What film did you watch last night?

Pain Hustlers

6/10. Kind of ok, but nothing special.

What has Emily blunt done to her face? Looks like she's gone a bit OTT with the cheek filler or something. Seems to have aged her dramatically which I imagine was the opposite of what she was trying to achieve..

Last edited:
The Creator - 7/10
Watched this last week and want to give it an 8, but I can't justify it as ultimately the story is just a bit shallow and has a couple of annoying bits and the tone like a lot of modern films seemed inconsistent (couple of bits where they go for the funny).

Could have been more consistent with the size of NOMAD, or indeed whether it was in space or not as earlier on it was depicted as swooshing along over the sea

Had a video game feel to it in the style of Crysis/Fallout/Half Life and some nice ideas around the sci-fi aspect of it though.

Remains of the Day - 8/10
Really enjoyed this and ultimately a film about regret I guess of life choices and realising too late about taking the wrong path and passing up on true happiness.

Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad (2010)

BBC adaptation of the MR James novel. Not the first time, BBC originally made a film of the same short story in 1968.

Stars John Hurt who as you can imagine, is brilliant. I still prefer the '68 version. Nonetheless, the hotel scenes in this remake are particularly good for spookiness! Curious to know which hotel this film was based in!

Bumped into John Hurt at Liverpool St Station a few years back (not literally) just quite a surprise when you meet someone you've admired throughout the years!

Lake Placid (1999) - 7/10

You know what? It's a (mostly) decent cast with a script where half of it really does work and the other half is over quick enough that it doesn't annoy you too much. Plus some great work by Stan Winston's outfit to realise the crocodile. And any film that Roger Ebert would call "completely wrong-headed from beginning to end" is worth a re-watch :cool:

Highlights:

Any time Oliver Platt is on-screen. Betty White swearing. Brendan Gleeson's snark-to-snark combat with everyone else.

Boondock Saints

It has something like 25% critic versus 90% audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes so I thought it should be good.

I think I agree with the critic scores this time. It starts off mildly amusing and is entertaining in places but gets stupid and stupider.

Last edited:
Saw X, was OK and some quite gruesome traps - ending was dragged out, but as this was set early in the Saw series, i guess this is why John wasn't as good as he became? A lot was left to chance when normally everything is planned in meticulous detail.

And Cecilia, what a bitch! I don't think it's the last we'll see of her.

I said to the wife at the end, "what about the black dude?" and then the after credit came on :)

Last edited:
Saw X - Utter CRA... 3/10

The ideas behind specific deaths were clever, but the actors NO. I'm sorry you would not just be cutting into your leg or cutting your arm off like it was bread and then just moving onto the next one. Also that women going YOU CAN DO IT, GO ON, JUST DO IT :rolleyes:

Yes, that particular trap and actor was pretty bad, also the brain cutting bit - no way! You'd have passed out, gone into shock etc.

The leg saw was the best :)

Last edited:
I watched my new Blues Brothers 4K bluray.

Still one of my favourite films. To the point that I've done more than double dip it. VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, Bluray, 4k digital and 4k Bluray.

They have spent some time getting this release right. New 4k master from the camera negatives, carefully treated. Some varying quality in places, but that's present on the 35mm projected versions I've seen. Oooh the lovely film grain, not DNR'd to death. Oddly, the 4k version on Amazon Prime is HDR10+ and the 4k Bluray is only HDR10. May have to do a back to back to see if there's any differences. ;)

The audio track however is the best version I've ever heard. It's not the most active in the rear channels, you get the odd effect, but the quality of it is just about perfect.

Disc also contains the extended version of the film. Has a few good additional scenes, but mostly not needed. Not watched the 4k version yet. I went theatrical.

Yes, that particular trap and actor was pretty bad, also the brain cutting bit - now way! You'd have passed out, gone into shock etc.

The leg saw was the best :)

The face burning one for me made me cringe, as I had third degree burns on my wrist some years back ( Kettle ), so I felt the pain in a way.

But yes you'd certainly pass out or throw up

Just looked at the date. Well, I know what I'm watching tonight. :D

TPkNgR0.gif

Last edited:
John Wick 4. Just ridiculous with the overlong fights and batfink blazers. You could cut at least an hour and have a far better viewing experience. The first John Wick was vaguely plausible, but with each subsequent movie have become ridiculous, I mean a blind assassin, wtf, 4/10.

Insidious - the Red Door.

It was OK. Need a good horror - wifey loves them but all we seem to see recently is American cheese jump scare crap.

This was terrible - the characters and actors were all ok (I did actually quite like the university sections) but it’s generally a rehash of the earlier films and pushes nothing forward… with the leading premise being that the main characters have, via hypnosis, forgotten the events of the previous films :confused: ridiculous!

Worst film of the year for me.

what film is that ? something related to guy fawkes ?

V for Vendetta.

Last edited:
The Place Beyond the Pines

I was avoiding Ryan Gosling films as he seemed to be in everything when this came out, but he was excellent in this.

There were a lot of great things in this film and it could have been a modern classic, but the second half of the film didn't quite hit with me.

7/10

Back
Top Bottom