What film did you watch last night?

The Marvels (2023) - 5/10

A bit of a mess of a movie where you need lots of prior knowledge of the characters and setting to fully enjoy it.

The humour comes across as awkward rather than quirky and the jumpy editing, multiple settings and jumbled delivery makes it confusing rather than engaging.

The interaction between the 3 heroes is kind of fun, there’s plenty of action scenes and an inspired scene with lots of cats, but not really any thrills or suspense due to a weak villain and the overpowered nature of the characters.

Event Horizon - 8.5/10

Still think this is a supremely underrated film. Great cast and a real tense horror. I wonder if it suffered from poor marketing and trying to sell it as some thing it wasn't. I always think the starting and end music doesn't fit the tone of the film at all like they wanted it to be an action flick.

Dumb Money, The Big Short for the Gen z in the audience, i quite enjoyed this, told the story of the whole r/wallstreetbets, Gamestop shenanigans reasonably well, without going into to much depth to lose those who might not know to much about the stock market. I'd rather they had but it is clear the film is going for the light touch approach. Hopefully we may see a more involved film in the future.
The music score however was shockingly bad!

Last edited:
Event Horizon - 8.5/10

Still think this is a supremely underrated film. Great cast and a real tense horror. I wonder if it suffered from poor marketing and trying to sell it as some thing it wasn't. I always think the starting and end music doesn't fit the tone of the film at all like they wanted it to be an action flick.
I remember going to see this at the cinema with a friend, expecting a straight sci-fi film. What we got was hellraiser in space :p Great stuff.

Oppenheimer 5/10

Meh. This film was way overhyped. 3 hours was so unnecessary it should have been a max of 2 hours. I also don't get why they decided to constantly jump around back and forth through the timelines a bad editing idea. It just added confusion to the story they were trying to tell. The last hour was quite a bore and really dragged on. I did enjoy the science aspects, recruiting a team and bomb making aspects so the film started well but overall I was bored by the end. They should have taken more note of the similar story 'The Imitation Game' to learn how to do a film like this justice. Pitty.
Was the Cinema full :p

A bit ahead of myself here but I’m really looking forward to watching the new Terminator movie tonight on channel 4 with Linda Hamilton back. I’ve never seen the ”other ones” after T1 and T2.

Back
Top Bottom