What film did you watch last night?

The Covenant 7/10
I'm not normally a Guy Ritchie fan, but this was a really good film. Good performances and good story.

Only minus for me was the colour palette. Typical blue wash teal and orange fest you get in nearly every film now. It's jarring and pulls you right out of the movie. Do something different, please.

Last edited:
Fast X - 6½/10

I guess in some ways I went in with very low expectations and they were met and almost exceeded. Of course, this doesn't mean it was good! It was entertaining enough though, if you can just let yourself go and accept all that is happening :cry: I hadn't realised it is basically the first of a two parter. I might have left it until XI came out if I knew this.

Fast X - 6½/10

I guess in some ways I went in with very low expectations and they were met and almost exceeded. Of course, this doesn't mean it was good! It was entertaining enough though, if you can just let yourself go and accept all that is happening :cry: I hadn't realised it is basically the first of a two parter. I might have left it until XI came out if I knew this.

Asteroid City (2023) - 8/10

Weird and bizarre don’t even begin to describe how odd and peculiar this film is, but it’s still good entertainment and a joy to watch.

It’s a mixture of a play with no purpose and a collection of character studies set in small-town America during the 1950’s.

There’s plenty of quirky humour and an overly authentic old style of TV/cinema with plenty of models, colourful sets and eccentric characters, both on and behind the screen.

It does feel a bit long towards the end and the ending wasn’t particularly rewarding, but the acting and music was good.

The Master https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1560747/

Great performances by all, especially Hoffman and Phoenix.
I tried watching it once before but didn't get very far into it, so this time I made sure to see it all the way through.
Overall, I guess I quite enjoyed it, though I didn't take to Freddie's character, but that may have been intentional.

Last edited:
Blackberry - 8/10

Really interesting movie. Much like the Tetris movie, they clearly did some proper dodgy stuff, but the lengths people go to to succeed are impressive. It kinda made me wish they'd been able to innovate to keep up and we might still have a third player in the market.

The Machine!!! - 6/10 for a Bert fan, 3/10 for a normie who doesn't know the original story - I'm a big Bert fan and knew The Machine story from years ago, enjoy his stand-up generally and absolutely love his "2 Bears" podcast so I'm going to be overly generous compared to someone with no idea who just fancies watching a random film, so bare that in mind for this.

Based around the made-up consequences of Bert's original "The Machine" story (he went to Russia as a 23yo on a Uni trip and accidentality joined the Russian mob as he could drink heavily which impressed their fixer/mob guy) the story is very weak, its just an excuse to to come up with a "sequel" if you will, with zero charm and no real need to be told (other than money) which only works due to Bert being a comedian, so if you don't like his stand-up then bypass this film as its only a vehicle for more Bert.

The cast do an OK job whilst the actor playing "young" Bert does a better job, however its Mark Hamill who really seems to to "get" what this film is about and throws himself into the role with gusto and is easily the best part for me. The rest of the cast is pretty much throw-away, even the female Russian lead who is supposed to be Bert's foil in this. The CGI is understandably awful and the stunts are very "generic" with the usual trope of 5ft7 9st female beating up 30+ 6ft 13st stuntmen with ease for 5 minutes at a time like a poor "female John Wick" impersonation.

The good stuff is, as always, Bert and his reactions to events around him (the "throat Punch" etc) and as I like his comedy then I quite enjoyed watching him go silly for nearly 2 hrs but even so I probably only laughed a handful of times and certainly had no belly laughs at any point, something I regularly do to his podcast etc.

In the end this felt like it should have been a 15 minute short film done as a skit but has ended up as a 2hr film instead, with the writers then going "Oh crap, how do we pad this out for this long?????" and then struggling to find things to do. So passable if you like Bert and avoidable if you've never heard of him or the story.

Pitch Perfect - 7/10

Never actually watched this before as I thought it was a women's film. Pleasantly surprised! And I now have a huge crush on Anna Kendrick. She has something quirky about her, can't quite put my finger on it but she's top stuff!

The Master https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1560747/

Great performances by all, especially Hoffman and Phoenix.
I tried watching it once before but didn't get very far into it, so this time I made sure to see it all the way through.
Overall, I guess I quite enjoyed it, though I didn't take to Freddie's character, but that may have been intentional.

If you've not seen Capote - give it a watch.

Extraction 2 - 6.5/10 - they took all the (mostly) grounded action of the first and just sort of said, nah, let's go Fast & Furious on this one. As absurd as a lot of the action was, I recognised and accepted it at the start and as such ended up enjoying it overall.

The emotional beats don't really land as they should due to how over the top it all was so the moments of quiet inbetween set pieces feel like a nuisance rather than expanding things.

One thing I have to give credit to is the hand to hand scenes with Nik, I thought they were better than Hemsworths. You see her struggle with guys a lot bigger than her and use other tools to her advantage, she's not just a strong hollywood woman because reasons, i'd happily watch a film around her escapades.

Ronin (1998)

Its been a while since I've watched this and have been waiting for the 4k remaster. Safe to say it did not disappoint.
Loved the car chases and seeing the cool 90s cars again. Even spotted a Rover 600. DiNiro as cool as ever.

9/10

Back
Top Bottom