What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Napoleon. Rubbish. A one dimensional parody that isn't funny enough to be a parody. Boring, turgid and pointless. Lots of effort put into costumes and sets then ruined with
the dull grey the sun hasn't been invented yet aesthetic. All the actors were 20 years too old.

I can't wait for the 4 hour extended version.

Permabanned
The Iceman, seen it many times, outstanding. True story. Just watch it.
TLDR YES it isn't as acurate to the reality of the real guy, so what, yes he was a scumbag and a real twisted piece of work, if you've listened to the interviews blah blah blah, this isn't as acurate/real, but to watch it purely as a film, this is very good. That's enough for me, sorry not sorry.

Michael Shannon/Ray Liotta/Winona Ryder/Chris Evans - what's not to like? Even a cheeky cameo from Robert Davi! Shannon is a beast in this!
Chris Evans performance in this is truely unique and nothing you've ever seen him do, even to this day, he low key could be the best actor here, as Shannon etc are always great, Evans however doesn't to my knowledge usually do stuff like this - nor has since? If I'm wrong fair enough, but I've yet to be aware of him do it again?

This film deserves a way higher rating than it gets, but the hypercritical moan it's less acurate than the reality - hollywood/critics moaning, go figure :rolleyes:

Shannon looks the spit of Max Payne in this, not that this matters, but I wonder who else has made this comparison? :cry::D

If you like Shannon/Ray Liotta/Mob movies, just watch it, there's a surprisingly decent James Franco scene as well.
I love this movie because Shannon portrays his character so well, you genuinely feel he really means it in this, as with in Boardwalk Empire.

Also watched "The Drop" again, with Tom Hardy, Noomie Rapice, and James Gandolfini, IIRC the last film James did, that or Kill The Messenger, IIRC both filmed around the same time, there's something about this that doesn't even need explaining, they all play their parts so well, we all know James is god tier in anything he does, Tom Hardy from my experience never seems to make rubbish either/his hearts always in it/fully dedicated, again just give it a watch, don't hyper analyse it, just enjoy it for what it is, RIP big man.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Reptile. First film in a while I’ve not finished. Just found it a bit naff and maybe just not in the mood for it.
It has major True Dective/Prisoners vibes about it, granted it's not a 10/10 but 'for what it is' it's decent, BDT is very good in this, as is JT... It does fair enough fall down a bit in places, but I really liked what they 'tried' to do... Turns out, after watching it, looking on IMDB, someone else made the TD/P comparison too, so wasn't just me! We all agree season 1 of TD is perfection, and Prisoners is a phenominal movie. So I'm down for anything that gives off that sort of feeling in places that's not 'trying' to rip it off.

The detectives investigating, paired with for example the ex that seems very suspect, are perfectly cast and you take it as gospel, I'd say it's 3/4's a very good film, but I appreciate what they were trying to do and can tell it wasn't a name drop cash in.
I really liked the relationship between BDT and his wife as well, it seems so genuine their relationship, and the casting is fantastic, such a likeable couple, I appreciate the effort put in for a 'netflix' movie.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dark Knight Rises

Finally got round to watching this and found it disappointing. The first scene was good and also Anne Hathaway, but everything else just lacked any kind of excitement. There was a scene with
Marion Cotillard where I'm amazed they didn't do a retake - or maybe that was the best acting she could do.

On the whole I didn't really enjoy Nolan's Batman trilogy. Ledger was obviously great as Joker. When I first heard Nolan was directing Batman and it was going to be "darker" I erroneously thought that would mean gritty. But instead it was this grey, muted, depressing world. Also underused some great actors. Bale wasn't really stretched and Gary Oldman felt miscast to me - imagine him as a villain.

I still think the guy who created the Batman Dead End short film created a better atmosphere than Nolan.

5/10

Last edited:
Man of Honour
True Lies

Always a fun time this. Very glossy and expensive looking, balanced out nicely with the light hearted fun and humour. I doubt a comedy thriller will ever get this sort of money behind it again.

It’s not perfect, as some of the action scenes could have been trimmed to reduce the pretence hefty run time. The villain is also a pure disposable goofball and maybe a bit of time could have been taken to give him a bit more screen time. Or would that have upset the balance?

Regardless, it holds up well!

7.5/10

Last edited:
Don
Dark Knight Rises

Finally got round to watching this and found it disappointing. The first scene was good and also Anne Hathaway, but everything else just lacked any kind of excitement. There was a scene with
Marion Cotillard where I'm amazed they didn't do a retake - or maybe that was the best acting she could do.

On the whole I didn't really enjoy Nolan's Batman trilogy. Ledger was obviously great as Joker. When I first heard Nolan was directing Batman and it was going to be "darker" I erroneously thought that would mean gritty. But instead it was this grey, muted, depressing world. Also underused some great actors. Bale wasn't really stretched and Gary Oldman felt miscast to me - imagine him as a villain.

I still think the guy who created the Batman Dead End short film created a better atmosphere than Nolan.

5/10

:eek: I'm not sure what shocks me more, the score, or how long it took you to get round to watching a 11-year-old film :cry: - Still one of my faves, brilliant film.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Dark Knight Rises

5/10
There's also a fight scene on a roof where a stunt guy just falls over despite not getting hit and once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Soldato
I do think the dark Knight rises is the weakest of the Nolan batman trilogy, but it's still a fine film. Way way better than the superhero bilge we get sharted out these days. Try comparing it to the Marvels :p

The dark Knight 8/10
Batman begins 7.5/10
The dark Knight rises 7/10

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom