What film did you watch last night?

I am hoping today is the day I finally get to watch Alien³ (Assembly Cut), will update the post if I do.

However as my brother was around we ended up watch The Thing (2011). I think it's a good film, sets up the original nicely but doesn't bring anything original over the first one - it's a rehash so I can see why some people thought it was a remake rather a prequel. I do like some characters though, especially Jonas and Peder (the latter of which should have had a better..er..exit).

Also, it's shame they replaced the special effects and the Pilot with cgi.

7/10

* update

Nope, didn't get to watch it.

Last edited:
Extraction II (2023) - 6 /10

A so-so action film with a slow start and a daft ending.

The characters and plot are simple and is mostly Hemsworth being the star with his heroics, emotional backstory and infallible abilities.

The long action scenes look good with plenty of explosions and a seamless blend of shooting and hand to hand combat, but stray into unrealistic too often. They are very entertaining as they have a lot going on manage to maintain a constant momentum and frequent escalation, but because of the nature of the film, they lack suspense and tension.

More could have been done with the setting and the music was unremarkable, but it was good entertainment and not too long.

Fast Furious 9 - 6/10

What a mess. Not sure where to begin, but Lucas Black from Toyko Drift ala the Drift King was a great part time addition, until they ruined him pretty fast. I still don't know who was driving that blue skyline at the final dinner scene - Brian's dead so who is it? The past flashback scenes I enjoyed more than the present scenes tbh.

Eternals - 5/10 - with GOTG3 coming out, i've decided to fill in the gaps of post Endgame MCU movies before watching it - this is the first.

It's just so exceedingly average, little we haven't seen before with characters you couldn't remotely care about who don't seem invested in what they're doing.

I do hope they go more into the celestial or Galactus type route with future movies - not sure how many more times I can care that the world is threatened before being saved last minute in a blaze of CGI and corny one liners.

Up next, Black Panther 2 (then Quantamania before GOTG3, already seen Thor 4 and Dr Strange 2)

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 - 7/10

Maybe against some of the opinion here, I thought it was good, but not as good as previous ones. I guess it's in the same style, so maybe after a while it's not as fresh and funny? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I feel like I loved the others, this was just good. Often the music is a high for these too, for me, the choices this time didn't float my boat. The track at the end with everyone dancing, to me just wasn't a track that made you want to dance...

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 - 7/10

Maybe against some of the opinion here, I thought it was good, but not as good as previous ones. I guess it's in the same style, so maybe after a while it's not as fresh and funny? Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I feel like I loved the others, this was just good. Often the music is a high for these too, for me, the choices this time didn't float my boat. The track at the end with everyone dancing, to me just wasn't a track that made you want to dance...
The song makes perfect sense. It's by Florence and the Machine - The dogs days are over. (Great song btw)

The song about finding happiness and realising that there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. No matter what hardships they are facing they will reach a point when the “dog days are over,” and the struggles will all be in the past. Exactly what happened at the end of the movie. This is why they were celebrating and dancing.

The very last scene with Rocket dancing and saying YEAHHHH! sealed it for me. It was the perfect ending.

There hasn't been a movie that's played with my emotions like that did for a while... I absolutely loved it.

Last edited:
Avengers Infinity War - 10/10

This is definitely Marvel's Masterpiece. Best Marvel movie bar none. Perfectly paced and well acted. Cements Thanos as one of the best cinematic villains ever. End Game was great but not on the same level as this. It felt that every Marvel movie before led to this. I would have been happy if they ended it there, but of course a fan service needed to be in End Game.

The last scene with Thanos sitting and watching the sunset. Powerful. The song choice from Alan Sivestri too, absolutely brilliant. Especially the last few seconds.

The song makes perfect sense. It's by Florence and the Machine - The dogs days are over. (Great song btw)

The song about finding happiness and realising that there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. No matter what hardships they are facing they will reach a point when the “dog days are over,” and the struggles will all be in the past. Exactly what happened at the end of the movie. This is why they were celebrating and dancing.
Which I suppose is fine... the music just wasn't 'great' to me like we've had in previous movies. Everyone will have different tastes in music though... I don't believe you would put that track on at a party to get people up and dancing :)

Last edited:
Which I suppose is fine... the music just wasn't 'great' to me like we've had in previous movies. Everyone will have different tastes in music though... I don't believe you would put that track on at a party to get people up and dancing :)
I mean I was listening to in the bathroom earlier and was dancing about like a tit :D

The music choice was different because Peter acquired a Zune at the end of GotG 2.

Back
Top Bottom