What film did you watch last night?

oppenheimer 6/10

actually I watched this today (sorry, I know the thread asks what you watched last night, but I don't care, sue me)

It was alright a watch, it was a bit hyped from all the advertising. not as good as I hoped, but not as bad as I feared.
Decend acting a good script to a point, but it was 3 hours, too long for some so I came out of cinema after what seemed like 160 years

could have had the last hour of it cut out, and it would have been better.
I really want to see this at the cinema but not sure I could sit for the 3 hours.

Got bored, found an old james bond dvd box set.

Of all the james bond movies I could have picked, I just finished wathcing moonraker .

Would love to know what kind of materials the producer was sniffing when he thought it would be a great idea to combine star wars ldeas (lazers) to a james bond move.

I will be generous an give it a 8/10 because the effects were so bad it made me laugh, so I found it good.

..and it had jaws in it , best bond henchman by far

Of all the james bond movies I could have picked, I just finished wathcing moonraker .

Would love to know what kind of materials the producer was sniffing when he thought it would be a great idea to combine star wars ldeas (lazers) to a james bond move.

I will be generous an give it a 8/10 because the effects were so bad it made me laugh, so I found it good.

I loved Jaws in those films!

The Godfather

Incredibly, I'd never got round to watching this before. It's reputation as a cinematic masterpiece is well deserved: slow, moody, excellently written, and with many standout performances. 3 hours long, but unlike many modern movies of similar length, it actually feels like it needs to be.

A definite watch 9/10

Btw: are the sequels worth it? Or are they more on the cash-in end of things?
I and II are excellent, 3rd is good but not on the same level as the first 2.
I might have to give these a rewatch - haven't seen them in a long time.

I loved Jaws in those films!

moonraker_s_27_500.jpg

Jaws loves you too

Maze Runner Part 3 - 4.5/10

I know it's a film for kids. I know. It's just lazy and cliched and derivative and... and I didn't mind the first film. It was something a bit different. Then #2 and #3 just became, "Oh, we've slipped into a generic movie franchise with a very over-used premise. Ok, then."

No more mazes, just another film of that genre, doing much the same things they all do. Tbh, the 2nd and 3rd parts didn't really need to exist. And they weren't good.

The Eternals - 6.5/10

An unpopular opinion BUT seeing the recent MCU movies this was actually a breath of fresh air.

It tries something different. It doesn't suceed on many levels but just the effort to do something different is appreciative. Too big of a cast to make any really stand out but the scale of this I find vastly superior to more recent offerings. The Deviants are terrible and probably one of the worst 'villains' made by Marvel movies but the overall story and it's arc is actually well done, if only it was recognised in any of the Marvel films afterwards. It isn't great but tbh with the recent churn out of Marvel films and TV shows it was refreshing. Whilst none of the characters were particularly rememorable it is still very different, and different enough to be interesting at least.
I'm with you on this one. Enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than than the majority of stuff they've put out since Endgame.

Barbie - 2/10

Well, what a disappointment that was. We watched it last night and after reading a lot of the feedback on here I was looking forward to it, as I like films with a satirical commentary on society, but this really really didn't hit the mark for us. It wasn't the message itself just the way it was put over. We found the whole format puerile and childish - yes I know it's Barbie but as has been discussed the subject matter of existentialist dread and gender positions wthin society and patriarchalism aren't exactly being aimed at the age group who play with dolls, but the format in which it was being put over was.

Now two recent films I did really enjoy that had a satirical commentary on society were Triangle of Sadness and The Menu.

Oppenheimer next, hopefully that lives up more to the hype train, though it worries me now that Kermode preffered Barbie to it! :cry:

Trouble is, it's a little difficult giving 'Triangle of Sadness' as a recommendation to anyone.

Unless you enjoy feeling awkward while watching a film then fancy serving that with a large dose of depression after giving it retrospective thought.

Last edited:

Bond's answer to the success of Star Wars! Moonraker is one of the worst.

Broccoli released For Your Eyes Only which reigned in the nonsense and is one of Moore's best Bond films. Jaws is a legend and I was disappointed that he never appeared in the Craig films. Hinx in Spectre was the nearest but killed off far too soon!

Licence to Kill was another, took the success theme of the time (Miami Vice) only this time, made one of the best Bond films ever.

Last edited:
Dune 1984 - 7/10 it makes a reasonable effort to get the plot and World building across. The set design and effects are good for the Era. It fails as a Dune film but not by much. Villeneuve's film is beautiful but misses so much.

The book is a Bouillabaisse.
The 1984 film is a hearty chowder.
The 2021 film is a fine consomme.

Finally got round to watching Puss In boots 2 after @Nitefly kept saying how good it was. It was actually damn good! Great villains, great cast and a pretty cool story too. 9/10

Glad you liked it! It’s still leading my films of the year list…

1. PIB2
2. Beau is Afraid
3. Oppenheimer

… which looks ridiculous when written down like that :o

I wouldn’t recommend that anyone should watch BIA without knowing that’s it’s very, very hard work… but if you want a film that will potentially be on your mind at 3am for months, which is something I apparently value, there you go.

Last edited:
Licence to Kill was another, took the success theme of the time (Miami Vice) only this time, made one of the best Bond films ever.
Didn't get round to it last night, but primed for later!
Thinking of moving on to the Brosnan's this weekend, from memory Goldeneye wasn't bad, a couple of the others were shocking?

Back
Top Bottom