What film did you watch last night?

I think I was one of the few who put up a review for Mr Inbetween before it became mainstream*

*Mainstream with my real life rather than on here :D

Ah, didn't know that. I only discovered it start of this year and already consider it in my top 10 TV shows ever.

Agreed its a brilliant series - Have you watched the 2005 Movie that the TV series sprang from - The Magician?

images

EDIT: Also - I don't answer questions :p

Last edited:
I have it on a list to watch, first thing I did after I finished the series was see what else the star/writer(s) had done.

Yeah, same... He's only ever did these 2 things though which is a shame because he's a good actor, at least as this character.

I have it on my watchlist as well... Just trying to find where to watch it. AFAIK, it can be watched "via the USA" ;)

EDIT: Actually, it appears to be available on YT, at least via Reddit :confused:

Last edited:
Yeah, same... He's only ever did these 2 things though which is a shame because he's a good actor, at least as this character.

I have it on my watchlist as well... Just trying to find where to watch it. AFAIK, it can be watched "via the USA" ;)

EDIT: Actually, it appears to be available on YT, at least via Reddit :confused:
Sounds like you hit the same immediate obstacle I did and then sort of forgot about it - i'll have a look around again this evening.

Catching up on a few I've watched recently:

1. Manchester by the Sea (2016)
I'd heard good things about it. Unfortunately it didn't click with me. I found the main character not particularly likeable, even when you learn about his past, so I found it hard to empathise with him. 6/10.

2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
I liked it and the surreal dream scenes were interesting. It feels like a film that warrants another watch or two to fully digest it all and get the message(s) it's trying to put across. 7/10.

3. Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
Enjoyable, if a little cheesy. Kind of a bit throwaway. 7/10.

Warcraft 10/10

Such a damn good movie, I've seen it so many times too!

I mean seriously, the OST!

I mean, I like the Warcraft games and the cutscenes they do are spot on, but I personally thought the film itself was pretty disappointingly mediocre. I guess I'm not alone as I've not heard any talk of a sequel since it came out 7 years ago.

Elemental

4/10

What a load of rehashed garbage.

Forbidden young love/Romeo and Juliet etc, girl who doesn't want to stay put and do the family business and just has to pursue greatness, bit of immigration/prejudice stuff thrown in too.

Disney really, really hates the idea of a woman staying to live near her family and carry on the family business/traditions....

The last really good film they did was Inside Out. Definitely feels like they are running out of ideas.

Last edited:
Tried watching A Quiet Place 2, again. Still awful and utterly stupid. Not sure if it’s better or worse than the first. I’m thinking worse. How the **** does a deaf girl tippy toe round without making a sound - just because the movie ‘mutes’ the sound for the viewer when she’s prancing about doesn’t mean it’s muted for the super hearing monsters. And don’t get me started on the baby in the box. I know the viewer is supposed to suspend belief to a certain degree when watching a film but the deaf kid and baby both being able to be super duper quiet is daft. Reminds me on Birdbox - sure we’ll just blindfold ourselves and paddle a canoe down a river - **** off. Could have been good films but just too much stupid in both.

Stupid/10

Elemental

4/10

What a load of rehashed garbage.

Forbidden young love/Romeo and Juliet etc, girl who doesn't want to stay put and do the family business and just has to pursue greatness, bit of immigration/prejudice stuff thrown in too.

Disney really, really hates the idea of a woman staying to live near her family and carry on the family business/traditions....

The last really good film they did was Inside Out. Definitely feels like they are running out of ideas.
Disney are creatively bankrupt these days.

Too busy pushing identity politics.

Last edited:
Equaliser 3 - 6/10 - More the same from Denzel which is both it's best aspect but also it's worst. I enjoyed most of the film, and it allowed about 2/3's of the film to be used for plot, character building etc rather than being a shoot 'em up from the get go and thought worked really well and was a smart decision. However the choice of "enemy" was very much a played out trope for me, no matter how much they tried to sprinkle some "War on Terror" vibes into it, and the cinematically over-blown nature of the new enemy is massively at odds with reality i.e. if the enemy was "real" they'd have been in jail from day one for being far too "obvious" I would think.

The side-plot with Dakota Fanning was a little wasted I found, as her "twist" was obvious from within the first few minutes of meeting her I found but it worked as a call-back to their earlier film together (Man on Fire) I suppose and, despite not being in many big films recently, I still think she's a good actor, even if this role was quite limited TBF.

Overall it was a good film with a few issues which didn't really take much away from my enjoyment. One odd thing though, the lighting/cinematography at times was a mix of of "wow thats amazing" (Denzel in candle light) to "are they trying to say something?" with Denzel hard edge-lit in ac circle of bright white light, almost like an angel.

Back
Top Bottom