What film did you watch last night?

Associate
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes (2023) - 8/10

More of a political thriller than an action adventure, the story follows the creator of the new Hunger Games in three distinct parts.

Good use of imagery and foreshadowing as it reuses the main themes from the original stories but with a fresh view.

The story is good if a bit simplified and obvious at times, but it was enjoyable throughout due to the great acting from the main cast, the cracking country ballads and the use of contrast from the grand to the dilapidated in the scenery and settings.

The Games themselves weren’t as shocking or thrilling as they could have been, but were still entertaining to watch and the run-down nature of the arena fitted well within the post-war recovery setting.

Soldato
Thanksgiving - a good 6.5/10

An entertaining, but flawed, slasher flick that's by the numbers and doesn't bring anything new to the table but if you like this type of film it's good enough to watch.

Though I did think the kills were a little bit tame to what I was expecting from some of the reviews.

Associate
Night Hunter - 6/10

There's a good film in here. Had me intrigued throughout but the plot is a little messy in places and Henry Cavill just felt out of place with the casting.

Felt like a bootleg Taylor Sheridan film.

img

img

Associate
Renfield - wanted to enjoy it. Thought it would be funny. It just didnt work, i have no idea how it was so long when it seemed like othing happened. 5/10

Soldato
Edge of tomorrow - Since reading the inspiration for the film ('All you need is kill' ) I re-watched this with a different perspective, obviously there's a lot of differences but the film is still a good watch, some really good cgi too

The Creator - It was okay, enjoyable stuff ,some nice visuals etc but never got the emotions going. The AI against humanity stuff made me think of Bicentennial Man starring Robin Williams, which was panned by critics but played on the old heart strings more than The Creator and to be honest I'd watched again before ever re-watching the creator.

Last edited:
Soldato
Siege of Jatodville 8/10

Bit slow to start, but I was hooked and didn't even know this happened in our history! :eek:

Yea it's a really good underrated movie that one.

However...... the scene with the bren gun snipe is complete ********, they were not known for their accuracy, and the thing is shown to be missing the front sight. Some of them are shown to have Lee Enfields, which use the same .303 round and are far more accurate, and purposed for single accurate shots like that.

Soldato
Gran Turismo - 6/10

I knew nothing of the GT Acadamy, so an interesting story, although by other accounts, a lot of it is made up. It's slightly cheesy and predictable, but enjoyable enough. Various parts are CGI (like his big crash, I've seen that before but didn't know he was originally a sim racer) but not really noticeable.

Associate
Blade Runner - Final Cut: 9/10

Brilliant film that defined a genre. I watched it with my daughter who was blown away by it (first time she has seen it) and was shocked by the influence its had on so many things since.

The final cut doesn't add too much over other versions (Theatrical version aside), it's just polishes things up.

Last edited:
Soldato
the killer - 5/10 - realy boring
spin me round - 8/10 - really like this, I can highly recommend
winnie the pooh blood and honey - 0/10 - excriatingly bad. not even good in a bad way

Associate
Full Metal Jacket

Excellent film that is gripping from start to finish. I remembered the general structure but not the detail of what happened. The synth drones work really well for some powerful scenes. I feel like it could have had a third act to go even deeper into the war.

8/10
Cinema masterpiece. Rarely see a movie splice 3 acts with a such unique tone to them, last modern film I can recall was Cold In July.

Soldato
Reptile 6.5/10

Slow burn detective story with slightly confused narrative at times. Kept us watching though. Benicio del Toro decent in the lead role.

Not quite sure why it was called reptile though, other than the snake skin at the beginning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom