What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
I agree with Easyrider, I can't watch them anymore, stupid changes and could have been so much better, missed opportunity to do something truly epic. Dreading what he may doing to the Hobbit, the behind the scenes videos have me worried!

It was truly epic, and it's silly to suggest otherwise. The books are barely readable at times, let alone transferable to film. The last 100 or so pages are an awful grind, for example. When you're making a film like this, you have to make compromises, because you can't make a film this expensive if only 25 hardcore LOTR fans in hobbit ears are going to watch it.

Soldato
Over the last few weeks I have watched the three Lord of the Rings films again (plain DVD vanilla, no extensions or anything) with my two boys as an introduction to the world of middle earth (or so they understand what is going on in the Lego Lord of the Rings game due next month).

I think that the films are fantastic, I had not watched them for a very long time and yes I would like to see the extended editions and get a fuller picture but as they are they represent a great many hours of film entertainment for everyone.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Watched cabin in the woods last night, as others have said, awful. Also went to see taken 2 yesterday. Thought it was decent enough, Liam Neeson running a lot ruined it, seemed too old and fat!

Other recent films were seeking a friend, I got bored of it, gf enjoyed it.
Looper - some parts seemed quite dragged out to me, other then that I found it enjoyable

Looking forward to Skyfall, dare I say it breaking dawn pt. 2 trailer was good, made it look watchable :s

Permabanned
Saw 3 was on the telly last night.

Not great films, but watchable.

The only grim bit IMO is the Indian guy with the chains through his flesh. When he rips out the achilles ones it makes me feel slightly ewww.

First was worth a 7/10 rest are a 6/10.

Soldato
Was actually 2 nights ago but I thought I would watch Wilderness as it was on Netflix and have to say it was a pretty decent effort, a British film to boot and stars Sean Pertwee who I think is great, especially in Dog Soldiers.

Caporegime
Everything about The Hunger Games was terrible; the dialogue, the characters, the plot etc.

I've literally just watched it. It's actually pretty good. Unfortunately, the main character in the book is sullen and doesn't want to play along, so in the film it comes across as the actress not being up to much. Beyond that... The film is good, and my only real criticisms were that the muttations were stupid (but they were in the book as well) and that some things didn't look how I'd imagined them when reading the book, which isn't really a criticism at all.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Strange Days 7.5/10

Been on my to watch list for ages but for some reason never got round to it.

I liked it, and as soon as the line was said immediately realised that's where Fatboy Slim got the 'Right here, right now' sample from :)

Soldato
Snow White and the Huntsman - 9/10, I really enjoyed it. Kristen Stewart is a better actor than I realised, I really liked the dark tone of it and the special effects/CGI were impressive too. Shame that it looks like a sequel has been shelved due to Stewart's indiscretions, but there we go.

Soldato
It was truly epic, and it's silly to suggest otherwise. The books are barely readable at times, let alone transferable to film. The last 100 or so pages are an awful grind, for example. When you're making a film like this, you have to make compromises, because you can't make a film this expensive if only 25 hardcore LOTR fans in hobbit ears are going to watch it.

I wondered why it took me a while to get through it. :p

Seriously though, you've hit the nail on the head there. The films were made with the masses in mind, as all films with such hefty budgets are. You can't just turn the book/s directly into films. That might please hie hard fans, but everyone else would stay away. That would be a failure. Jackson did what he had to do, so the films would appeal to a wider audience, to people who have never read the book/s, and never will. If that means getting flak from die hard fans, so be it.

There are some things he could have done better, but these things can be forgiven IMO, considering it was no small achievement. Remember, for a long time, people thought the book/s were unfilmable. Some will still agree with that, but the old adage applies. You can't please everyone.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Personally I think the Lord of the Rings films are some of the best films made, utterly brilliant. I think to call them a failure is nothing short of hilarious, they might not be to your taste, but you can not fault the production nor the success of the film.

I also think that as far as book to film conversions go, Jackson did exceptionally well with a book that was always refered to as 'unfilmable', I think the extended editions are as good as any film of those books were ever going to get.

In short, another loleasyrider.

Also, back on track, I'm watching Jurassic Park III at the minute and watched Prometheus last night :)

Prometheus was brilliant on blu ray.

Soldato
can speak korean? get a subbed version. it's a great film.

I did and yea, horror movies from Asia are often better. Dark Water was another one I watched years ago

missed opportunity to do something truly epic.

The man himself said the book could not be made into a movie. I always liked the LOTR cartoon that was done, maybe this should be reattempted
The word gets thrown around, but the original meaning of Epic is this book or similar grand tales. Indescribable is a fair synonym I think, hence Jackson did a commendable job

Battleship - there is a great pace to this movie, without that it'd be empty. CGI gets increasingly impressive 6/10

Last edited:
Soldato
Watched a movie yesterday called Safety Not Guaranteed and stars the phenomenally gorgeous Aubrey Plazza. :D

She plays one of three magazine employees who head out on an assignment to interview a guy who has placed a classified ad seeking a companion for time travel. I found it movie itself quite humerous if a little obvious in the direction it was going to take.

It's definitely one i'd recommend though - 8/10 :)

Associate
Enemy at the Gates - 8/10

I stumbled upon this film last night whilst flicking through the Freeview channels. I quite enjoyed it and thought Jude Law did a good job as a Russian sniper in a cat and mouse battle with a German sniper.

Back
Top Bottom