What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Whiplash 8/10

One that's been on my 'I really should watch this at some point' list for too long. I'm not sure I buy the central concept of the film (that only pain and torment can lead to genius) but the lead pair were both great and it was very well made.
Try 'Sound of Metal' as a double feature. More drumming.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Beekeeper - your classic Jason Stratham movie. It's a winning formula if you like his type of movies. It was cheesy but was surprised how good it was. The equaliser but less subtle. First time I watched a Screen X showing which was interesting. 7/10.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Equilibrium (2002)

Low budget film that looks like it had no budget. Poor acting considering the cast. Action scenes that rip off The Matrix badly. To be honest I don't why I stuck it out until the end.

3/10

Associate
Lift - 2/10

Garbage heist movie. Typical Netflix burning money. Honestly should’ve known it’d be bad when I saw it was from Kevin Harts production company and was staring him; similar to the terrible movies from The Rock.

Soldato
Lift - 2/10
I hadn’t heard of this but saw him plugging it on Graham Norton. The clip they showed was abysmal, like totally embarrassing. I like the guy but he was clearly swayed by the Netflix chequebook. If that’s the best they could find then I’m surprised you gave it a 2!

Netflix at this point are clearly making “made for TV” movies and they obviously don’t care.

Last edited:
Associate
I hadn’t heard of this but saw him plugging it on Graham Norton. The clip they showed was abysmal, like totally embarrassing. I like the guy but he was clearly swayed by the Netflix chequebook. If that’s the best they could find then I’m surprised you gave it a 2!

Netflix at this point are clearly making “made for TV” movies and they obviously don’t care.
I felt bad for the film crew giving it a 1 - if I were to rate it purely on the movie, -24 :D

I honestly don't get how Netflix can have some 9-10/10 shows, but then they burn millions on utter garbage. Worse when the concept is decent but the production kills it.

Caporegime
Lift - 2/10

Garbage heist movie. Typical Netflix burning money. Honestly should’ve known it’d be bad when I saw it was from Kevin Harts production company and was staring him; similar to the terrible movies from The Rock.
100% agree, apart from the unnecessary dig at The Rock :p

I'll give it a 3/10. Cast looked good and was billed as a heist movie, plus Ursula corbero (Tokio in money heist).

Wasn't really a heist movie. CGI was bad. Story was barely a story. Everything happened too fast with no explanation.

I need to cancel Netflix fory own sanity! So many bad films, but the known directors and actors suck me in every time and most are barely 5/10 movies imo.

rp2000

Associate
A Thousand to One - A pretty bleak slice of life in Harlem in the 90s. A standout performance by Teyana Taylor but the rest of the cast was a it meh, it kind of sags in the middle, but picks up to a pretty moving ending.

7/10

Associate
Sleepaway Camp , classic early 80's horror
Also probably the first and only transgender slasher , was wondering if the final scene would be cut and it was.
probably couldnt get away with calling under age girls baldies now as well , definitely a film of its time.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Society of the Snow - 6.5/10

It's good from a story telling point of view, and had a tear in my eye about everything that happened, but was a bit boring, had to stop and start 3 times to actually finish watching it.

Soldato
Role Play - 3/10 - Kaley Cuoco stars as a suburban mum who is also an international assassin, and if that sounded dumb to read then trust me the film is even worse. This is the sort of guff which used to be "direct to VHS/DVD" back in the day but now its Amazon (in this case) or Netflix or some other streaming platform which is busy converting cash to nothing on films like this.

Cuoco can't shake that "TV actress" type of casting here and she is never once believable in her assassin role, although her stunt team needs a huge pay rise for doing so much for her. The rest of the main cast are "movie" actors (and somehow it shows vs a TV actor) but outside of a fantastic cameo near the start, most have almost nothing really decent to do and feel very 1 dimensional.

The humour is very poor, the CGI is very poor, you can see there's a very obvious lack of budget to actually do much after the location shoots they chose looked to take most of it, but some of the cinematography is OK, especially towards the ending. However in the end its just a very poor film made without any obvious desire to shine and I think its fully deserving the 17% critics rating on RT.

Last edited:
Associate
Tbh I thought the ending ruined it. The journey was great but it was such a contrived, obvious ending that it let the film down. I was expecting something with a bit more shock and it was so unbelievably unlikely that it cheapened what was untill then well written.
Just watched and really enjoyed overall, but I agree ending was worst bit. Probably should have ended in the coffee shop. The kaiser soze reveal wasn’t needed and felt wrong

Back
Top Bottom