What film did you watch last night?

Riddick 7/10

Kind of an Aliens to the Alien that was Pitch Black. More guns, more action, less horror. I think the characters are well done, liked the mercs and the linking with the Pitch Black story. Some bits are a bit too OTT even for Riddick, and there are a few leaps for the plot but it's a competent, safe sequel to the more ambitious (but not well executed) predecessor. Might have given it a 7.5 if it hadn't killed off the doggo.

Jackpot 5/10 (Amazon Prime).

Was tempted to turn off half way through, in hindsight that decision would have saved me 50 minutes of my life. A few funny quips/pop culture references but the rest was rubbish that deserves to be on streaming :p

Weak slapstick action scenes, totally predictable story. John Cena always says "U can't see me", I wish I hadn't seen this.

rp2000

The Beekeeper , 8/10 , wont win any awards but if you want an hour and a half of action and violence Jason Stratham doesnt dissapoint.

Last edited:
Going though some old discs ripping them to the server. Checking a few of the discs copied correctly and ended up watching the whole of Airheads.

Great cast and music. Not seen in a few years and it's still fun.

Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)

I don't mind a musical at all and will happily watch with my wife, who really likes them. However, this one wasn't for me.

Most of the songs sounded the same to my ears and when two characters were singing at the same time, but different lyrics I completely lost what was being sung.

I don't suppose it helps that I'm not familiar with any of the songs at all. Whereas other musicals can have the odd chart hit or you hear them over time and when you watch the actual musical, you have an idea of what you're in for. I've never seen The Sound of Music, from start to finish, but I know most of the songs.

All that said, it's not to say it's not a good film or musical, it just didn't float my boat. Costume and production design were top notch and there's no denying the Tim Burton aesthetic that always looks great on film.

Objectively it's probably 8/10 but for me no more than 4/10

The Abyss in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Not an audiophile, I know Cameron has been getting grief but I loved it, big step up from my old DVD. 8/10 :)

Alien: Romulus (2024) - 8/10
It’s a solid Alien film with all the hallmarks you would come to expect from the franchise but this does make the plot pretty straightforward and predictable.

The aesthetics, setting and music are great with the traditional chunky computers and Geiger’s iconic designs but there are few stand out moments and it goes on for a bit too long as it keeps trying to one-up itself.

The young cast work well, the horror themes are effectively done and the lighting especially in some scenes deserves credit.

Seems I'm on an old Brendan Fraser film kick. Did some more disc ripping last night and ended up watching Blast From The Past.

What a great romantic comedy it is too. Christopher Walken plays a magnificent mad husband/father and Brendan Fraser just plays a loveable innocent.

Back
Top Bottom