What film did you watch last night?

Star Wars - Episode 4 A New Hope - Absolutely amazing, first time since my childhood where i was able to watch it in the cinema. This is what the original material should be like not this Agenda driven drivel made by Kathleen Kennedy and current heads at Lucasfilm. the Crawl alone sent shivers. I must have watched this movie dozens of times but as always on the big screen i always notice things i didnt before. The remaster was crystal clear I saw every dent, smear and grim on the droids, costumes and set. the practical effects was simply amazing. This is where the cast - Mark Hamill, Carrie fisher, Harrison Ford, Alex Guiness, Peter Cushing and ofc James Earl Jones as Vadar were in their prime and at their very best.

Cant wait for Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi in the coming weeks.

Uglies on Netflix 3/10

More YA sci-fi dross, not even enjoyable with your brain switched off. Tried to go for a maze runner, hunger games setup without the writing or acting behind it. Based on books so I’m not surprised if it gets an equally poor sequel. Sad lack of decent sci-fi outside Apple TV.

Still feeling a bit ropey so after rewatching all the Godfathers and since we’re watching Rings of Power we’ve rewatched the Hobbits and just finished Fellowship of the Ring.

I’d previously never seen the Hobbit films and was always put off by the poor comments, but I actually thought they were pretty good.
Only real disappointment was the big battle which was over as soon as the Eagles turned up.

It kind of ruins the whole stories then because the easy approach would be for the eagles to just fly the ring to Mordor!

Sunshine (2007)

Watched it around the time it was available on DVD and haven't seen it since and couldn't remember almost anything about what happens, so almost like watching for the first time.

Quite an enjoyable film, a touch slow to begin with but once it gets going it's very watchable. You have to suspend a lot of belief with the overall premise. As well as some other aspects of outer and physics that nearly all science fiction films ignore just as much.

Overall it's a well made and well acted film with great sound design and a great score. I'm guessing that certain aspects of this film were an influence on Christopher Nolan's Interstellar.

7/10

Still feeling a bit ropey so after rewatching all the Godfathers and since we’re watching Rings of Power we’ve rewatched the Hobbits and just finished Fellowship of the Ring.

I’d previously never seen the Hobbit films and was always put off by the poor comments, but I actually thought they were pretty good.
Only real disappointment was the big battle which was over as soon as the Eagles turned up.

It kind of ruins the whole stories then because the easy approach would be for the eagles to just fly the ring to Mordor!

They likely would have died before they got anywhere near it.

They were only able to rescue Frodo/Sam etc because Sauron and the Witch King was defeated by then.

Sunshine (2007)

Watched it around the time it was available on DVD and haven't seen it since and couldn't remember almost anything about what happens, so almost like watching for the first time.

Quite an enjoyable film, a touch slow to begin with but once it gets going it's very watchable. You have to suspend a lot of belief with the overall premise. As well as some other aspects of outer and physics that nearly all science fiction films ignore just as much.

Overall it's a well made and well acted film with great sound design and a great score. I'm guessing that certain aspects of this film were an influence on Christopher Nolan's Interstellar.

7/10

Thats on my watchlist. I havent seen in a long time so cant wait :D

Last edited:
Polar 2019 - 8/10 Mads Mikkelsen is a brilliant actor and this is proper switch your brain off and enjoy action. Some over the top acting but its tying with John wick and assassins for me for hitman action.

The Last Straw - 6/10

The first 3 quarters were well done but the last 15 of course suspended disbelief and rational thinking. Otherwise would have been a 7 or 8.

But if you like Horror movies it is worth a watch.

Last edited:
John Q (2002)

Went in blind again on this one and it's a bit of a mess.

You see the credits at the beginning and you've got Denzel Washington, James Woods, Robert Duval, Anne Heche and Ray Liotta. So you think you're in safe hands, even if it was just Denzel's name in the credits.

It starts off ok, John is a factory worker with a reduced hours at his job and load of debt. His son then falls ill and needs a heart transplant that John's insurance won't cover.

So you think you're in for a heart string pulling film that's critical of the health care system in the USA.

Then it takes a completely ridiculous turn and becomes more like The Negotiator. Then the film just keeps ramping up the ridiculous, while throwing in some phoned in performances from Duval and Liotta.

Tonally it's all over the place. One minute it's a weepy, then it's an action film, then it's political and there's even some misplaced comedy elements.

Even though Denzel is pretty consistent throughout, I still think it was a film he shouldn't have done. As the script asks the character he plays to do and say some pretty ridiculous things within parameters of what the film's main subject matters is.

On the plus side, my wife thought it was ok and apparently I just over analyse everything.

My score 3/10
My wife's score 7/10 (she's wrong :D )

I just finished a complete SpiderMan run through from Maguire to Garfield to Holland. Really enjoyed them all although Spider-Man 3 and Amazing SpiderMan 2 are the weakest. Spider-Man 2 with Doc Oc is probably my favourite Maguire smashes it as the conflicted hero. No Way Home really lands is emotional hits well. All I need now is an Amazing SpiderMan 3 with Tom Hardy as Venom to give Garfield a trilogy as I loved his part in No Way Home.

Back
Top Bottom