What film did you watch last night?

IT Chspter One. Thought I’d take a safe bet and watch this again inetead of somthing I hadn’t watched before. Good film.

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024)

Let's start with the good.

The costumes, vehicles, the practical stunt work and the nods to previous films. I quite liked Hemsworth's performance in most of his scenes. Although I did feel he was doing a poor Les Patterson impression at times.

The bad.

A lot of the CGI was awful and stood out a mile. Dementus' nose stood out as fake in the first frame he was in and looked even worse when the light was behind it. It was too long and outside of action sequences was just boring.

But it's biggest flaw is it's a film nobody wanted and box office takings proved that. Miller should've made another Mad Max story but instead he's probably killed off the franchise.

4/10

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024)

A lot of the CGI was awful and stood out a mile. Dementus' nose stood out as fake in the first frame he was in and looked even worse when the light was behind it. It was too long and outside of action sequences was just boring.
I read that as you being annoyed that Dementus’ nose was too long and boring when it wasn’t involved in action sequences. :cry:

Trap (2024) - 5/10

It’s a great concept for a story, but this film didn’t really manage to pull it off – you never felt any tension or suspense from the trap and the ending was far too convoluted and drawn out.

The concert was pleasant enough but the songs weren’t particularly memorable and the show lacked substance and spectacle.

Some great acting performances and some fun daddy/daughter moments but without a surprise twist, it really felt lacking.

Borderlands (2024) - 6/10

A very tame adaptation of the game series with some poor casting choices and special effects, but it was enjoyable and good enough entertainment.

Pandora looks the part as the junkyard planet and there’s a good roster of characters who sort of look and act the part, but they don’t get much development and are much too tame in their personalities; the villains especially were poor.

The plot was ok with good music and good pacing, even if some of the locations were a bit dull, and the humour, like the source material, was very hit and miss.

The action was entertaining but nowhere near gory or violent enough and the CGI during the big action scenes was shockingly shoddy. The ending was fitting but could have been better.

Deadpool & Wolverine (2024)

We were supposed to go see it at the cinema during its first week, but ended up going yesterday afternoon.

Our theatre was surprisingly full for a film in it's third week and was still an iSense showing, which almost never happens at my local Odeon. Top Gun Maverick was probably the last time.

I thoroughly enjoyed the film and even my wife, who generally eye rolls at Deadpool, also enjoyed it and even commented she'd watch it again.

If you want to criticise, then it is really a standard super hero plot, mixed in with comedy sketches. But the action and comedy balance is probably perfect, the cameos and other Marvel characters that are in it are great and fun surprises (assuming, like me, you avoid trailers and news about films you intend to watch) The soundtrack is great and the CGI is some of the best I've seen.

It does help with some of the jokes that you've seen some of the other Marvel films, but there's no need to do homework before you go. Although I'd guess I was the only one in the theatre that got the Sling Blade film reference.

End credit sequence is definitely worth staying in your seat for.

After the film, I said to my wife that's a billon dollar movie, only to read it's already made over $900. So it isn't doing to be on Disney+ anytime soon and well worth a trip to the cinema.

8.5/10

Felt like watching Blade Runner The Final Cut, so I watched it. Was reminded recently of the "Seen things you people wouldn't believe" and had a nostalgia spike. One of the best constructed worlds in any Sci Fi film in terms of the background detail and atmosphere.10/10 in all respects.

The First Omen.

With references made to the original movie, I thought this was quite a decent effort. I didn't find it quite as predictable as I imagined it would be, and there were a one or two genuinely surprising moments that were quite graphic. On the downside, I thought a couple of the casting choices were a little weak, though as the film progressed, it became less noticeable. Maybe it just took a little time for me to get accustomed to seeing someone in a different role.

I think if, like me, you enjoyed the first two movies, then you will probably be quite happy to see this one as well.

Borderlands 5.5/10
Deeply average sci-fi film, looked like the games and had some fun sequences.

Trap 6.5/10
Ok but silly trapped serial killer trying to evade capture. Not a lot of originality.

Maxxxine.

Set in the 80s, and boy did the director want us to know. There's setting a film in the 80s, and then there's going to a museum of the 80s, finding every single item and cramming it in to every single scene. I absolutely love the 80s/90s and this film managed to stuff so much in that it just irritated me. The story was a bumbling mess, taking second place to this ridiculous obsession with stuffing everything 80s in to the movie, the acting wasn't too bad but when the script is so crap, the actors can only do so much.

4/10, turned it off after 40 mins.

Interesting. These scores seem generous compared to initial responses from critics, YouTubers etc. who generally seem to consider it a total dumpster fire rather than just being average.
have you seen the box office earnings ? only 4 million cost a few hundred million. this will be on channel 5 soon. :p

Back
Top Bottom