What film did you watch last night?

Control https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421082/

Depicts the events of the early days of Warsaw/Joy Division, with a particular focus on the emotional troubles of Ian Curtis.
Very good, but sad.

There's also a documentary on YT (Rock Family Trees) called 'And God Created Manchester', which is well-worth seeing if you like that sort of thing.

A bit of a late edit, but I should also mention that Tony Kebbell, played Rob Gretton so very well. Tony Kebbell was in Dead Man's shoes, another film well-worth checking out.

Last edited:
Nandor Fodor and the Talking Mongoose 4/10

Started watching it because it is Simon Pegg and had no idea if was based off true story. I think it wasn't sure what it was trying to be as it has some funny bits but some dull bits and tried to be serious maybe. The accents are honestly weird its not quite Dr Dolittle but close. If you have nothing better to watch then maybe.

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Tom Cruise and sci-fi… all of his films in this genre are pretty good IMO, or are at least unique and memorable. Typically slick and well polished too.

I hadn’t seen this since release and it ticked all of the above boxes. It’s an impressive looking film for sure, with lots of busy action. The main gimmick of him repeating the same day is great and they do quite a bit with it.

It never loses bombast but the very final sections feel more generic…

… when he loses the power to repeat the same day the stakes are raised but at the same time it all becomes a bit vanilla.

Bonus shout out for one of the most inappropriate and jarring music choices ever for the end credits crawl: John Newman - Love Me Again. Uh..?!

A good popcorn watch - 7/10
Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow felt flat to me, just big budget rehashes of Duncan Jones' Moon and Source Code ideas. Pity that when Duncan got a budget the quality of movies went downhill.

Oh dear. Only made it to the first 2 hours so not sure I can score it as that's an hour missed.
Great actor and director (Midsommar is genius imo) but this all felt a bit depressing and repetitive. There are some great dream-like scenes on offer but it was all too taxing for this viewer.
Be interested to hear if anyone else rates it? On what I saw it's a 4/10.

PEtKFVK.png
I'd go along with your review and I watched the whole thing.

Control https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421082/

Depicts the events of the early days of Warsaw/Joy Division, with a particular focus on the emotional troubles of Ian Curtis.
Very good, but sad.

There's also a documentary on YT (Rock Family Trees) called 'And God Created Manchester', which is well-worth seeing if you like that sort of thing.
Excellent film, I remember being the only person in the cinema when that came out. No one wanted to go, so I dragged my Dad along and he promptly fell asleep for the entire thing.

I’m biased as I’m a huge JD fan, but it really is great.

Last edited:
The Hunt for Red October (1990) - 7.5/10

Been rewatching a fair few 90s films lately and this one was one of the best I've seen so far. Still holds up really well, amazingly well cast and I'm always impressed by what they managed to achieve before they really had any CGI.

Very quotable as well.. "Be careful what you shoot at... Most things in here don't react too well to bullets." always sticks in my mind along with the classic "Give Me a Ping, Vasily. One Ping Only, Please." (I know you read them in his voice ;))

Be interested to hear if anyone else rates it? On what I saw it's a 4/10.

PEtKFVK.png
The first 40 minutes were fantastic, it was all down hill after that. It descended into an overly long art-house film where all the parts felt loosely strung together. It labored each of the parts to exhaustion till they became obnoxious.

3/10
Like Beau, for me, this was an arduous journey that I had to force myself to finish.

Last edited:
The first 40 minutes were fantastic, it was all hill after that. It descended into an overly long art-house film where all the parts felt loosely strung together. It labored each of the parts to exhaustion till they became obnoxious.

3/10
Like Beau, for me, this was an arduous journey that I had to force myself to finish.
We started this and desperately wanted to like it. We ended up admitting defeat about half way through. Way too long and arduous. Shame :(

Not surprise by some of these views on BIA, it’s easily one of the most (if not the most) challenging, unpleasant and demanding films I’ve seen.

Even though I loved it, ‘arduous’ is the perfect description. It’s really not something I’d willingly ‘recommend’ to most. But boy did it sock me in the feels gland, hurrrrghn.

Not surprise by some of these views on BIA, it’s easily one of the most (if not the most) challenging, unpleasant and demanding films I’ve seen.

Even though I loved it, ‘arduous’ is the perfect description. It’s really not something I’d willingly ‘recommend’ to most. But boy did it sock me in the feels gland, hurrrrghn.
Similar vain to We Need To Talk About Kevin? Fantastic film but I’ve no interest in ever seeing it again.

Similar vain to We Need To Talk About Kevin? Fantastic film but I’ve no interest in ever seeing it again.

Possibly - I haven’t seen that one, I’ll have to check it out. I can’t say that I’m racing to watch BIA again…

I’ll put this in spoilers in case you want to go in completely blind, but for anyone curious the general gist of the film is as follows (ultra light spoilers in respect of themes only):

Beau is afraid. He lives his life meaning well but everyone is out to get him. Pretty much everything that could possibly go wrong for him, goes wrong. Is he oppressed, or is it his fault…?

This is played half seriously and half for laughs. The joke is partly that the circumstances are absurd and also that it’s so miserable that it cannot be possible. But at the same time, it’s really not funny for Beau etc. and it’s impossible to not sorry for him. There are long stretches where it isn’t funny at all.

Oh and expect to end the film feeling extremely confused… probably not knowing what to make of it.

Unlike Hereditary and Midsommar, this is very much an ‘art’ film and will be very divisive.

Even though there are some very funny moments, it’s generally more ‘type 2’ entertainment than ‘type 1’ (google that if you’re not familiar with the terms).

Last edited:
Possibly - I haven’t seen that one, I’ll have to check it out. I can’t say that I’m racing to watch BIA again…

I’ll put this in spoilers in case you want to go in completely blind, but for anyone curious the general gist of the film is as follows (ultra light spoilers in respect of themes only):

Beau is afraid. He lives his life meaning well but everyone is out to get him. Pretty much everything that could possibly go wrong for him, goes wrong. Is he oppressed, or is it his fault…?

This is played half seriously and half for laughs. The joke is partly that the circumstances are absurd and also that it’s so miserable that it cannot be possible. But at the same time, it’s really not funny for Beau etc. and it’s impossible to not sorry for him. There are long stretches where it isn’t funny at all.

Oh and expect to end the film feeling extremely confused… probably not knowing what to make of it.

Unlike Hereditary and Midsommar, this is very much an ‘art’ film and will be very divisive.

Even though there are some very funny moments, it’s generally more ‘type 2’ entertainment than ‘type 1’ (google that if you’re not familiar with the terms).
Same for Kevin:

Sounds superficially similar, but with a common theme of the film being about a victim, though there is no humour in WNtTAK, just the relentless abuse of someone gas lighting their mother and then ending with the rest of her family getting shot by him

We will probably give it another go sometime. It's the sort of quirky film I usually like. It's sure hard work to watch though.

The Hunt for Red October (1990) - 7.5/10

Been rewatching a fair few 90s films lately and this one was one of the best I've seen so far. Still holds up really well, amazingly well cast and I'm always impressed by what they managed to achieve before they really had any CGI.

Very quotable as well.. "Be careful what you shoot at... Most things in here don't react too well to bullets." always sticks in my mind along with the classic "Give Me a Ping, Vasily. One Ping Only, Please." (I know you read them in his voice ;))
Rewatched this myself - i was in awe of this movie when it first came out. What ****** me off was Sam Neil's deaths - after all they went through - there was no need for it :(

The Killer, Michael Fassbender. Has some promising moments, but overall found it a bit light on plot. Disappointing.
Watched it tonight, would probably give it 7.5/10

Considering how much voice over there was, I don't think we learned much about Fassbenders character so that's probably it's biggest flaw. It's a bit like a cerebral version of John Wick, with barely any killing.

It seemed quite 'realistic' until a fight just over halfway through, which went all Hollywood.

The scene with Tilda Swinton was probably the best bit.

Last edited:
Watched it tonight, would probably give it 7.5/10

Considering how much voice over there was, I don't think we learned much about Fassbenders character so that's probably it's biggest flaw. It's a bit like a cerebral version of John Wick, with barely any killing.

It seemed quite 'realistic' until a fight just over halfway through, which went all Hollywood.

The scene with Tilda Swinton was probably the best bit.
It started really well, but seemed to lose it's way.

Back
Top Bottom