What film did you watch last night?

Mission: Impossible Dead Reckoning Part One - 8 / 10

With its traditional style and formulaic presentation it can seem a bit old-fashioned, but once the adventure ramps up and the theme song starts, it becomes exhilarating entertainment and enjoyable to watch from start to finish.

The stunts are great and get bigger and better as the film progresses and there’s plenty of funny reactions which inject a bit of humour and fun.

The acting and characters are good and varied, although the new female lead is a bit too ‘green’ and the rest look a bit old and tired at times.

The plot is a bit stretched out and labours the threat, but it drives the film and allows for lots of globetrotting, iconic scenes and use of the IMF spy craft.

Over the past few weeks I've been watching the Fast and Furious series from 5-9. From stealing DVD players to ending up in space. 6/10 for switching your brain off and watching it for the action.

Wargames (1983) - 9/10

I'd never heard of this film but stuck it on and it was brilliant, even for such an old film it still holds up well today. Loved it.

Now that's a blast from my past, seen it so many times :cool:

You could try another from that era, Red Dawn (1984) though not sure how well it will have held up over time. Hell of a cast in it in early roles, with a lot of them going on to be big stars.

Last edited:
Hypnotic https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8080204/

I thought this started off alright, enough to keep me interested in it anyway.
The good news is that around a third to halfway in, it began to get even better,
with twists and turns that I didn't see coming.

Films like Inception and Invasion of the Body Snatchers sprung to mind while watching,
though, don't take that too literally, especially the latter.

All in all, I don't think it's one I'd choose to watch again, but I'm glad I saw it for a one-off viewing.
Despite the very mediocre rating on IMDB, I'd rate it a little higher than that, not that I tend to give films a score,
but if I were to, this would hit around a 7/10 for me. Maybe a little lower.

Last edited:
The Killers (1946) 6/10

Love a good film noir! The Killers is based on Ernest Hemmingway's novel. A true Hollywood classic, Burt Lancaster's first film starring Ava Gardner, although I actually prefer the 1964 remake with Lee Marvin.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) 7/10

Always enjoy a good Zombie movie, although I get confused with Romero's Zombie films order and remakes. I might have got the wrong film; this one was in colour and not Black and White.

A group of friends camp in a lonely hut in the middle of nowhere. When watching the film, it dawned that I had seen this before! A Zombie locked in the basement, the film is strange at times; a scene where trees attack one victim...

A good film, listening back to a lost explorers recording and the guessing of cards scene is epic; reminded me of The Exorcist.

Last edited:
Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning. 8.5/10 - absolutely loved it. Thrilling from start to finish. Tom Cruise keeps turning it up and delivering. The usual high octane action , humour from the gang with some brilliant sequences and a intriguing plot. The car chases, the stunts barely gives you time to relax. Makes the 2 hour 43mins fly by. Can't wait for Pt2. Would highly recommend watching on IMAX if you can.

Last edited:
Night of the Living Dead (1968) 7/10

Always enjoy a good Zombie movie, although I get confused with Romero's Zombie films order and remakes. I might have got the wrong film; this one was in colour and not Black and White.

A group of friends camp in a lonely hut in the middle of nowhere. When watching the film, it dawned that I had seen this before! A Zombie locked in the basement, the film is strange at times; a scene where trees attack one victim...

A good film, listening back to a lost explorers recording and the guessing of cards scene is epic; reminded me of The Exorcist.
Think you watched The Evil Dead by mistake. ;)

Lou - 6/10

An alright thriller film with a cheap Tom Hardy.

Sing - 8/10

Watched with the kids as they love it and found myself really enjoying it too. Animation is great and had some genuine laughs from me.

Simpsons Film - Awful/10

It’s rare I don’t finish a film, but 40 minutes into this and I’d had enough. The tone was weird especially with Homer just being a massive douche.

Last edited:
Bird Box Barcelona. Got panned in the reviews which i think were a bit harsh. I mean the stories daft but they couldnt just do the first one in a different location. I thought it was dubbed well aswell. 6/10

Mission Impossible - Dead reckoning Part One - 6/10

Honestly don’t get the hype. I think Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo were drunk when they watched it; given their hugely positive reviews and discussions.

Fallout was miles better. This was fine, the train stuff was decent but beyond that I could not get excited. I think hunting for some magic key that does “something” is pure lazy writing and dangerously close to a Fast and Furious setup.

Back
Top Bottom