What film did you watch last night?

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) - 7/10

A tarnished treasure of an adventure which suffers from having one too many artifacts in it.

The plot was good with its traditional style of storytelling but was too long considering its simplicity and the character’s singular motivations, resulting in the same formulaic pattern of events occurring one too many times.

The green screen scenes were noticeably poor which is a shame as the CGI and stunts were otherwise quite good with their slapstick style of action and the big set pieces were dramatic and entertaining.

The nostalgia and acknowledgements to the franchise’s place in modern times were humorous and didn’t labour the point and the cast and acting were ok if generally a bit too pandering to archetypes.

Reactions: Kyo
The Raid - 8.5/10

Just class, think it's the fourth time I've seen it and I still found it great. The choreography is absolutely brilliant throughout. If I was to criticise it, it's that the plot and character development is very barebones. It's 95% action but that action is absolutely top notch.

The Changeling (1980) - 8/10

Supposedly a favourite of Martin Scorsese, so I thought I’d check it out. An enjoyable supernatural horror film that I’d never heard of before. Nice to watch films that don’t rely on constant jump scares.

Three colours trilogy

Watched all 3 over a few days. I remember watching red when I was maybe 13/14 late night on channel 4 despite it being fully subtitled couldn’t stop watching. Going back and watching the trilogy today, it’s an amazing trilogy on the 3 core values representing the French flag the white movie is a great black comedy that holds up today too.

Leon - This one slipped by me, good film as well with a young Natalie Portman. 8/10
How on earth did that slip you by! Gary Oldman was the star of the show. Excellent performance.

giphy.gif

Beau Is Afraid. Not a bad watch. I felt it was pretty good at showing the emotional journey of the main character. Its one of those movies you have to watch twice to fully understand what the writer & director is trying to portray.

Raid 2 - 9.5/10

Those criticisms of the first? Not here. Actually a pretty good story on top of the brilliant action. It doesn't have the 'surprise' factor the first had but that is true of any sequel.

Extraction 2 - 7 / 10

I kind of enjoyed it. Maybe once again, reading in here, my expectations were very low. I didn't think it was anywhere near as silly as John Wick or Fast & Furious. Most of the action was reasonably believable to me. They tended to shoot from cover and cover each other. It gets me when people walk down a street, shooting people out of windows etc, but there was none of that. In fact, I'm going to say 7/10.

Back
Top Bottom