What film did you watch last night?

Speed - the Keanu Reeves classic!

Eh, sort of. I remember always enjoying this, but it has aged nowhere near as well Die Hard 3 (which I reviewed in this thread recently). Very 90s with its silly ‘emergency services TV show’ music and shallow as a puddle characters. Sandra Bullock is quite fun and arguably upstages Keanu, whereas Dennis Hopper is slightly bemusing but nowhere near as gloriously ‘Dennis Hopper!!!’ as I remember.

As Michael Bay as it sounds, the best thing in the film is probably the explosions - there are some great ones here! The second best thing in the film is the continual reference to a tall man as gigantor :o :D

Not something I’d rush to revisit - quite dated, unfortunately. That jumping bus scene is still just about ‘so bad it’s good’… but barely.

6/10

Last edited:
Nobody (2021)

Almost like a tongue in cheek John Wick, I am not sure Bob Odenkirk can quite pull off the character though if I am honest, I enjoyed the movie don't get me wrong, but wouldn't watch it again unless it happened to be on. Bonus points for having Christopher Lloyd* though.

5/10

The Covenant (2023)

Quite an eye opening movie, although not a true story, I guess similar would have happened. Quite a well put together movie although not a massive fan of Jake Howeveryouspellit, the guy that played the interpreter Dar Salim, was a 10 out 10 performance for me.

7/10

*EDIT: And Michael Ironside!

Last edited:
Ant Man Quantumania - the last of 3 as I fill in the gaps before GOTG3 - certainly better than last two I watched BP2 and Eternals.

The quirky Star Wars, sorry, quantum realm aliens/creatures were imaginative and fun - Rudd gives a decent performance although the forced humour wears thin quickly.

Nice to see they're giving the interns work to do with the M.O.D.O.K. cgi :D

Kang is another meh-level villan, shame as Majors has been a decent actor in a bunch of other movies/TV i've seen.

Score is maybe a 6/10 as I wasn't bored at least unlike the last two I watched.

----------

General feeling on MCU at this point is poor, it all stinks of milking the franchise with no heart or soul in the movies, the build up to Infinity War felt like it had stakes, like the actors really took it all seriously, not until phase 3 did the wheels start to come off a little. Nothing in the post endgame line up could be considered anything better than average, there are no stand outs, only in mediocrity. Sadly as a 40+ year Marvel/DC comic reader, i'm still invested, no matter how much I don't want to be.

The sequel is on par if not slightly better than the first too.
The sequel had a few too many silly moments for me, like Hemsworth taking shelter from a gatling gun behind a ladder on the train :D

I watched the first again shortly before the new one and I think it's a better all rounder, not to say part 2 doesn't have some great action scenes, it really does, it just doesn't hit the same stride for me at least.

As I said in this thread when I watched a few weeks back, part 2 felt like Hemsworth went fast and furious, the first was a bit more grounded. First movie is an 8/10, part 2 a 6.5.

Last edited:
Half of The Flash - was late and so will finish today :) They've just finished their visit to Russia.

WTAF? Don't get me wrong, there are some good bits so far, but not overly impressed - it seems more like a SNL or Jimmy Fallon skit than a AAA movie. The humour is childish and repetitive, especially the parts with just Barry Allen and his younger self. The only part i laughed at was in the lab when he tried to run when he had lost his powers. The babies falling and save was more disturbing than funny - X-Men did the slo-mo stuff much, much better.

Maybe it's because i know the main actor is a creep irl - he gives off these exact vibes in the movie.

But Batman and especially the multiverse Batman - very cool indeed.

Last edited:
The Godfather

Incredibly, I'd never got round to watching this before. It's reputation as a cinematic masterpiece is well deserved: slow, moody, excellently written, and with many standout performances. 3 hours long, but unlike many modern movies of similar length, it actually feels like it needs to be.

A definite watch 9/10

Btw: are the sequels worth it? Or are they more on the cash-in end of things?

The Godfather

Incredibly, I'd never got round to watching this before. It's reputation as a cinematic masterpiece is well deserved: slow, moody, excellently written, and with many standout performances. 3 hours long, but unlike many modern movies of similar length, it actually feels like it needs to be.

A definite watch 9/10

Two is absolutely as good - in fact, I prefer it, you can skip 3.

The Triangle of Sadness; same director did The Square (which I thought was a better film).

Still very enjoyable class satire style story with an outrageously disgusting and hilarious 15mins or so dinner scene and aftermath. 7/10.

The Godfather

A definite watch 9/10

Godfather 2 is famously one of the few sequels that is better than the original.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom