What film did you watch last night?

A quiet place day one, another disappointment.

‘Horror’ is never a genre I’ve been able to get into, I can’t remember ever seeing a movie and thinking wow, that was 10/10, would watch again.

From 28 days later to Get Out, nothing to write home about.

Reactions: R3X
I don’t, we’ve taken a notion this week to try a couple of scary movies hence watching Oddity the previous night.

As I said, it’s a genre I’ve never been able to get into so I don’t normally bother.

If anyone has any good suggestions to change my mind, I’m all ears.

A quiet place day one, another disappointment.

‘Horror’ is never a genre I’ve been able to get into, I can’t remember ever seeing a movie and thinking wow, that was 10/10, would watch again.

From 28 days later to Get Out, nothing to write home about.

Horror?

Last edited:
A quiet place day one... and agree it could have been much better, wish they made a more horror genre off it and made it 18+

Its like they tried to make it pg or something

One Cut of the Dead - 8/10

Tough to talk about this without spoiling it. It's best going in knowing nothing really. It's a Japanese amateur zombie film with one cut long for the whole film. It's very funny :D

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice
Thought it was a decent film, definitely made me laugh at times. Did feel a little rushed and the ending especially seemed a bit anti climactic. Keaton nailed it after so many years and Willem Dafoe was great. 7/10

Bringing Out the Dead (1999)

One of the few Martin Scorsese films I hadn't seen before and it turn out to be a bit of a disappointment. All the ingredients are there but it just never cooks in to anything great.

5/10

Carrie (1976) - 8/10

Realised I’d never actually watched this and really glad I have now. Great film. Sissy Spacek is excellent. Much like the book it’s very focused and all the better for it.

However, the chap who plays Tommy Ross, I have no words… That hair. :cry:

Last edited:
The Substance

It had a good premise and setup but it just turned into rubbish in the second half. It could have been a decent thriller or revenge film, lots of directions it could have taken that would have worked. It also seemed like they were pulling too many ideas out of other films, similar to how Kill Bill went crazy with the homages.

5/10

Smile 2

I hadn't seen the first one but I don't think it was needed. It was a surprisingly good psychological horror. I was expecting some generic horror film but it had a bit more to it and Naomi Scott is a good actress.

7/10

Woman of the Hour 7.5/10

I've always had a soft spot for Anna Kendrick but don't end up seeing a lot of things she's in because...well she seems to star in a lot of bad films. That's why I was happy to see that not only is this one getting good reviews but she directed it! It's a great effort for a debut, well paced and suitably unsettling.

I don’t, we’ve taken a notion this week to try a couple of scary movies hence watching Oddity the previous night.

As I said, it’s a genre I’ve never been able to get into so I don’t normally bother.

If anyone has any good suggestions to change my mind, I’m all ears.
What other genres do you like?

say it was Sci fi, then something like The Thing may be a good one.

Kinds of Kindness (2024)

Weirder than The Favourite and not as good as Poor Things.

To be honest, at three hours long it was a bit of a trial. The film is basically split in to three one hour "parables" that are loosely connected, mainly from the cast playing different characters.

During the first part I said to wife that there's unlikely to be a satisfactory conclusion to anything or any chance that it might make any sense.

To be fair to the film, we did stick it out until the end, but it's certainly a film I'll never watch again.

If you liked the two films I mentioned or any of his other work, then you might enjoy this. But it's definitely not one for casual viewing.

Jesse Plemons is always a pleasure to watch though.

6/10

Terrifier

This seems to be a popular horror film series so thought I’d give it a whirl.

It’s clearly low budget but that arguably gives it charm. All the actors / actresses do a decent job. The villain is equally weird and funny, some brutal / shocking deaths mixed in with some amusing ‘knowingly not trying to be realistic’ gore effects.

I think it accomplished what it set out to do pretty well, might give the other films a go.

6.5/10

Back
Top Bottom