What film did you watch last night?

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare - 6.5/10

I feel it started strong, then dragged a little with a reasonably fun ending. I'd assumed the 'based on a true story' was like Fargo's claim, but at the end they gave info on the real people, which is also fun. (Obviously, not much like in the film, but still...)

**EDIT** After posting this, I checked on what others said and I see I'm not the only one who thought it started better than it went on to be.

Last edited:
Toy Story 4.

Not my favourite Toy Story entry. Not because it's bad but simply because the ending.

My daughter is really enjoying watching the films so we've had 1-3 on repeat pretty much the last few weeks (along with A Bugs Life. Always surprised this film doesn't get as much love!) but she wanted to watch the 4th.

So we did. And I cried. Again. :cry:

All 3 Riddick films. Decent trilogy.
Ha I've been watching them recently. Always loved Riddick as a character.

Pitch Black 8/10 Still think this is a great film, low budget but still holds up pretty well.
Dark Fury 7/10 Slightly odd animation style but I liked the story and it was good they kept the same voice actors.
Chronicles of Riddick Director's Cut 6.5/10 Some great scenes, wonderful sets and costumes but the story was a bit of a let down and a couple of bits are just silly (most notably the running from the sun bit)
Will watch Riddick at some point this week, barely remember it. Now we just need a remake of Escape from Butcher Bay...

Ha I've been watching them recently. Always loved Riddick as a character.

Pitch Black 8/10 Still think this is a great film, low budget but still holds up pretty well.
Dark Fury 7/10 Slightly odd animation style but I liked the story and it was good they kept the same voice actors.
Chronicles of Riddick Director's Cut 6.5/10 Some great scenes, wonderful sets and costumes but the story was a bit of a let down and a couple of bits are just silly (most notably the running from the sun bit)
Will watch Riddick at some point this week, barely remember it. Now we just need a remake of Escape from Butcher Bay...

In the old days when there were things as DVD Director/Crew/Cast Commentaries, I do miss them, I remember the one for Pitch Black where Radha Mitchells character was crawling towards the camera and you could see down her top and the director, in his commentary, said, and I paraphrase, "to all the teenage boys watching, you're welcome".

On of my favourite DVD commentaries was John Carpenter & Kurt Russell doing The Thing. Just those two getting drunker and drunker chatting about the film.

In the old days when there were things as DVD Director/Crew/Cast Commentaries, I do miss them, I remember the one for Pitch Black where Radha Mitchells character was crawling towards the camera and you could see down her top and the director, in his commentary, said, and I paraphrase, "to all the teenage boys watching, you're welcome".

On of my favourite DVD commentaries was John Carpenter & Kurt Russell doing The Thing. Just those two getting drunker and drunker chatting about the film.
Do they still do them? I can't say I've bought a film on disc for years. Yeah I always used to love listening to commentaries on my favourite films.

Shadow in the Cloud (2020) - 5/10

The plot is nothing as expected – it starts off atmospheric and tense as she battles against misogyny, enemy planes and monsters but becomes ridiculous in the second half with a barrage of over the top unrealistic action and plot twists.

The constant banter is a bit much at times but it creates a ‘cabin fever’ element and although it looks low budget, the special effects and CGI are effective.

Good acting and artistic vision but it should have been shorter and stuck to the style of the first half.

Loved Vin Diesel as Riddick, but can't watch him now due to the cheesefest of F&F :(

I have totally gone off Ryan Reynolds too, he seemed to be appearing everywhere at one point - still forced myself to Deadpool 3 though :)

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024)
I have to confess I quite enjoyed this. It's well shot, believable stunts, great sets and costume. Definitely worth the time investment. 7/10

I have to confess I quite enjoyed this. It's well shot, believable stunts, great sets and costume. Definitely worth the time investment. 7/10

Is it my TV or do the action scenes look like they are running fast / been sped up in this?

Looks really odd, maybe its a motion setting.

Is it my TV or do the action scenes look like they are running fast / been sped up in this?

Looks really odd, maybe its a motion setting.
I think that’s always been the case for the Mad Max series. It happens during the vehicle scenes.

Shadow in the Cloud (2020) - 5/10

The plot is nothing as expected – it starts off atmospheric and tense as she battles against misogyny, enemy planes and monsters but becomes ridiculous in the second half with a barrage of over the top unrealistic action and plot twists.

The constant banter is a bit much at times but it creates a ‘cabin fever’ element and although it looks low budget, the special effects and CGI are effective.

Good acting and artistic vision but it should have been shorter and stuck to the style of the first half.
Did get a bit to ridiculous when she climbed around the underside of the plane in flight and when she fell and was throwen back into the bomber by the exploding japanese fighter.

I thoroughly enjoyed this too. My wife didn't want to watch it because "I don't like films set in deserts" (yes, I know, but she's my wife so I have to accept it :D) but we both really enjoyed it. I noticed a ton more CGI than Fury Road but it was so well done that after a few scenes I didn't even notice it. The story was really good too, for me and easy 7.5.

As for mine, The Instigators. I love films where heists go wrong (think Snatch) and this was one of those, albeit a lot more deadpan than tongue in cheek and the setting was really good too. The way the film pokes holes in it's own plot is hilarious and Casey Affleck exceeded my expectations. 7/10, worth a watch but nothing spectacular.

I think that’s always been the case for the Mad Max series. It happens during the vehicle scenes.
I loved Fury Road but the way scenes seemed sped up in Furiosa seemed really off-putting. I had to stop it several times and check my tv settings.

The film overall was ok, not in the same league as Fury Road but still fun.

Deadpool & Wolverine - 7/10
Probably on a par with the first one and Hugh Jackman really carries the film later on. Emma Corrin is suitably creepy as the bad gal. Most of the humour fell flat for me, only really chuckled at Gambits story about where he came from.

Back
Top Bottom