What film did you watch last night?

Memory (2022) - 6/10

Two stories which eventually combine – a hitman looking at retirement who won’t cross a moral line on his last job and the FBI taking down a Mexican child abuse ring.

There’s nothing which truly stands out about the film, but its serviceable entertainment with its slow pace and good acting from an older cast of clichéd characters.

The tough subject matters are dealt with maturely and the action and special effects are ok, but there’s no real suspense or surprises and it stumbles rather than soars through its final act.

The Marvels 5/10

Had some fun parts, but felt like fan fiction in places. It kind of just happened and was over, with the one dimensional baddie (ive rounded this one up!) adding nothing at all.

Shrek 2 - 4/5

On a par with Shrek but not quite as good as the best animation films.

Great story, loads of funny moments and, unlike Shrek, the animation and models have aged really well.

First two deserved a far better end to the trilogy than the third.

The Lost Boys - 7/10

Some truly, award-winningly, stunningly, Star Trek: Discovery level bad dialogue at times :o But Kiefer Sutherland getting to gnaw on the scenery is always fun, the makeup effects hold up, it's got that '80s nostalgia going for it and it doesn't take itself too seriously :cool:

The Lost Boys - 7/10

Some truly, award-winningly, stunningly, Star Trek: Discovery level bad dialogue at times :o But Kiefer Sutherland getting to gnaw on the scenery is always fun, the makeup effects hold up, it's got that '80s nostalgia going for it and it doesn't take itself too seriously :cool:

Only a 7?!? :D I thought it was a 9/10 when i watched when it came out as a kid! I'm curious to see how it's held up myself now

The Lost Boys - 7/10

They do screenings of this in one of the caverns in castleton now and again, probably soon with the dark nights drawing in

Last edited:
Longlegs (2024)

Somehow this manages to be quite an original take on a well worn subject for horror/thriller films. Genuinely quite creepy and skin crawling at times. I also liked how a lot of the shots and scenes were lensed or framed to heighten the tension or mood.

Nicolas Cage was also excellent as the title character and made a real impact in the few scenes he's actually in. He definitely made you feel properly creeped out every time he was on screen.

This is the first Osgood Perkins film I've watched, but I'd happily seek out some of his other work, based on this effort.

7/10

Conan the barbarian 6.5/10
The Arnie original which I've never seen before. Actually much better than I was expecting. A good old-fashioned style romp.

Surely this IP is ripe for improving for 'modern audiences' by now :p

The Union (2024) - 5/10

A run of the mill action comedy adventure where an average joe is recruited by a clandestine agency to recover a McGuffin and save the world.

The outlandish premise is a bit on the nose and feels like a poor imitation of Mission: Impossible at times, but it’s fun enough and entertaining enough while it lasts.

Passable acting from the passable characters and whilst the plot has been done many times before and the constant dramatic music is a bit offputting, the final car chase is quite entertaining if not overly original.

Last edited:
Killing Ground - Aussie ‘bad things happen on a camping trip’ movie. Pretty run of the mill while entertaining enough. Nothing new or ground breaking but enough ‘yikes’ moments for fans of the genre - 6/10 passes an evening and not terrible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom