What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The creator 6.9/10
Visually fantastic sci-fi from director Gareth Edwards. Story and characters could have done with some more meat though. Decent watch.

Note that the budget was 80m. Wondering how this film can look so good on that budget when compared to recent Disney stuff like the Marvels, which cost an eye watering 300m to look like ass :p

Man of Honour
The creator 6.9/10
Visually fantastic sci-fi from director Gareth Edwards. Story and characters could have done with some more meat though. Decent watch.

Note that the budget was 80m. Wondering how this film can look so good on that budget when compared to recent Disney stuff like the Marvels, which cost an eye watering 300m to look like ass :p

Huh - I thought The Marvels looked pretty amazing, really ‘popped’ - did you see it? Still a 6.5/10 film though.

The overwhelming consensus on the Creator seems to be that it’s OK but really derivative, which puts me off tbh.

Soldato
Huh - I thought The Marvels looked pretty amazing, really ‘popped’ - did you see it? Still a 6.5/10 film though.

The overwhelming consensus on the Creator seems to be that it’s OK but really derivative, which puts me off tbh.
Only seen the trailers for the marvels, I won't put myself through the whole film :p

But the CGI looks proper shonky to me. Looks like it's been drawn on by a 12 year old with a box of crayons. Maybe just the look they are going for :p

The creator is a little derivative, but still enjoyable if you like sci-fi.

Last edited:
Soldato
@tangey I don't think the general plot was in question (Your first paragraph) but...
I agree with the review, keeping the car just seemed stupid.

You say he blew the whistle, but he didn't. He called 911 and we clearly saw he didn't speak to the operator... why? Even the hesitation. Why?

The dream? "There's a scene with Del Toro at a therapists office as required after a shooting and he talks of a dream. Then later he has a dream or does he? It would seem that the dream which is very plot specific reveals the killer out right and no point do we get any indication that his realization of who the killer is wasn't a real occurrence rather than the dream it is presented as. But so many questions abound."
I agree with the review, this was a bit weird.

JT's identical new g/f? The discussion in the restaurant?

To me it felt like 30 minutes had been cut out from the movie...

Man of Honour
Only seen the trailers for the marvels, I won't put myself through the whole film :p

But the CGI looks proper shonky to me. Looks like it's been drawn on by a 12 year old with a box of crayons. Maybe just the look they are going for :p

The creator is a little derivative, but still enjoyable if you like sci-fi.

I genuinely whispered to my partner in the cinema something along the lines of “wow this looks amazing!!!” so, hand on heart, that really was my impression quite early into the film. It’s possible that the cinema screen itself helped out a bit of course.

I think the consensus in the other thread (from people who have seen it) is that it’s ‘fun / OK’, you could probably do a lot worse. In that regard, maybe the Creator and the Marvels are quite alike to most. But yeah if you really think you’ll hate it then stay clear, no point forcing yourself.

Soldato
I genuinely whispered to my partner in the cinema something along the lines of “wow this looks amazing!!!” so, hand on heart, that really was my impression quite early into the film. It’s possible that the cinema screen itself helped out a bit of course.

I think the consensus in the other thread (from people who have seen it) is that it’s ‘fun / OK’, you could probably do a lot worse. In that regard, maybe the Creator and the Marvels are quite alike to most. But yeah if you really think you’ll hate it then stay clear, no point forcing yourself.
I just don't think any of the marvel stuff has been any good since end game.

The Marvels just looks too silly and slapstick for my liking.

Soldato
Watched it tonight, would probably give it 7.5/10

Considering how much voice over there was, I don't think we learned much about Fassbenders character so that's probably it's biggest flaw. It's a bit like a cerebral version of John Wick, with barely any killing.

It seemed quite 'realistic' until a fight just over halfway through, which went all Hollywood.

The scene with Tilda Swinton was probably the best bit.
Meh, her entire scene was based on 1 joke which was done better in The Crown

Last edited:
Soldato
Boiling Point - 8/10

An intense borderline chaotic movie depicting a head chefs slow motion breakdown during a high end restaurants busiest day of the year. Stephen Graham as always is a delight to watch, delivers a layered emotional performance and his supporting cast at are fairly solid as well.

Shot as a single take (whether it genuinely is a oner or not is irrelevant), it's wonderfully voyeuristic and not much ease up in the tension throughout, I felt like I had to consciously remember to breath by the end.

This is a movie I can see myself revisiting over and over.

Soldato
After watching All Quiet... again last week, seemed sensible to give 1917 another watch. Can't call it, both a 10/10 from me.

IptIJXu.jpg

Permabanned
Reptile - 7/10
As many others have said, it was very good, but so many loose threads that didn't get answered?! I went to IMDb to see if I missed something, but no, there are lots of reviews saying the same. Maybe this review covers the most. (Spoilers of course)
Wicked film, I think you're missing the point this is simply one of those 'leave you wanting more/wondering' films. That's the whole point.
I don't think the ending is at all vague either. Very good for a netflix funded filmed, both JT and BCT are awesome, as is the rest of the cast, don't get me wrong it's not perfect and there are some weak points but it's a solid 7/10 or a 6/10 if you're on the anal IMDB scale picky...
There's loads I could say about this, but I think simply put it is shot/casted/written so well, and the less is more factor is awesome, reminds me of how involved/committed I felt to 'Passengers' and True Detective Season 1...
Heat lite - even to the point of virtually parodying Hanna and Mccauleys finale moment.

I still quite enjoyed it and have watched it a couple of times.
To me it felt likee a modern version of HEAT, HEAT is unquestionably a 12/10 PERFECT film in every way without even needing justify, no-one will debate this, but this a a strong 6.5/7/10 'lite' version anyone can enjoy, no?

I personally don't get at all the dig's at Cube's son, not only did he carry this VERY well and can CLEARLY act/this is the first time he's done something WAY above his comfort zone/pay grade vs 'what people think he's capable of', and by the real ending you realise this...

But no one, no matter what they claim before watching it see what was coming at the end with him, it's easy to claim you did afterwards, but that's flat out lying - (not saying you did yourself but I've seen so much utter BS with people saying he's the weak link - yet they never sussed what was really going on! irony much!?)

I think this is a solid very rewatchable film, I like everything about it from the casting, pace, how it's shot, as with HEAT it has a very thorough believable bite to it and it's realism, I genuinely don't think anything ever has come close to this without a typical cash in/paid off we'll use him and him to make this good type buy in...

This was a random film without 2 rival'ed dons like Pacino/DeNiro and yet has the same power, if anything, that's why it does. Because it isn't trying to be them/emulate, it's just equally as well done in every aspect.

It isn't going to set the world on fire/blow you away in terms of wow, but yet it kinda does, just like 'The Town' is wicked and has the same elements/oooo factor in places of plotline. Both deserve credit.
Reminds me of how good 'COPLAND' is now if you watch it, yet if you look up reviews it was a 'flop' which makes me wonder WTF was going on with reviewers/critics/hollywood at the time, as just from the cast alone, HOW can COPLAND be rubbish, it's literally not possible, then pair it with the plot/twists etc, just amazing. However now I read all this nonsense about people suddenly realising this, as if it was fashionable to hate it/people told to wash their hands of it, who knows maybe 'at the time' there was another film critics were paid to back more? Who know's? Anyway TLDR I feel that applies to Den Of Thieves.

I think anyone should rewatch DOT and then you'll have a very subtle nod/respect for it, it's very easy to just palm it off after all is explained, but no-one who's watched it see's what's coming regardless of the HEAT references, as they in reality do not palm out the same without spoilering anything, so I think it deserves it's own respect in terms of plot/writing/casting. The intro's thoroughness along with 'that scene' in the daytime, definitely have HEAT inspired goodness, NO-ONE is going to beat 'that' level of realism that Micheal Mann achieved with atmosphere/sound/firearms, but they definitely get their own props in their own way/style.
I respect that, I in no way think this film is trying to copycat/beat/replicate HEAT, I just think it's got similiar nods to it whilst being it's own thing, as after all, when we watched HEAT, NOTHING compared to it, did it? Yet we FELT something? Know what I mean? It felt real/relatable even though that's laughable when you think about it, how would/could we relate/know jack about that vs realism, but it FEELS real doesn't it?

This has those moments as it's own thing imho, as does COPLAND. I'll give anyone respect for whatever their attempt is to give me those kind of thoughts, regardless of the genre, I think if something makes you feel something, whatever it may be and invokes thought, then they're doing very well, especially if you end up analysising it, over-thinking?

Anyway on topic, just rewatched "The Jacket", I don't even want to spoiler the amount of wicked cameos, but simply put... If you love Twelve Monkeys/head messery type stuff, definitely watch this! This definitely has some of the surprising cast choice wise's best acting in. Just wow, even the 2nd time it still packs a hell of a punch, I remember watching Twelve Monkeys when it came out and this has that in spades in the same exact way, I wish I could say more but I don't want to spoil anything, TLDR you know how 'Passengers' is amazing as it has that True Detective Season 1 vibe and vice versa, this is that with Twelve Monkeys, do yourself a favour and just watch it, don't read reviews or watch a trailer, just be blown away. Trust me.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Goldeneye - 1995

Great James Bond movie, one if the best. Still holds up well today although the scene with the mig crashing into the satellite dish looks horrendous.

Scary as saw this in the cinema and is heading towards being 30 years old.

8/10
My old man literally helped build those Tiger helicopters. I had as a kid stupid amounts of documentation/posters/schematics/stickers/you name it about them, then years later I goto the cinema and it's in arguably the best bond film ever, mind blown!

"Boy's with toys!"

Last edited:
Soldato
@keef247 had a few shandies last night? ;) Quite the post though, I wasn't knocking Den of Thieves, it was solid enough, love both The Town and Copland also.

I don't mind ice cubes son, been decent in most i've seen him in and was more ice cube than ice cube in Straight Outta Compton.

Last edited:
Permabanned
@keef247 had a few shandies last night? ;) Quite the post though, I wasn't knocking Den of Thieves, it was solid enough, love both The Town and Copland also.

I don't mind ice cubes son, been decent in most i've seen him in and was more ice cube than ice cube in Straight Outta Compton.
Haha, I'm rather pationate about my films mate ;) I just think it was that good. I like how DOT isn't trying to be anything but it feels so much like HEAT and gives you the same feelings towards it, that's like the best compliament for any film to naturally give you that kind of a feel for it naturally? Know what I mean?

Yeah I think he's insanely good in SOC, and I think in DOT when you rewatch it and spot all the things he's been doing all along and how slyly that all flowed, makes his character very clever/believable imho.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom