What film did you watch last night?

Man of Honour
Cabin in the Woods

A twisted and unusual take on the familiar "cabin in the woods" formula.

9/10
An absolutely fantastic film, not what I was expecting at all, a good twist indeed, lots of references to other films as well. Oh and teh ending is brilliant.

Last edited:
Soldato
Loopers

I like it, will give it a good 8/10 as the story is great with the odd loop holes (HA!). Not quite up there with Inception but interesting enough for a Sunday evening with the missus.

Brave and Looper, both absolutely fantastic.

Yes Looper has what could be deemed as plotholes but as we don't have time travel yet, how do we know the film got it wrong :D Scientists can theorise all they want but until it really did exists, we could never know how it would work.

Rian Johnson covered himself for what people would percieve as 'Plot-holes'

The Diner scene, when Bruce Willis says we could sit here and discuss time travel with cause and effect all day, but we're not going to because that isn't the point here.

Nobody know's how it would play out realistically, and you can sit on the internet or with a friend and discuss it back and forth for hours, I have before, it's brilliant discussion, but I wouldn't try and dissect a film based on that sole point, it's everything else you need to be looking at.

Absolutely brilliant piece of original story telling. He has a very real set of characters, based in a somewhat quasi-sci-fi world.

Soldato
end of watch - 8.5/10

awaydays - 8.5/10

awaydays (or was it awaygames?) was on bbc 2 last night. didn't srat til 12:30 and ended gone 2 but it was really good. about liverpool football firms in the early 80's. great soundtrack too.

Soldato
Killer Joe - 6/10. Some of it was very decent, however it was very different to how I expected. Which, in general, is no bad thing but watching it with the parents was a bit strange...

Soldato
How to train your dragon - 7.797/10 quite enjoyed it, reminded me of Avatar.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I was watching him befriend the dragon.

HTTYD had me at the edge of my seat. In Avatar, there were very few scenes where I was on the end of my seat. I think the scene where the big tree falls down was the "big" scene of Avatar, but apart from that, it wasnt particularly great.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Skyfall.

Took the wife out for food and then hit the cinema, it wasn't packed as Twilight just opened, but there was enough people in the screen to get a nice atmosphere.

I was very impressed with it all. There was enough action without being over the top (which I feel is a downside attributed largely to the Michael Bay era of film making), there was a tense uncertainty with the story that wasn't as straight forward as previous Bond films and there was some great acting.

The best bit was the villain's performance. I won't give away spoilers, but easily the best Bond villain in recent memory IMO. The whole persona was well portrayed and believable, it was eloquent and sophisticated whilst at the same time easy to follow and subtle in places. Daniel Craig was also great, possibly his best since he landed the role, and portrayed the dynamic of his situation well.

Of course, there are things I'd change.. I found some scenes predictable and so obvious a moron could guess what's going to happen, and Eve was mis-cast, but these are minors that don't detract from the story, but did bug me.

The length was perfect (ooo er!) and it flew by. Didn't feel rushed or stretched out for the sake of things, and the pacing was good. As said earlier, they could have made the mistake of over-action orientating scenes for the sake of things, but I'm glad to say some of the better scenes were largely talking or establishing shots with a dollop of great action scenes as opposed to many generic shots.

If you haven't seen the film, I urge you to go see it on a cinema screen. The audio and cinematography were top drawer. The audio mix was powerful and directional in places with a decent score and there were wide angle, low light shots in the film that really set scenes or simply added an extra dimension.

I'll give the film 8.5/10 on the basis that Eve was mis-cast and there were elements of predictability in an otherwise great story. The ending was also ripped out of Home Alone :D

Associate
Saw Amour yesterday. 9/10. Typical Haneke. Great film. Not so much as a form of entertainment though.

Then I saw 'Silver Linings Playbook'. 6/10. Good film. Chris Tucker was the best thing about it. Didn't think it was as clever and funny as it thought it was.

Back
Top Bottom