What film did you watch last night?

Elemental (2023)

I slammed this upon release for being insanely unappealing, but it was suitable enough for Monday evening fodder.

Really not too bad. The ‘ooo whimsical world’ and ‘basic sort-of-trying-to-be-clever gags’ are pretty tired, but the core of the story is well executed and the emotions they are going for actually land… although it is a little heavy handed at times.

There was a genuine laugh from me with the bleak ‘man on his deathbed’ story, so I had suspended my cynicism long before the end.

7/10

Testament of Youth (2014)

Story from the perspective of one woman's experience of losing her brother, fiance, and their friend in the holocaust that was WWI to her experience as a nurse on the front line treating the wounded on both sides to the beginnings of her pacifist belief that violence only begets more violence that even people who are your enemy deserve to be treated with humanity that still has resonance today re:recent events in the ME. There is a street in Germany named for her today. From the best selling book by Vera Brittain.

Devastating. 8/10

Killers of the Flower Moon (2023) - 8/10

A captivating story of the greed of the white man as they steal the money from the Osage through marriage and murder.

The devil truly wears a white suit and a permanent smile as they ruthlessly take advantage of the simple and peaceful Indians, with corruption rife in their small town/reservation.

It’s a very long film and it meanders loosely through its plot, but it was never boring. The acting was superb and the artistic style and design of the period was great with plenty of tribal culture amongst the white American.

I went to see this last night and thought it was excellent. I don't think there was a poor performance by anyone, but Di Caprio and Gladstone were really top drawer. De Niro really nailed the evil old man role as well. I'm struggling to think of another director who's consistently put out as many great films for such a long period as Scorcese!

Sharper - conman movie on Apple TV. Each act follows a different characters POV and on the whole it was a decent flick. I enjoyed the build up more than the pay off which lost it points. The final act felt rushed and clumsy, homework due after lunch break so done in the library 20mims before. Nice soundtrack though.

I think we should allow it as that first season of True Detective is near perfect.
I genuinely think it is the only TV series I've ever watched that feels like a film?
Everything else good is always in my mind as that's an amazing... Series.

TD S1 if you cut the intro/credits out and spliced it together, literally is an 8 hour film.

I genuinely cant think of any other series that really could pass as a long movie? Love all the usual ones anyone will name, but none feel like a film, TD S1 has such a hold on you, I dunno, just perfect, and that's something I don't say often. S2 was good but that did feel like a series, still have to get round to S3. But 1 is just offt!

Nope! Rules is rules! Before you know it people are in here talking about Strictly!
:eek:
Who has the ban hammer?
But but but film actors made like a film and cut up :(
What's strictly ;) ... You've just let everyone down by acknowledging nonsense like that's existence ;)

Last edited:
Scary Movie 3

Notably less ‘dirty’ than the prior two films (for a wider audience?) and the jokes roll a little slower, but still keeping it stupid / amusing. Lampoons (amongst other things) Signs, The Ring and 8 Mile.

S’alright! Bit of a give and take… the longer joke set ups lose something I think.

6/10

Scary Movie 3

Notably less ‘dirty’ than the prior two films (for a wider audience?) and the jokes roll a little slower, but still keeping it stupid / amusing. Lampoons (amongst other things) Signs, The Ring and 8 Mile.

S’alright! Bit of a give and take… the longer joke set ups lose something I think.

6/10
'I got a dream, to have a dream.' - it's odd, haven't seen these movies for a long time but certain things just pop into my head when they're mentioned.

Move onto the A Haunted House 1 & 2 next as don't think the Wayans did any writing after SM3. You can immediately see the tonal change when the Wayans got moved off the Scary Movie franchise but A Haunted House is them carrying on in spirit ;)

'I got a dream, to have a dream.' - it's odd, haven't seen these movies for a long time but certain things just pop into my head when they're mentioned.

Move onto the A Haunted House 1 & 2 next as don't think the Wayans did any writing after SM3. You can immediately see the tonal change when the Wayans got moved off the Scary Movie franchise but A Haunted House is them carrying on in spirit ;)

Thanks buddy will check it out :)

Back
Top Bottom