i watched it, had nightmare for weeks and slept with the lights on. Yes i stayed in a flat at the time which didnt help. :D

Man of Honour
Actually I'm not even sure if I've seen the American version, just the original Japanese. Is it really worth watching?

The original Japanese version plays out a little more like an anthology of events (relatively speaking), whereas the remake puts more emphasis on there being a singular narrative (again, relatively speaking). A lot of things are copied over though.

I do think the remake / reimagining is better, personally. If you can overlook the ‘not-bad-but-glossy’ casting of ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ and an unnecessary CGI apparition early on, I think it’s a pretty effective chiller / haunted house yarn.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom