What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Last Night In Soho - 7/10

Went into this with no knowledge of what I was watching. Thought it was going to be a cross between Mean Girls and Freaky Friday lol. Interesting film.

Soldato
Flight of the Navigator (1986)

Just watched with my 5 year old son, was about his age give or take when I used to watch it, he loved it. This movie is great, proper 80's classic.

9/10 - all day long.
I only realised the other day that Paul Reubens was the voice of Max. Fantastic film, always get a bit of a melancholic nostalgic feeling when viewing these 80s films now.

Associate
The Creator 7/10

Decent sci-fi, plot was wafer thin, and characters a bit one dimensional, but a well executed film with good action sequences and special effects.

Soldato
I just watched Dolemite Is My Name- very good fun and Eddie Murphy is good in the lead.

I first encountered tired Dolemite as a voice pack for Unreal Tournament, back in 2000 or so. He is very sweary.

Soldato
Dressed To Kill (1980) - 5/10

Looking at IMDB user reviewers people go bonkers over this filming thinking it's some sort of of cinematic art that should be treasured and preserved for all time and to that I say those people are as pretentions as this film. Firstly there's not way this film would get made today, if it did Brian DePalma would get a name change to Brian DeCancelled but that's not why I dislike this movie. The story is a mess and fills like 2 or 3 people filmed it and someone at the studio stitched it together to make something resembling a film. The first act whilst well acted felt like a waste of time with far to much setup coupled with pretentious cinematography that gave some setup for future events but ultimately led to know where. The films really nose dives in terms of quality when they get to the elevators scene, it's meant to be a tribute to Hitchcock but comes off as a cheesy parody. After this the directing doesn't get much better, the chase scene is laughable and clumsy with a heavy use of stereotypes and clichés.

If I could have watched this in 1980 on release I may have felt a bit different about this picture but in 2023 it's aged like fine milk and comes across as pretentious hockey nonsense. The tag of erotic thriller doesn't accurately describe this movie as it's either one or the other and struggles to blend both genres, it's like DePalma started off by making an erotic movie about a frustrated wife but then got board and decided this film would be a thriller instead. It's not all bad, Angie Dickinson is good and gives a memorable performance during the 1st act and Michael Cane's presence does help uplift the film in places where the writing is soft.

If you fancy an 80's crime flick that's stylish, well written, directed and acted go and watch Manhunter

Last edited:
Man of Honour
horror film... ive had scarier dumps.

Everyone is sensitive to different things, but I think most people would find that the themes of The Sixth Sense to sit well within the realms of ‘horror’.

It’s an interesting point to raise: does a horror film need to be frightening to the audience? Not really, IMO, it just needs to have elements of horror / terror within the presentation.

But I do personally feel they there are many moments in The Sixth Sense that are disturbing / creepy.

Caporegime
The new Hunger Games movie…..when i came out of the cinema i thought it was so-so, but the more i thought about it, the more i dislike it.

There are 3 chapters in the film, the first 2 was good i guess, but the 3rd one it seems to take a hard left turn for the main character which up to that point, I didn’t think warranted…a little like how Khaleesi in Game of Thrones sort of way. Almost felt like they need to set up the next movie or something….

Don’t bother, rewatch the JL one if you want to watch The Hunger Games.

Reactions: Kyo
Caporegime
Barbie (rented from YouTube)

I loved it. It's clever, funny, completely commits to the utter absurdity of its premise, and trusts in the intelligence of its audience. Really good satire is so rare, and this just nails it from start to finish. More than once we had to stop and rewind because we were laughing so much from one joke that we missed the next. One wonders how, on Earth, they got Mattel to sign off on this? And, no doubt, it'll spawn a rash of bad movies made by people who have completely failed to grasp what made this one good.

A rare satirical masterpiece 10/10

Man of Honour
Barbie (rented from YouTube)

I loved it. It's clever, funny, completely commits to the utter absurdity of its premise, and trusts in the intelligence of its audience. Really good satire is so rare, and this just nails it from start to finish. More than once we had to stop and rewind because we were laughing so much from one joke that we missed the next. One wonders how, on Earth, they got Mattel to sign off on this? And, no doubt, it'll spawn a rash of bad movies made by people who have completely failed to grasp what made this one good.

A rare satirical masterpiece 10/10

I’m looking forward to rewatching it!

My only criticism (and it’s more of a nitpick) was that I found myself slightly distracted when some of its themes went that little bit harder in the final 1/3rd of the film - but I totally agree that the satire is right up there, pretty much on par with the very best of South Park.

Even outside of the satire, the absurdist, silly gags were hilarious - the ‘Kens are building a wall’ bit had me giggling for hours afterwards :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I personally wouldn't call Sixth Sense a horror.

It is entirely subjective but:

The film has:

- a child with the back of his head missing
- close up shots of slit wrists
- various other images of injuries / death (burned people, people being hung including a child)
- a child being poisoned to death
- the lead child being scared out of his mind and hiding in a tent hoping ghosts will go away
- the same child being physically attacked and cut by a ghost
- other general disturbing speech relating to terrified characters being afraid of the dark and seeing ghosts
- a handful of jump scares

You could argue that it’s more of a ‘chiller’ but I think ‘chiller’ is more of a sub-genre of ‘horror’, personally.

For what it’s worth I’d say that The Others is more of a ‘chiller’ but the additional gore and implied violence of The Sixth Sense pushes it out of that category, for me at least.

Back
Top Bottom