What film did you watch last night?

Rewatched a lot of the Alien franchise in the last week, in anticipation of the new one. The special effects look quite weak these days, but having seen the films quite a few times over the years, I gloss over that and grade based on other factors!

Alien 8-8.5/10
Aliens 8.5-9/10
Alien 3 6/10
Alien Resurrection 6/10
Alien Romulus 8-8.5/10 (might change after a repeat viewing)

Planning to watch Prometheus and Covenant in the next few days. Probably both 7.5-8/10

rp2000

The Beguiled (2017) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5592248/

I tried not to compare it to the excellent 1971 production with Clint Eastwood, though, it was nigh on impossible not to make comparisons.
Still, despite the original being my favourite by quite a long way, I did enjoy this rather a lot. I don't know if it was me, but it seemed a little shorter than expected.
Having said that, the original is only about 10–15 minutes longer.

Last edited:
Alien (1979)

After seeing the trailer for Alien: Romulus at the cinema the other week, I had a hankering after watching the original again.

After seeing it many times before and considering it's 45 years old, it's still a masterpiece in film making. The only thing that really dates the film is the CRT screens and maybe that most of the characters smoke.

It also looks and sounds fantastic on 4k Blu-ray.

Going to rewatch Aliens on 4k tonight.

10/10

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

Never got around to seeing it. It looked stunning (That is 70mm film for you) but I struggled with the pacing, this could be my modern sensibilities against a film from that era.

8/10

romulous 7/10
I have been really looking forward to seeing this as I'm a fan of the alien franchise
I even watched alien and aliens etc in the build up to this, but it is set between alien, and aliens, so it's alien 1.5 really
it had some nice nods to the original 2, but since it is set before aliens, it's nod to that movie felt a bit out of place, the start of the movie was spoilt for me, because two twenty something turds came into the cinema late, with both their mobile screens on full, in view so I had to calm down and try to forget that I missed the obligatory camera sweep over some kind of space craft with words setting the scene, they both sat in front of me, and I had to bite my tongue to not have a go at them, I'm sure that they will both go their own special hell for that.

Then the real movie started, but I was still a bit annoyed and I was not concentrating properly, so I missed both the starts really, then got into what was happening, the story was slow but it got interesting as soon as we began exploring the new characters
then it took a while to build up again, so i confess that I nodded off a bit.

Recovered from my nodding and forced myself to really watch the movie, eventually the premise to the movie was set, and we moved onto the next part of the movie, , it was nice to be on familiar alien territory again, yes, now we were in a real alien movie, excellent!

The story plodded on, with some surprising new twists and turns, but I must confess again that I kept nodding off, I'm glad that I went with my son, so he could explain some things to me afterward, my advice is to really keep your eyes peeled or you might miss some crutial parts in the middle of the movie, that set up some later parts of the story,
we saw it at my local twee small cinema city cinema, because the times were good, wish it had have been possible to have seen it at the imax, but ours is being refurbished atm, so no imax showings available
they fitted a lot into the movie, and I'm still thinking about it, which is usually a good sign that the movie was good for me
overall, you will enjoy this movie if you like the franchise, and you will really enjoy some of the settings/characters, i'm looking forward to streaming release, because I might do a full rewatch of, AvP >AvP requiem > prometheus >covenant >alien > romulous > aliens > alien 3 > resurrection, yeah, I'm looking forward to that rewatch, especially now romulous is in there too, as it sits perfectly in the chronological order of things
I enjoyed it, but I simply cannot give it more than 7 /10, there were too many loud, fake try hard jumpscares, which only lessen the impact of real jumpscares
it needed more pace before we got into the rnormal pace of an alien movie, which is pretty slow in itself.
there is usually a good new one liner in every alien movie, bitch, harsh languague? NUKE , like you never fked a robot etc, but I did not spot one here, maybe I will on the streaming rewatch! Something to look forward to.

Since we've been watching the TV show The Offer about the creating of the Godfather, i realised i don't think i've actually watched any of them. So watched the first one last night. Really enjoyed the film, but found it surprising that it felt quite dated even when watching a remastered 4k version.

Compared to something like the original Star Wars which was only made a few years later, which has been remastered and still looks pretty good.

Rewatched a lot of the Alien franchise in the last week, in anticipation of the new one. The special effects look quite weak these days, but having seen the films quite a few times over the years, I gloss over that and grade based on other factors!

Alien 8-8.5/10
Aliens 8.5-9/10
Alien 3 6/10
Alien Resurrection 6/10
Alien Romulus 8-8.5/10 (might change after a repeat viewing)

Planning to watch Prometheus and Covenant in the next few days. Probably both 7.5-8/10

rp2000
I'd probably rate them in this order:
Alien 9/10
Aliens 9/10
Alien 3 6/10
Prometheus 6/10
Resurrection 5/10
Covenant 5/10
Romulus N/A not seen yet

With all this talk of Alien Romulus, I had to revisit 3 and 4 as I never managed to watch them in the past fully. Both films are dreadful and absolute chore to watch

Alien 3 - 3/10
Alien Resurrection - 2/10

Last edited:
With all this talk of Alien Romulus, I had to revisit 3 and 4 as I never managed to watch them in the past fully. Both films are dreadful and absolute chore to watch

Alien 3 - 3/10
Alien Resurrection - 2/10
They're definitely not good, maybe I've been a little kind giving them a 5/10 :p

Covenant was the one that annoyed me the most though. The story totally depends on supposedly professional people doing utterly dumb things.

Aliens (1986)

A worthy sequel and I actually think I like it better than the first one. They actually compliment each other very well when watched back to back.

To my eyes and ears the 4k Blu-ray is superb, I have no idea what all the crying is about on the internet. Not that I've read or watched anything in any detail.

As for the film, it's another masterpiece in film making, with almost nothing to complain about. There's a few visual effects that have always looked a bit rubbish (mainly the drop ship through the clouds and a few other similar ones) maybe some of the sound effects are a little dated now, with particularly weak explosions.

The casting is nigh on perfect with everyone bringing their A game, to the point that you can't imagine any other actors playing anyone really. Plus Bill Paxton has some great lines and had me laughing out loud at lines I've heard many times before.

Considering how little time James Horner had to score the film, he absolutely knocked it out of the park, with the music really elevating the on screen action to dizzying heights.

10/10

More ripping means more older films. :D Not Brendan Fraser today though. Christian Slater this time.

Kuffs and Pump up the Volume (also ripped Broken Arrow, but have seen that recently)

Kuffs is really fun. It's not really a good film, but I like it. :D 4th wall breaks throughout. The swearing scene always makes me laugh a lot (and was apparently done to make fun of the PG13 rating :cry:)

Pump up the Volume is a more serious in places but still has a feelgood factor about it. Cracking soundtrack too.

Last edited:
Alien: Romulus - I wasn't overly impressed. Far too many nods to the previous films and some straight copying.
I thought the main girl and the cast in general were OK, but 'Andy' (David Jonsson) was excellent.
It looked good. Very 1979 Alien (By far my favourite in the franchise). Love the clicky-squeeky computer noises :)
6/10
Rook (Ash) was very uncanny valley. Though I appreciate Ian Holm died a few years ago, so couldn't really de-age him.

2 Guns (2013)

Seen it a few times before and it's still a great popcorn movie. Wahlberg and Washington have some great chemistry and the whole thing just works for me.

I'm very surprised they didn't make a sequel.

7/10

Back
Top Bottom