What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Cure - 8/10.

A Japanese psychological crime (horror?) from 1997. Found the film really great at points, but thought some of it was a little naff in terms of the portrayal of the investigations themselves. I’m not sure what to make of the ambiguous ending. May need to rewatch it.

This is one of the few films I’d be interested in seeing a remake of.

Soldato
Decided to watch some 4k blurays instead of streaming

Matrix - - always good to watch now and again.
Akira - Stunning, always has the wow factor no matter how many times I've watched it. Each time some part click into place too, really need to actually read the manga.

Decided to watch some 4k blurays instead of streaming

Matrix - - always good to watch now and again.
Akira - Stunning, always has the wow factor no matter how many times I've watched it. Each time some part click into place too, really need to actually read the manga.
I've seen The Matrix 3 times and I just don't get the love for it.

I've tried to like it every time I've seen it but I just don't.

Man of Honour
Blown Away (1994)

Another film I've only seen once before on VHS and really couldn't remember a lot about it.

To be honest I wished I'd remembered how poor it was. The dialogue makes the actors sound incredibly cheesy and wooden. The style of the film feels very old fashioned, even by 90's standards and least said about the Irish accents the better.

Quite how Tommy Lee Jones had the gaul to criticise Jim Carey's performance as the Riddler a year later, after what he did in this film is baffling.

3/10 (one for each (You Who?) U2 song used in the film)

Soldato
Blown Away (1994)

Another film I've only seen once before on VHS and really couldn't remember a lot about it.

To be honest I wished I'd remembered how poor it was. The dialogue makes the actors sound incredibly cheesy and wooden. The style of the film feels very old fashioned, even by 90's standards and least said about the Irish accents the better.

Quite how Tommy Lee Jones had the gaul to criticise Jim Carey's performance as the Riddler a year later, after what he did in this film is baffling.

Yea i saw this a few days ago cuba gooding jr was in the class :cry:

Soldato
The Watchers

Wtf. Easily one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. From the opening voiceover to the last scene, everything is just all sorts of wrong.
To be fair, as soon as I heard the opening voiceover I should have run a mile…..’in the west of Ireland there’s a forest that doesn’t appear on any maps…’ - oh **** off.

Soldato
I've seen The Matrix 3 times and I just don't get the love for it.

I've tried to like it every time I've seen it but I just don't.
It appeals to a lot of my interests I guess, maybe influenced by a lot of similar stuff as the Wachowski brothers were during their youth. Manga, anime ( I think Ghost in the shell is mentioned as a partial influence ) , Martial arts, wire work in HK movies , technology , philosophy and so on, and of couse the classic hero tale.

Man of Honour
Some people hate this movie, it's in my top 10 for sure, what made it even better is when I first saw it, I knew nothing about it and thought it would be some dumb popcorn action movie, was most pleasantly surprised and have seen it at least half a dozen times now.
EXCELLENT music too, loved the soundtrack to Drive.

Associate
Just put The Batman on since it looked to be free on Prime Video. It doesn't seem to want to play any higher than HD though. It's advertised as being UHD HDR10+. Other UHD upscales fine.

Anyone else tried it?
Prime locked 4K UHD behind a pay wall linked to removing ads.

• Angry
Reactions: maj
Soldato
Blown Away (1994)

I saw this one in the cinema in Dublin as a 16 y old. The movie is completely ridiculous with the accents and the Guinness with no foam head being served in the bar!

The thing I remember most about it is a review in a magazine calling Lloyd Bridge's accent a bit "Diddley eye mush begorrah". That phrase has stuck with me ever since.

Man of Honour
True Lies (1994)

Although I was a massive Arnie fan back then, this one never quite did it for me at the time. As a consequence, I've probably only seen it twice before.

I still don't think it's one of his best films, but they don't make them like this nowadays and so it was a pleasant change from the most of the modern rubbish that's churned out now.

7/10

Soldato
Not last night but Thursday - was stuck in a hotel so viewing options were limited…..a quiet place 2 was on film 4 (I think)

Dear god it’s a bad film. I’ve seen it before and didn’t think much of it but to be fair I was only watching half heartedly that first time. Figured I’d watch it properly this time. Really wish I’d not bothered.
Maybe a 4/10 if I’m being generous.

I know movies can be very subjective but it genuinely baffles me how these films are so highly rated when there’s so much wrong with them both.

Back
Top Bottom